Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

    Here are the most recent games I've uploaded to my Google drive:

    1988 Feb 27 BC at BU
    1988 Nov 01 BU at BC
    1988 Nov 08 PC at BU
    1988 Dec 13 Lowell at BU
    1989 Dec 09 UVM at BU
    1990 NCAA Championship Colgate vs Wisconsin (poor tracking/no audio - local Boston broadcast)
    1991 Hockey East Championship (upgraded with better video)

    Bonus Material
    College Hockey USA week of 7 November 1988 (partial)

    My 1990 NCAA championship game tape tracked poorly and there were only snippets of sound when I played it back. It was unmarked and I didn't even know I had it, but for whatever reason I kept it. As my Betamax could only record one program I guess I scheduled the championship game hoping BU would be in it as I was at the games. It was a local Boston broadcast with Bob Neumeier doing the play-by-play and UNH Coach Bob Kullen doing the color (I think), so it is not the ESPN broadcast version.

    I also upgraded the 1991 Hockey East championship game with better video for most of it, but these two hour versions do cut out a lot, including the pre-game talk (also missing from my tape), post game celebration and awards presentations. It took a bit of time to edit back together as I had to be careful to make sure I found all the cuts.

    I have one more game that was on beta tape that I need to edit as the tape stuck at one point in the first period. I should get that done sometime tomorrow and that will be the end of the 1990 and earlier games. I also have a tape of the UNH at BU exhibition game from 1990, but it is in very, very poor condition so I'm not going to convert it.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

    Comment


    • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

      I've just uploaded the last pre-1990 game I have that I know about to my drive: 1988 Jan 29 PC at BU. I only lost about 15-20 seconds of game time due to the tape problem, so I hope it's not noticeable. If you watch the game and find were the cut is post you found it. Also, in the third period Lyle Wildgoose (remember him) scored while sitting on his butt. Maybe not as impressive as Lane McDonald's goal, but Lyle's came first by over a year.

      Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

      BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

      Comment


      • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

        Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        I've just uploaded the last pre-1990 game I have that I know about to my drive: 1988 Jan 29 PC at BU. I only lost about 15-20 seconds of game time due to the tape problem, so I hope it's not noticeable. If you watch the game and find were the cut is post you found it. Also, in the third period Lyle Wildgoose (remember him) scored while sitting on his butt. Maybe not as impressive as Lane McDonald's goal, but Lyle's came first by over a year.

        Sean
        It's too bad that Lyle Wildgoose didn't skate on a line with Maine's Bear Trapp.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

        Comment


        • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

          There have been some cool names in Hockey East over the years.

          Comment


          • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

            Seems there is a lot more interest watching games from the BU hockey archives than there were watching the last two years. Very telling.

            Comment


            • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

              Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              Seems there is a lot more interest watching games from the BU hockey archives than there were watching the last two years. Very telling.
              Indeed. I can't help but wonder how the last two seasons would've played out with DQ driving the bus.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

              Comment


              • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                Sean - are either of the two recently added PC at BU games the one where IIRC, Kelfer and Tomlinson had like 7 points each, and maybe Joe Sacco had 4? I think that was the game where Kelfer also had what was at the time the fastest Hat Trick in HE history.

                Also, is the BU at BC game by chance the one with the infamous ENG by BC after Parker pulled the goalie on a delayed penalty, thinking the penalty was against BC since we touched the puck and no whistle blew. That was a game I was sure was at WBA, but you corrected me a few years back, it was at Conte.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                Comment


                • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                  Originally posted by defkit View Post
                  Sean - are either of the two recently added PC at BU games the one where IIRC, Kelfer and Tomlinson had like 7 points each, and maybe Joe Sacco had 4? I think that was the game where Kelfer also had what was at the time the fastest Hat Trick in HE history.

                  Also, is the BU at BC game by chance the one with the infamous ENG by BC after Parker pulled the goalie on a delayed penalty, thinking the penalty was against BC since we touched the puck and no whistle blew. That was a game I was sure was at WBA, but you corrected me a few years back, it was at Conte.
                  Yes, the 8 Nov 1988 PC at BU game is the one in which the Kelfer (4-3-7), Tomlinson (3-4-7) and Joe Sacco (2-2-4) line combined for 18 points on 9 goals and 9 assists. And yes, Kelfer's hat trick was, and as of the start of the 2019-20 season still was, the fastest in league play.

                  And no, I don't have that BU-BC game. As I recall it was a bad loss, and IIFC, the last game Bryan LaFort not only played but the last one he dress for as a Terrier.

                  Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

                  BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

                  Comment


                  • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                    Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    Indeed. I can't help but wonder how the last two seasons would've played out with DQ driving the bus.
                    I think the following would've potentially happened.

                    Impact on 2018-19 season
                    + Brady Tkachuk would've been more inclined to return for his Sophomore year before moving on to Ottawa
                    + BU would've likely had a similar season to the 2017-18 season, playing its way into the NCAA tourney

                    Impact on 2019-20 season:
                    + Joel Farabee would've returned for his Sophomore year
                    + Shane Bowers would've returned for his Junior year
                    - David Farrance might not have blossomed as much as he did or may have moved on from BU. I've gathered that Farrance/Quinn didn't always see eye-2-eye and the player/coach relationship between Farrance/Albie is very strong.
                    ? Would Oettinger have returned for his Senior year?
                    ? Would Fensore and/or Phillips have even been at BU? Both decommitted from Quinnipiac and committed to BU following the DQ->Albie coaching change. Phillips also would've been likely pushed back a year if Farabee and/or Bowers returned.
                    + BU would've likely been a Top-10 team nationally

                    Comment


                    • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                      Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                      I think the following would've potentially happened.

