Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantic Hockey Says No; So Long Chargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I wouldn't write UAH off yet as they seem to finally have some people willing to take the lead and drive the program's financial future. But as others have posted they keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over. Folding, returning, folding, returning and now folding before Atlantic even made their decision? Maybe that makes sense for the players, but it was a horrible look for the future of the program.
    While the donors are in place, the school has insisted on getting into a conference. Which isnt happening

I
    Not having an active team makes AH's decision much easier to turn UAH away right now. This isn't over because UAH, UAF, UAA?, LIU, Lindenwood, South Dakota, ASU are all still looking for conference homes. RMU closing up shop on short notice was already one shock to AH this season, maybe they just like having that open spot to see who impresses them the most over the next couple seasons? There are still too many loose pieces floating around in D-I hockey at this point. The shuffling will continue for several years to come.
    There is no "RMU spot." They were looking to expand to get back to an even number. Now that have 10, why go back to 11? Much more likely they go to 12.
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
      The (old) WCHA would have been just fine:
      UAA, BSU, CC, DU. MtU, UMD, MSU, UNO, UND & SCSU

The (old) CCHA also would have also been okay:
      UAF, BG, Ferris, LSSU, Notre Dame, NMU & WMU (and probably could have absorbed UAH)

But no. The NCHC got ***** envy. The B1G wasn't really the first domino. Notre Dame thought they needed to go east. That's what ruined it all
      <golf clap> You forgot to include Miami State in the oCCHA which speaks volumes as to their relevance in college hockey these days relative to their role in torpedoing that conference </golf clap>

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

<golf clap> You forgot to include Miami State in the oCCHA which speaks volumes as to their relevance in college hockey these days relative to their role in torpedoing that conference </golf clap>
        Doh!

AHA:
        ECAC:

Comment

You are proving my point
          How? By showing the B1G could've changed an internal B1G bylaw for the betterment of greater college hockey but instead they went B1G first over everyone else? PSU followed by the B1G's action (inaction?) started the whole chain of events.

The NCHC was a reaction B1G Hockey being formed. The B1G could've prevented it.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

How? By showing the B1G could've changed an internal B1G bylaw for the betterment of greater college hockey but instead they went B1G first over everyone else? PSU followed by the B1G's action (inaction?) started the whole chain of events.

The NCHC was a reaction B1G Hockey being formed. The B1G could've prevented it.
            The B1G has ZERO history of allowing their members to play in separate conferences when they have enough to form their own. Your suggestion the B1G should have or even could have acted altruisticly is absurd. Yes, the NCHC was reactionary. But acting like the B1G had some choice is laughable.

AHA:
            ECAC:

Comment

Your suggestion the B1G should have or even could have acted altruisticly is absurd.
              But not impossible.

The B1G Network won the day. College hockey lost.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

But not impossible.

The B1G Network won the day. College hockey lost.
                Honestly, it's more surprising that the B1G allowed the status quo to last as long as they did rather than force the 5 schools to find an affiliate member like men's lacrosse did with Johns Hopkins

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

But not impossible.
                  Also, yes, likely impossible when Barry Alvarez was willing to pull out of the WCHA in protest of the BSU/UNO decision

AHA:
                  ECAC:

Comment

This isn't over because UAH, UAF, UAA?, LIU, Lindenwood, South Dakota, ASU are all still looking for conference homes. RMU closing up shop on short notice was already one shock to AH this season, maybe they just like having that open spot to see who impresses them the most over the next couple seasons? There are still too many loose pieces floating around in D-I hockey at this point. The shuffling will continue for several years to come.

And yes, this is all the fault of the Knee-jerk Nachos who crumbled and trembled at the loss of WI and MN as if they were the cornerstones of hockey that Division I was built on...
                    Atlantic Hockey is not expanding to Alaska. ASU is not going to Atlantic Hockey. Augustana has already been turned down by the Summit League and their D1 ambitions are in a holding pattern. Lindenwood hasn't made an official announcement. That leaves LIU as the most obvious expansion team- and my guess is not without another school to make an even dozen.

