Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantic Hockey Says No; So Long Chargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Could it be that the "other school" might be Navy? That would give Atlantic Hockey all three Service academies and group of smaller but generally like-minded and financially sound universities. But Navy is turning out to be the Illinois of the east: Lots of scuttlebutt but still in drydock.

OTOH, there's a rumor circulating in the twitterverse, attributed to Buccigross, that Robert Morris might be reconsidering it's decision to drop hockey. So if Navy stays high and dry and RMU really is having second thoughts, does it get to play prodigal son and beg forgiveness?
    Who knows about Navy?

As far as RMU hockey being reinstated- would that be for this year? Sounds like the Atlantic Hockey teams have already filled out their schedules- so even if RMU comes back, would it be this year or next? Won't they have to start over?

Let's say they do plan to restart for 2022-23. What if Atlantic Hockey finds out that a 10 team conference isn't so bad and even better than 11 or 12? Do they take back RMU?

Comment

Just wondering about the rules for leaving conferences. If you drop the sport are you still financially required to pay for leaving? If not, if you reinstate the program are you required to rejoin the same conference and if not do financial penalties reapply if they were not imposed? Could this be a possible path for RMU to join the new CCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post
        Let's say they do plan to restart for 2022-23. What if Atlantic Hockey finds out that a 10 team conference isn't so bad and even better than 11 or 12? Do they take back RMU?
        I imagine the western AHA schools would want RMU back. I'd want them back at the very least for their broadcast team. But now that we have EIGHT(!!!) out-of-conference games, I'm seeing some sweet silver linings in this new AHA. AIC has home-and-homes with UMass, Providence, UConn, & Quinnipiac this year. Not too shabby.

Here's hoping we see you back on the ice, Bobby Mo. But take your time. No rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

But Navy is turning out to be the Illinois of the east: Lots of scuttlebutt but still in drydock.
          I see what you did there. {golf clap} :-)

As to the post about what AHA would do if RMU suddenly returns to play, that may become a legal issue in how the bylaws are written, what constitutes notification for leaving a conference, and what constitutes legal return to the conference. Then, you have the issue that not only is the conference schedule set, but teams have picked up the necessary extra nonconference games to fill the gap. They can't exactly break those agreements they just "signed"...
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            They can't exactly break those agreements they just "signed"...
            Well, Alaska did with BU after BU had announced that they were hosting the Nanooks for a 2 game series. And staying with BU, back in the summer of 2014 Army backed out of a game with BU, which Coach Quin was unable to replace with another DI team so he ended up scheduling the U.S. World Junior team. Then in 2017 BU lost 2 games when PSU backed out of a contract when the B1G added Notre Dame and the B1G teams all had 4 less non-conference games. That time Coach Quinn was able to replace the games on short notice with Minnesota State. So it does happen, the only question is are there any penalties that can and will be enforced.

Sean

Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              Just wondering about the rules for leaving conferences. If you drop the sport are you still financially required to pay for leaving? If not, if you reinstate the program are you required to rejoin the same conference and if not do financial penalties reapply if they were not imposed? Could this be a possible path for RMU to join the new CCHA?
              The CCHA members were not happy with the financial state of the Alaska schools and UAH. Why would they want that same issue with BobMO?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post

The CCHA members were not happy with the financial state of the Alaska schools and UAH. Why would they want that same issue with BobMO?
                Excellent point. Lake State just announced spending 175k to upgrade their video production for the upcoming season. RMU is racing against time just to answer the bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post

That's assuming it was not a ploy by RMU. RMU is much closer to the league footprint. Close enough to be a travel partner for BGSU which if Augustana moves up and becomes Mankato's travel partner, the league could have a very balanced set of travel partners. Pittsburgh is a hub and would be a very easy flight from MSP too and all the other teams could get there connecting one stop through MSP, DTW or Midway. Big difference from Alaska or Alabama.

Comment

That's assuming it was not a ploy by RMU. RMU is much closer to the league footprint. Close enough to be a travel partner for BGSU which if Augustana moves up and becomes Mankato's travel partner, the league could have a very balanced set of travel partners. Pittsburgh is a hub and would be a very easy flight from MSP too and all the other teams could get there connecting one stop through MSP, DTW or Midway. Big difference from Alaska or Alabama.
                    No conference has any obligation to save a school's program. Other than geography, what value does RMU or Augustana add to the CCHA (or any other conference)?

Comment

So now the primary focus of a college hockey conference is to have balanced travel partners.

We created a new league specifically to ride busses and contain costs and you're now touting the wonderful benefits of MSP-PIT. Using your logic HE should be adding RMU and LIU because, well, hey...BOS-PIT is super easy and you don't have to connect through EWR.

Lindenwood and Augustana bring nothing to the CCHA table other than convenient conversation topics for fans of teams who aren't in the CCHA. Any logic used to justify adding these teams to the CCHA is also applicable to the NCHC and I don't hear the clarion sounding for that to happen. The landscape has changed; leagues are much more self-centered as program survival is much less guaranteed. No more Mr. Nice Guy; get your own league.

Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 07-16-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

So now the primary focus of a college hockey conference is to have balanced travel partners.

We created a new league specifically to ride busses and contain costs and you're now touting the wonderful benefits of MSP-PIT. Using your logic HE should be adding RMU and LIU because, well, hey...BOS-PIT is super easy and you don't have to connect through EWR.

Lindenwood and Augustana bring nothing to the CCHA table other than convenient conversation topics for fans of teams who aren't in the CCHA. Any logic used to justify adding these teams to the CCHA is also applicable to the NCHC and I don't hear the clarion sounding for that to happen. The landscape has changed; leagues are much more self-centered as program survival is much less guaranteed. No more Mr. Nice Guy; get your own league.
                        And out west here, we don't use travel partners. We get to a site and play two games. Makes it kind of nice as a fan that travels sometimes to get to a town, settle into the hotel, see two games and hit a few spots in the town.

I keep thinking back to when Bemidji State played in their first NCAA Regional in Amherst, MA. We were at a bar after BSU's OT loss to Denver and were kicking around the idea of running to Worcester the next evening to watch North Dakota play. People at the bar were asking if we had a hotel room yet and we were like, nope, we are going to drive over and drive back. They thought we were nuts to do that.
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

I keep thinking back to when Bemidji State played in their first NCAA Regional in Amherst, MA. We were at a bar after BSU's OT loss to Denver and were kicking around the idea of running to Worcester the next evening to watch North Dakota play. People at the bar were asking if we had a hotel room yet and we were like, nope, we are going to drive over and drive back. They thought we were nuts to do that.
                          I really wish we would have done that
                          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                          ECAC:
                          HEA: UMass
                          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

A flight to Huntsville is really no worse than a bus trip from St Thomas to Tech or NMU to Ferris
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

How about every conference take in one of these non-ASU independents "for the good of the game," eh? Why is everyone laughing?

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post

I really wish we would have done that
                                If I had been in that bar I would have been giving you directions and pointers on where to go out. It was only an hour away. Next time....
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X