RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
    With Alabama-Huntsville's team being dropped by their university, I wonder if there are potential transfer candidates that could end up here? Might be a couple of players on their roster who by skill, potential and possible majors would fit here.
    There top freshman and scorer to Uml

Comment

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      Well, we saw something similar with the ill-fated Red Hawks moniker. Of course, in typical RPI fashion they did it half-assed as the hockey team remained the Engineers. Similarly, they tried to take the Swarm mascot from football and apply it to hockey. I really disliked the Red Hawks and Swarm, but others liked one or both and yet another group really didn't care. I'm a Puckman guy because I associate him with the old hand drawn program covers of the mid-to-late-70s when I became addicted to RPI hockey and eventually enrolled.
      Buzz Buzz Buzz - Just to let you know where i stand! Oh, and the Bee performance at Joe Louis Arena is a bit of a highlight for me from March 1985
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
        With Alabama-Huntsville's team being dropped by their university, I wonder if there are potential transfer candidates that could end up here? Might be a couple of players on their roster who by skill, potential and possible majors would fit here.
        I would surmise the academics in Troy might deter many of the top players from a trip up the hill. When i applied my guidance counselor from high school told my father that even Phys Ed at RPI was a difficult course.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I would surmise the academics in Troy might deter many of the top players from a trip up the hill. When i applied my guidance counselor from high school told my father that even Phys Ed at RPI was a difficult course.
          Just thought any team that plays at an arena named after Werner Von Braun might give rise to hope... 😀

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            I don't think this is true at all. Why are Cornell and Harvard able to bring in top recruits if this is the case? Plus all the athletes end up as Business and Management majors anyways, which is not a particularly challenging curriculum

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
              I don't think this is true at all. Why are Cornell and Harvard able to bring in top recruits if this is the case? Plus all the athletes end up as Business and Management majors anyways, which is not a particularly challenging curriculum
              They have Ivy League name recognition. If you’re a kid in Canada who wants to play hockey, outside of the five or six “hockey factories,” the next tier is the Ivies.

Also, you may think it’s easy, but chances are you’ll be working for a business major someday
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                An athletic department's relationship with the admissions office can differ school-by-school. I agree with you in the sense that this is generally not an issue for RPI, although I am sure you could find examples on the borderlines where a player that can't get in gets in elsewhere.

I have no opinion on which majors are easy or hard, but I like that the team does a good job graduating players. And I have seen a few engineering majors and pre-med guys play big roles for RPI hockey over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                  They have Ivy League name recognition. If you’re a kid in Canada who wants to play hockey, outside of the five or six “hockey factories,” the next tier is the Ivies.
                  I know that would be my calculus, but I am not sure how true this is as a general matter among men's hockey players. Have just met a good number of players over the years who turned down Ivies for schools much further down in the US News rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
                    I assume the LIU athletic director is making a few phone calls to Alabama over the last few days.

Comment

Also, you may think it’s easy, but chances are you’ll be working for a business major someday

I had eight supervisors. Six of them majored in physics, two in math.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-24-2020, 03:59 PM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I think you are responding to a comment other than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                          I think you are responding to a comment other than mine.
                          I fixed it.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            And I bet they had no people skills
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

And I bet they had no people skills
                              Some did but several did not.

Edit: And majoring in business/management doesn't imply that one has people skills or any skills for that matter.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-25-2020, 06:11 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 25 May 2020. There are 131 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X