We can all **** on the NCHC, but there's no doubt they're the best hockey conference in the country.

Comment

Let’s forget that it was the small WCHA schools voting to extend that absolute dip**** McLeod as commissioner that solidified and accelerated the idea of leaving.

The “let’s **** on the NCHC” circle jerk from fans of CCHA schools that ALWAYS pops up in threads like these are comical. It’s inevitable. Just like I think realignment was.

What makes this even funnier though is, don’t see the CCHA folks pointing out their own schools’ culpability.
                      Last edited by SiouxFanatic; 07-13-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

All three conferences committed sins to lead to this, but not one of them did something that wasn’t in their best interest.

It’s absurd to think that the B1G should not have its own conference when it is CLEARLY and SIGNIFICANTLY more operationally efficient to do so.

I can understand the argument that the NCHC is the least necessary of the three conferences in the choices they made, but it’s a decision that certainly seems 20/20 in hindsight for how well they’ve done since realignment.

And the CCHA… how quickly do we forget how much of a struggle some of these programs were having (up to and including risk of folding) even in the pre-alignment “glory days”… I recall BGSU explicitly, but also am fairly sure that FSU and LSSU weren’t necessarily on the strongest footing.

As much as I hate where this has put UAA, UAF, and UAH, they’re just in a terrible position and it’s not the fault of the other schools that they are so isolated (and in the case of the Alaska schools, screwed over by terrible state government and unsustainable economic conditions).

I’m far more bothered that the western schools at large have not stepped up in terms of offering more/better non-conference arrangements than I am for them aligning themselves the way that they did.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

look...

for as much as i don't like the NACHO [and let's ignore the B1G], the biggest hang up i have is the fact that WMU and miami are part of it... what kind of regional rivalry is that?

and for as much taking a trip to OH or k'zoo is not desired for MTU, trading BSU and MNSU for WMU and miami would help the make-sense geographical rivalries.

but in the end... really, personal pipe dream... take BGSU, give me UMD. want to go further? take FSU, give me SCSU.

the re-arranging is not done... money is only going to get tighter.

gossip is that RMU teams are being re-instated.
                          Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 07-14-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

But acting like the B1G had some choice is laughable.
                            The original B1G rule was that half the member schools had to sponsor a sport for it to form a conference league, not 6. Six was the number that was used once Penn State joined the conference since it then required more than 5.

The B1G is completely culpable for the hockey domino effect, because THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT.

If they waited 6 months for the announcement, Maryland and Rutgers joined the conference and pushed the effective number to 7 needed to form the league. And if you think they didn't know those additions were coming, you're in la-la land. They ramrodded it through with full knowledge that they would not be following the conference rule if they waited. This was explained to me by Ron Mason himself.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Atlantic Hockey is not expanding to Alaska...That leaves LIU as the most obvious expansion team- and my guess is not without another school to make an even dozen...
                              Could it be that the "other school" might be Navy? That would give Atlantic Hockey all three Service academies and group of smaller but generally like-minded and financially sound universities. But Navy is turning out to be the Illinois of the east: Lots of scuttlebutt but still in drydock.

OTOH, there's a rumor circulating in the twitterverse, attributed to Buccigross, that Robert Morris might be reconsidering it's decision to drop hockey. So if Navy stays high and dry and RMU really is having second thoughts, does it get to play prodigal son and beg forgiveness?
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

The original B1G rule was that half the member schools had to sponsor a sport for it to form a conference league, not 6. Six was the number that was used once Penn State joined the conference since it then required more than 5.

The B1G is completely culpable for the hockey domino effect, because THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT.

If they waited 6 months for the announcement, Maryland and Rutgers joined the conference and pushed the effective number to 7 needed to form the league. And if you think they didn't know those additions were coming, you're in la-la land. They ramrodded it through with full knowledge that they would not be following the conference rule if they waited. This was explained to me by Ron Mason himself.
                                Wow. Just ... wow.

B1G gonna B1G.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X