                      Impact on 2018-19 season
                      + Brady Tkachuk would've been more inclined to return for his Sophomore year before moving on to Ottawa
                      + BU would've likely had a similar season to the 2017-18 season, playing its way into the NCAA tourney

                      Impact on 2019-20 season:
                      + Joel Farabee would've returned for his Sophomore year
                      + Shane Bowers would've returned for his Junior year
                      - David Farrance might not have blossomed as much as he did or may have moved on from BU. I've gathered that Farrance/Quinn didn't always see eye-2-eye and the player/coach relationship between Farrance/Albie is very strong.
                      ? Would Oettinger have returned for his Senior year?
                      ? Would Fensore and/or Phillips have even been at BU? Both decommitted from Quinnipiac and committed to BU following the DQ->Albie coaching change. Phillips also would've been likely pushed back a year if Farabee and/or Bowers returned.
                      + BU would've likely been a Top-10 team nationally
                      Also I don't think Curry would have turned into the player he did. Him and Quinn did not see eye to eye either.

                      Comment


                      • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                        Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        I think the following would've potentially happened.

                        Impact on 2018-19 season
                        + Brady Tkachuk would've been more inclined to return for his Sophomore year before moving on to Ottawa
                        + BU would've likely had a similar season to the 2017-18 season, playing its way into the NCAA tourney

                        Impact on 2019-20 season:
                        + Joel Farabee would've returned for his Sophomore year
                        + Shane Bowers would've returned for his Junior year
                        - David Farrance might not have blossomed as much as he did or may have moved on from BU. I've gathered that Farrance/Quinn didn't always see eye-2-eye and the player/coach relationship between Farrance/Albie is very strong.
                        ? Would Oettinger have returned for his Senior year?
                        ? Would Fensore and/or Phillips have even been at BU? Both decommitted from Quinnipiac and committed to BU following the DQ->Albie coaching change. Phillips also would've been likely pushed back a year if Farabee and/or Bowers returned.
                        + BU would've likely been a Top-10 team nationally
                        No inside information, but I've thought that Tkachuk was hellbent for pro hockey.
                        Are you saying that Bowers and Farabee didn't care to play for Albie? Personal opinion or privy to knowledge?
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

                        Comment


                        • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                          Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          No inside information, but I've thought that Tkachuk was hellbent for pro hockey.
                          Are you saying that Bowers and Farabee didn't care to play for Albie? Personal opinion or privy to knowledge?
                          I have no knowledge but from the outside it seemed like those two did not see eye to eye with Albie.
                          \_(ツ)_/

                          Comment


                          • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                            Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                            I think the following would've potentially happened.

                            Impact on 2018-19 season
                            + Brady Tkachuk would've been more inclined to return for his Sophomore year before moving on to Ottawa
                            + BU would've likely had a similar season to the 2017-18 season, playing its way into the NCAA tourney

                            Impact on 2019-20 season:
                            ? Would Oettinger have returned for his Senior year?
                            ? Would Fensore and/or Phillips have even been at BU? Both decommitted from Quinnipiac and committed to BU following the DQ->Albie coaching change. Phillips also would've been likely pushed back a year if Farabee and/or Bowers returned.
                            -Very unlikely Oettinger would've returned. He was just a few credits shy of graduation after his junior year. Dallas wanted to sign him (my cousin is golf buddy of the Stars CEO) after his sophomore season but agreed when he said one more season at BU.
                            -Bowers/Farabee departures didn't impact Fensore or Phillips. Fensore flipped his commitment in July of 2018 and Phillips did so the following October. Stevens and Boguslavsky were added after the season ended. Stevens specifically to address depth concerns at center since Bobo and Bowers departed and Wise was coming off a serious injury.

                            Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                            No inside information, but I've thought that Tkachuk was hellbent for pro hockey.
                            Are you saying that Bowers and Farabee didn't care to play for Albie? Personal opinion or privy to knowledge?
                            Agree on Tkacuk and heard from a good source that Bowers and Albie were not on the same page. Farabee reportedly was planning to return until his red-hot second half led him to revisit that decision. Not sure if he had Albie issues.
                            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

                            Comment


                            • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                              I've slowed down a bit this week, but here are are the most recent games I've uploaded to my Google drive:

                              1997 Mar 01 UNH at BU final game of RS
                              1999 Nov 13 NU at BU
                              1999 Nov 27 CC at BU
                              1999 Dec 04 UMass at BU
                              2000 Jan 08 BU at BC
                              2008 Hockey East Quarterfinal game 1 UML at BU
                              2009 Jan 23 UNH at BU
                              2010 Jan 02 UMass at BU
                              2010 Jan 22 BU at BC
                              2010 Hockey East Quarterfinal game 1 MC at BU

                              Bonus Material
                              BU 1999-00 Promotional Video

                              Also, my Google drive is getting close to being full and I've been looking at other options to see if I can keep all the games in one place. I have found some that offer more space, but no streaming,, so I just wanted to ask if those watching download the games or just stream them? And if you do stream them has anyone besides Scarlet had problems?

                              Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

                              BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

                              Comment


                              • Re: BU Off-Season: Forward to the Past

                                Former BU defenseman and longtime Vermont coach Jim Cross has died from Covid-19 complications. He was a forward on BU's 1960 Frozen Four team. Took UVM from D2 to D1.
                                https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/170224/jim-cross

                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X