RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Today is 20 April 2020. There are 166 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      I keep hearing a lot of skepticism about schools reopening for the Fall Semester. The main problem is the fact that most dorms crowd students 2/3 to a room.
      I shudder to think that there might not be a fall sports season.
      If that were to happen, how many of all college recruits will opt for major junior hockey.
      Any thoughts?
      This is certainly a valid concern. I can tell you that schools here locally (my info is not from RPI) are actively weighing the viability of 3 basic scenarios:
      1. Full enrollment on campus 2. No students on campus 3. A hybrid of limited /small classes, perhaps composed of upperclassmen, with underclassmen studying remotely for '20-21.

Given the pains we all endured with the abrupt end to our season i shudder to write this, but given the risks and public attention I think the only way #1 is possible is if the numbers of COVID cases drops markedly AND if a reliable/accurate test was available for incoming students. There has been a lot of the news in recent days of the unreliability of the assay tests that are now flooding the market. FDA approval is not able to quickly evaluate the quality and accuracy of the reported 90 + different testing products now on the market (according to Dr. Fauci).
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        Was listening to an interview with the new UVM coach, who is currently an assistant with the Winnipeg Jets. He reported that UVM was looking for NHL coaching experience to recreate what UMass had done with Greg Carvel, who himself had 12 years experience as an assistant/scout with NHL teams. Seems to explain both why Barr was a finalist and why he ultimately did not get the job.
        Just to be clear, Carvel had both pro experience AND college experience. He learned under the master Joe Marsh at SLU --4 years as a player, 1 year as AC before taking the HC reigns from Marsh for 4 years.

The search continues for Benny to land his first HC gig. It will happen. My hunch is that is perhaps why he didn't land the RPI gig -- following Appert, they didn't want to risk hiring another young coach with no HC experience. I thought it was interesting that the new UVM coach credited Carvel and Smith as some of his closest hockey coaching friends...the small world that is hockey! That couldn'tve have helped Benny's chances ....
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Who knows if we will play hockey next year, but if we do, we will need yet another flag. To add to US, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, and Slovakia, the women have added a Czech recruit. See the recent posts on the women's thread. https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...visa&p=6941601 She will appear on the recruits list when I post that list again.

Germany will be added in 2022.

i also add that Magdalena Erbenova was born on 2/9/00. i.e., she's 20 already. i don't recall the women ever having a 20-year-old player entering before.

Edit: Forgot that the women may be adding Japan in the fall (dual citizenship).
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-20-2020, 04:32 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Who knows if we will play hockey next year, but if we do, we will need yet another flag. To add to US, Canada, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, and Slovakia, the women have added a Czech recruit. See the recent posts on the women's thread. https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...visa&p=6941601 She will appear on the recruits list when I post that list again.

Germany will be added in 2022.

i also add that Magdalena Erbenova was born on 2/9/00. i.e., she's 20 already. i don't recall the women ever having a 20-year-old player entering before.

Edit: Forgot that the women may be adding Japan in the fall (dual citizenship).

I didn’t think the women allowed Czeching.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
              I didn’t think the women allowed Czeching.

a
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Many/most deposits for fall enrollment are due the first week of May. Administrators will soon have a very real understanding of what will happen in the fall.

Comment

Today is 21 April 2020. There are 165 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                    Many/most deposits for fall enrollment are due the first week of May. Administrators will soon have a very real understanding of what will happen in the fall.
                    Perhaps, but that's only for freshmen. I would expect a fair number to submit deposits and then request deferral for a year. Meanwhile, the upperclassmen will wait and see. If it looks like another on-line semester then there will be a second wave of leave of absence requests.

In some ways that may be good for traditional colleges. It's hard enough to justify the expense of college, but if mainstream students found online to be an acceptable alternative then the long-term enrollment losses would be even greater.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      This is certainly a valid concern. I can tell you that schools here locally (my info is not from RPI) are actively weighing the viability of 3 basic scenarios:
                      1. Full enrollment on campus 2. No students on campus 3. A hybrid of limited /small classes, perhaps composed of upperclassmen, with underclassmen studying remotely for '20-21.

