Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

    Except that there are 7 players, three goalies and Jerry, Sellar, Linden, and Ferner.
    At most levels of hockey goalies cannot wear the 'C' or 'A'. However, I'm not sure the NCAA has such a limitation. It would also be surprising to have a new guy, Sellar, be a captain, but it makes sense that he'd be in the leadership group since he will be one of the most experienced guys on the team. So, my guess is that a captain and two assistants will come from Ferner, Jerry and Linden.
    Last edited by rpi82; 06-30-2020, 04:15 AM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

      At most levels of hockey goalies cannot wear the 'C' or 'A'. However, I'm not sure the NCAA has such a limitation. It would also be surprising to have a new guy, Sellar, be a captain, but it makes sense that he'd be in the leadership group since he will be one of the most experienced guys on the team. So, my guess is that a captain and two assistants will come from Ferner, Jerry and Linden.
      Goalies can be the captain or AC in college, but I am pretty sure that they cannot be the one who speaks to the ref.
      sigpic

      Let's Go 'Tute!

      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

      2012 Poser Of The Year

      Comment


      • RPI is not participating in fall sports

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

          Goalies can be the captain or AC in college, but I am pretty sure that they cannot be the one who speaks to the ref.
          Hanson was captain of Union for the start of last year and he had a C on his jersey

          Comment


          • Here's the campus plan. No fall sports. Winter and spring TBD.
            https://rpi.app.box.com/v/return-to-campus-plan

            Comment


            • Originally posted by woodenskates View Post

              Hanson was captain of Union for the start of last year and he had a C on his jersey
              And a little closer to home, Selander wore it during her senior year.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                Here's the campus plan. No fall sports. Winter and spring TBD.
                https://rpi.app.box.com/v/return-to-campus-plan
                If we don't play hockey, wouldn't we end up losing our scholarships unless we go full time D-II?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

                  If we don't play hockey, wouldn't we end up losing our scholarships unless we go full time D-II?
                  I assume you are asking about our grandfathered status. Although you can never tell with the NCAA, I fairly confident they'd waive our participation requirement if the decision was due to the pandemic. Due to the limited number of schools competing at D1 I think they have an incentive to encourage schools to continue to play up and it would be a very bad PR move to cut them off during a national crisis. If it was football or basketball (big $$$ sports) where the big boys already think they share their money with too many small participants then I would guess differently. Money trumps PR.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

                    And a little closer to home, Selander wore it during her senior year.
                    Thank you. I thought I'd seen exceptions to the "no 'C' for goalies" tradition in college hockey. Selander not coming to mind tells me my wife is right about my aging memory.

                    However, I still suspect our captain and alternates will come from Jerry, Ferner and Linden. Selander was one of the all-time greats at her position so I consider hers to be a pretty unique situation. Hanson at Union was probably also pretty unique as they had a young team made even younger by surprise off-season losses (injury and departure). Our team is also pretty lean in the senior class among skaters (one returner), but I think we have some real strength in the junior class so a goaltender as a captain would be unlikely.

                    Then again, I didn't anticipate rotating assistants last season so Smith might come up with another surprise. Something tells me that if he does it will be Linden. With absolutely zero inside knowledge I just sense he's highly respected among his teammates. The good news is that it could probably be anyone from "the leadership group" and we will be in good hands.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

                      If we don't play hockey, wouldn't we end up losing our scholarships unless we go full time D-II?
                      RPI is the first ECAC school that you're hearing from. Scholarships are not in jeopardy. RPI is just the first to put it out there that they will not be playing hockey until January.

                      Comment


                      • We are closing in on 1000 replies on this thread. Board did not implement threads closing at that point. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether we should start a new thread anyway? I think we should just keep going until preseason, assuming there is one. Other thoughts?
                        sigpic

                        Let's Go 'Tute!

                        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                        2012 Poser Of The Year

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RPI22Parent View Post

                          RPI is the first ECAC school that you're hearing from. Scholarships are not in jeopardy. RPI is just the first to put it out there that they will not be playing hockey until January.
                          Where did it say that we won't play hockey until January?
                          sigpic

                          Let's Go 'Tute!

                          Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                          2012 Poser Of The Year

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            We are closing in on 1000 replies on this thread. Board did not implement threads closing at that point. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether we should start a new thread anyway? I think we should just keep going until preseason, assuming there is one. Other thoughts?
                            I agree with you Ralph

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

                              Where did it say that we won't play hockey until January?
                              I didn't see where it said that specifically, but I did see a somewhat confusing pair of statements on the third page. The first indicated that only freshmen, seniors, and graduate students would be invited to be on campus for the fall semester 2020. The second indicated that for fall 2020, the junior class would return to campus for in-person instruction and will be asked to take the Arch away semester in spring 2021.

                              Either way, it appears that sophomores would not be allowed on campus for the fall semester, so if the hockey team were to try to play before January, they would have to do so without any of the guys who were freshmen last year.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

                                I didn't see where it said that specifically, but I did see a somewhat confusing pair of statements on the third page. The first indicated that only freshmen, seniors, and graduate students would be invited to be on campus for the fall semester 2020. The second indicated that for fall 2020, the junior class would return to campus for in-person instruction and will be asked to take the Arch away semester in spring 2021.

                                Either way, it appears that sophomores would not be allowed on campus for the fall semester, so if the hockey team were to try to play before January, they would have to do so without any of the guys who were freshmen last year.
                                Athletes get exceptions to that

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X