X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2020 Off-season: Off-season Cancelled

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    https://twitter.com/burgess_todd/sta...966491650?s=21

Thanks for the input, all. Looks like it is now official.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      I keep hearing a lot of skepticism about schools reopening for the Fall Semester. The main problem is the fact that most dorms crowd students 2/3 to a room.
      I shudder to think that there might not be a fall sports season.
      If that were to happen, how many of all college recruits will opt for major junior hockey.
      Any thoughts?
      Unless something dramatic changes with this virus, I don't see how you can pack a bunch of students in a dorm. Remember RPI had a flu death this year. Granted it was a result of EMS not being able to find the student. A death just the same. Look what happens in nursing homes and the Smithfield place in South Dakota. And then convince students and their parents they will be safe in a dorm. How can anyone run anything: a business, a university, a restaurant, a factory, whatever if the people involved in those enterprises get ill, have to be isolated and everyone they contact quarantined for 2 weeks. That will likely not be a problem come next Spring Summer. So the question is do you open the campus for some, like athletes, not others, and do the athletes fare better going to Juniors instead? Maybe for one year, to some degree-its not like Covid disappears by going somewhere else- so I think the players will see themselves all in the same boat no matter where they go.

Comment

I keep hearing a lot of skepticism about schools reopening for the Fall Semester. The main problem is the fact that most dorms crowd students 2/3 to a room.
        If that were to happen, how many of all college recruits will opt for major junior hockey.
        Any thoughts?
        I think it depends on how many kids will age out of the college-eligible junior leagues and whether major junior has higher age eligibility (I don't follow those technical points closely). Also depends on the USA's progress versus Canada's in terms of controlling the virus.

My larger concern with delayed college openings is that you will undoubtedly see some deep and broad budget cuts at many (most?) schools from the drops in enrollment (guessing parents will have kids will take a gap year/sabbatical rather than pay $$ for remote learning). If that happens, more than the season will be at stake for some sports programs (generally speaking across the nation, not referring to RPI). I hate even thinking about it.

Comment

Sorry if this was already posted, but the Times Union caught up with Owen Savory and Dave Smith yesterday: https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...n-15200369.php

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
            I think it depends on how many kids will age out of the college-eligible junior leagues and whether major junior has higher age eligibility (I don't follow those technical points closely). Also depends on the USA's progress versus Canada's in terms of controlling the virus.

My larger concern with delayed college openings is that you will undoubtedly see some deep and broad budget cuts at many (most?) schools from the drops in enrollment (guessing parents will have kids will take a gap year/sabbatical rather than pay $$ for remote learning). If that happens, more than the season will be at stake for some sports programs (generally speaking across the nation, not referring to RPI). I hate even thinking about it.
            Some junior teams will also likely fold.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              Some junior teams will also likely fold.
              So may some college teams, which was the point of the post
              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                So may some college teams, which was the point of the post
                I realized that was the point which is why i wrote "also".
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Any thoughts?
                  From a personal standpoint, I graduated in 1970. The second weekend in October is when my class is scheduled to have our 50-year reunion.

If the Tute hesitates about bringing young, healthy college students back to campus, are they going to want to host a congregation of us geezers in our seventies?

Comment

Today is 18 April 2020. There are 168 days (24 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                      From a personal standpoint, I graduated in 1970. The second weekend in October is when my class is scheduled to have our 50-year reunion.

If the Tute hesitates about bringing young, healthy college students back to campus, are they going to want to host a congregation of us geezers in our seventies?
                      If you give them money, it will be ok.
                      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        If you give them money, it will be ok.
                        In other words, if you pay it, you can come.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I would expect a cancellation if there are any significant restrictions to the operation of the school in the fall. Most other schools have already canceled reunions that were scheduled for late spring/early summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            I realized that was the point which is why i wrote "also".
                            I appreciated the addition. Sometimes I forget that these junior teams are businesses that have their own payroll, overhead, etc. Let's hope that we don't have to experience these issues in the fall.

Comment

Today is 19 April 2020. There are 167 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2020 for the start of next season.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-19-2020, 11:57 PM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

probably belongs in the alumni thread
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X