Given the pains we all endured with the abrupt end to our season i shudder to write this, but given the risks and public attention I think the only way #1 is possible is if the numbers of COVID cases drops markedly AND if a reliable/accurate test was available for incoming students. There has been a lot of the news in recent days of the unreliability of the assay tests that are now flooding the market. FDA approval is not able to quickly evaluate the quality and accuracy of the reported 90 + different testing products now on the market (according to Dr. Fauci).
                      Watching the news everyday (what else is there to do) I was pretty sure that we would have what we needed to be back to "normal" bu August. But these protests and some states opening early give me serious doubt that we will be opening anything by August.
                      I hope I am wrong.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Watching the news everyday (what else is there to do) I was pretty sure that we would have what we needed to be back to "normal" bu August. But these protests and some states opening early give me serious doubt that we will be opening anything by August.
                        I hope I am wrong.
                        I agree completely. I heard the Notre Dame A.D. on ESPN this morning and while the primary focus was on football he said paraphrasing.... " there will be no fall sports at all if there are no students on campus." That's a pretty serious statement given that 90% of their revenue is from football.

I guess we can only hope for the best as we head into summer (although the weather here lately feels more like March than April)

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          I agree completely. I heard the Notre Dame A.D. on ESPN this morning and while the primary focus was on football he said paraphrasing.... " there will be no fall sports at all if there are no students on campus." That's a pretty serious statement given that 90% of their revenue is from football.

I guess we can only hope for the best as we head into summer (although the weather here lately feels more like March than April)
                          Yesterday I heard a rumor that the NCAA was going to move football season to the spring semester. Given that my sources are hardly plugged in to anything you can probably take it with a grain of salt, and there would be many obstacles to overcome in order for it to happen, but whisperings are out there. Given football's role in generating $$$ for massive D-I athletic departments you can expect them to do whatever is necessary to salvage a good portion of it.

Comment

I hope I am wrong.
                            I just don't see a return to normalcy for a long time. There was an article yesterday that indicated Disney won't reopen until 2021. If you believe social distancing has/is working, what has changed about this virus to give anyone the idea reopening won't take us back toward square one? The thing we all need to remember is it isn't just the number of people dying that is a problem, but health care workers are not society's whipping boy here. Doctors and nurses and techs did not sign up to put their lives on the line over and over again. And they did not plan on working long shifts and having to live away from their families with no end in sight for a year or two. Not to do that so people could go to the beach or a sporting event.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                              I just don't see a return to normalcy for a long time. There was an article yesterday that indicated Disney won't reopen until 2021. If you believe social distancing has/is working, what has changed about this virus to give anyone the idea reopening won't take us back toward square one? The thing we all need to remember is it isn't just the number of people dying that is a problem, but health care workers are not society's whipping boy here. Doctors and nurses and techs did not sign up to put their lives on the line over and over again. And they did not plan on working long shifts and having to live away from their families with no end in sight for a year or two. Not to do that so people could go to the beach or a sporting event.
                              Well for starters, most are talking about phasing in a "restart" with the understanding that social distancing, mask wearing and good hygiene would need to continue as proven mitigation. This in conjunction with testing as well as furthering advancements in treatments and ultimately a vaccine.

College athletics is obviously waaay far down the list right now. But if we don't at least partially start to reopen this economy, there won't be any jobs for people to go back to.

RPI just announced they are furloughing 300 employees. https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...s-15215610.php

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                                Yesterday I heard a rumor that the NCAA was going to move football season to the spring semester. Given that my sources are hardly plugged in to anything you can probably take it with a grain of salt, and there would be many obstacles to overcome in order for it to happen, but whisperings are out there. Given football's role in generating $$$ for massive D-I athletic departments you can expect them to do whatever is necessary to salvage a good portion of it.
                                The number one question is when students return to campuses in some form (upperclassmen on campus with underclassmen remotely studying ?) Until that question is answered with certainty, the sports planning will be on hold.

Comment

Working...
                                X