Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    ...Northeastern has shown themselves to be at least on par if not ahead of their Boston brethren in recent years.
    Northeastern has won the last 3 Beanpots

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
      He whose name is not to be mentioned (hi Ralph!) didn't have much of an impact at Harvard,as I recall.
      (Checked hockey db... 42 points in 119 games.)
      If I recall correctly Huxley was a defenseman who went on to captain Harvard and allowed fewest goals while he was on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
        He whose name is not to be mentioned (hi Ralph!) didn't have much of an impact at Harvard,as I recall.
        (Checked hockey db... 42 points in 119 games.)
        In fairness, he was a defenseman who wasn't prolific offensively at lower levels, either. He wound up being co-captain of a poor Harvard team that only had 1 winning season in his four years.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
          Has anyone who left RPI or decommitted ever made any significant impact, anywhere?
          Drew Melanson had a decent grad transfer year at BU and scored a goal in the NCAA regional final. Unfortunately, his freshman year at RPI was the high-water mark for him in terms of points.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
            In fairness, he was a defenseman who wasn't prolific offensively at lower levels, either. He wound up being co-captain of a poor Harvard team that only had 1 winning season in his four years.
            IIRC he had a great offensive year his last year in Prep Echool before decommiting and going to the USHL for one year.
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-26-2020, 09:00 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 27 April 2020. There are 159 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                FWIW, in the other direction, we got Nick Bailen after a year at BG when they had a change of coach. He made a very significant contribution in Troy.
                Great point! I would say on this alone, and definitely if you include Mike Gornall, we have been on the upper hand of transfers...so why all the hand-wringing amongst the collective fan base?
                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                  I can`t think of any off the top of my head. There have been a few that we almost landed that haunted us Tyler burton of colgate comes to mind.
                  Tyler Burton chose Colgate because at the time, RPI was on the list of D-III athletically prominent schools whose continued D-1 status in hockey was questionable.
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                    Tyler Burton chose Colgate because at the time, RPI was on the list of D-III athletically prominent schools whose continued D-1 status in hockey was questionable.
                    Also the Spink twins, Leon and Michael, decommitted from RPI as well
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      You put the emoji there, but don’t doubt it. When Alpert came aboard, he cut both Reed Kipp and Jordan Cyr. Kipp stayed to complete his degree, while Cyr transferred to Holy Cross. RPI went out to Columbus to play in a tournament against tOSU, Denver, and HC. RPI and HC went to OT on the consolation, and the OT winner was scored by Cyr. Everyone could see it that coming too
                      I thought it was a tournament in Denver, and Cyr had scored an empty netter that turned out to be the game winner because we got one back? Either way, your point stands.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                        Great point! I would say on this alone, and definitely if you include Mike Gornall, we have been on the upper hand of transfers...so why all the hand-wringing amongst the collective fan base?
                        I for one am a pessimist and see mainly the bad parts. Also Bailen was a long time ago. One could go back further and list John Tiano and a year later Bill Kopecky.

Similarly, I see the refs always out to get us, but they did help us in 1985 with the non-call against Servinis and a day earlier giving us the advantage after the skirmish at the end of the second OT.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-27-2020, 12:42 PM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                          Also the Spink twins, Leon and Michael, decommitted from RPI as well
                          You landed a good one-two.

Comment

• Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
                            I thought it was a tournament in Denver, and Cyr had scored an empty netter that turned out to be the game winner because we got one back? Either way, your point stands.
                            You could be right. As was in both Denver and Columbus when they played HC in a consolation game, so I could be confusing road trips
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

I wouldn't have posted this normally, but since we are discussing players who left early, here is a discussion preview about the son of a player who left after his junior season despite leading the team in scoring as a soph and another player who was committed to RPI.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                RPI Hockey is prob not the only program to furlough assistants but the first to make the news. This is a very dangerous time for RPI Hockey bx I could see a scenario where Shirley either starves the program to death (already, woefully underfunded) or nukes it all together in the name of cost cutting in this crazy time. This is not the first time this has happened. The great Garry Kearns saved the program from being extinct in the 60s.
                                I know it's a long way off. And I am not sure how things will go, but unless things change dramatically, I don't see how any sports team can realistically think they will be able to open the doors and let fans in. Masks or not. 6 feet apart or not. We won't know if the virus makes a fall comeback until the fall. And to cross your fingers and hope for the best is not a plan for success. With that being said, I think eventually things will get better. Maybe a year or two, but it will. I would offer the following suggestion: I would gladly pay for our two season tickets to help keep the team afloat. If we can go to games, great. If not, we get to watch the games for free (home and away) on TV or on line. And I won't demand a refund. And after its over the team throws a big party for season ticket holders to celebrate. And RPI hockey survives and SAJ can keep her 5%. And her throne at the end of the rink is donated to a needy family every game. And she stays away from HFH.

Comment

Working...
                                X