Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantic Hockey Says No; So Long Chargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Hockey Says No; So Long Chargers?

So Atlantic Hockey has decided against expansion. UAH Hockey appears to be done. I hope not, but without a conference what's the point. I have been a fan of the Chargers since 1981 and its club hockey years. This is heart breaking.

I agree. I don't get how AH couldn't take you to replace RMU but regardless it's lousy. I blame BGSU.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Sorry, but UAH was, most likely, the 3rd best option of the 3 schools that applied. Two months ago, I would have laid money on LIU being the only one accepted, making the conference 12 schools. Once RMU dropped, they had to accept two or none. LIU + mystery school (Navy) was the best solution, but I'm guessing Navy isn't as close as the perception is (despite the rumors they applied). That made none a WAY better option than LIU + UAH. Honestly, ask yourself if you think it makes sense to accept a school to your conference that has dropped hockey THREE TIMES and has to rely on GoFundMe to support a single season. Again sorry, but if I'm running AHA, I want a school that is going to be around for more than 5 minutes.
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass
      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

This isn't AHA's fault. As a college hockey community, those of us who are fans of bigger schools in more well-funded conferences can't be upset at smaller schools in smaller conferences if they don't want to bear the burden of UAH or UAA or whatever small, out of vogue team needs a home.

If it is so important to have UAH hockey exist, I don't see the Big Ten or NCHC or Hockey East stepping in to save the day. It would be much easier for those schools to absorb the costs of traveling to Huntsville, it would be easier for schools in multi-bid conferences to absorb the RPI hit of playing UAH, it would be a bigger boon to UAH to have home games against North Dakota, Michigan, or Boston College than it would be Canisius or Sacred Heart or AIC. But UAH hockey in the Big Ten/NCHC/HEA is a laughable concept, so everyone gets to blame AHA.

Every argument I've heard for why the CCHA or AHA should bear the brunt of having UAA, Alaska, UAH, etc. in their conference consists of "here's why this wouldn't sting for you that much." At some point, you need to add value on your own merits.

Comment

Originally posted by wsp67326 View Post
          So Atlantic Hockey has decided against expansion. UAH Hockey appears to be done. I hope not, but without a conference what's the point. I have been a fan of the Chargers since 1981 and its club hockey years. This is heart breaking.
          do you have a source/article? ...just want to check it out myself. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            This isn't AHA's fault. As a college hockey community, those of us who are fans of bigger schools in more well-funded conferences can't be upset at smaller schools in smaller conferences if they don't want to bear the burden of UAH or UAA or whatever small, out of vogue team needs a home.

If it is so important to have UAH hockey exist, I don't see the Big Ten or NCHC or Hockey East stepping in to save the day. It would be much easier for those schools to absorb the costs of traveling to Huntsville, it would be easier for schools in multi-bid conferences to absorb the RPI hit of playing UAH, it would be a bigger boon to UAH to have home games against North Dakota, Michigan, or Boston College than it would be Canisius or Sacred Heart or AIC. But UAH hockey in the Big Ten/NCHC/HEA is a laughable concept, so everyone gets to blame AHA.

Every argument I've heard for why the CCHA or AHA should bear the brunt of having UAA, Alaska, UAH, etc. in their conference consists of "here's why this wouldn't sting for you that much." At some point, you need to add value on your own merits.
            the creation of the B1G and the NACHO was one of greedy egoistic vanity.

the leftover stew of the old WCHA and the old CCHA was one of no-choice reactionary survival.

the resurrection of the CCHA was one of we-thought-about-this-some survival.

and while it sucks, based on the current where/when/what/who;

the demise of RMU/UAA/UAH may be one of necessity at this point...

but it doesn't have to be this way. at all.

especially with the likes of LIU, LU, and AU being official about their intent for the future...
            Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 07-13-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

do you have a source/article? ...just want to check it out myself. thanks.
              Only source I've been able to find is the UAH Hockey site (independent from the university).

https://uahhockey.com/blog/2021/07/1...-on-expansion/

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

the creation of the B1G and the NACHO was one of greedy egoistic vanity.
                Sigh, can we please not with the B1G blame? How many times must it be noted that the bylaws required formation of a hockey conference once PSU added the sport? Now, go ahead with the NCHC blame. I'm here for that.

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                  How many times must it be noted that the bylaws required formation of a hockey conference once PSU added the sport?
                  The B1G could've amended their bylaws. They didn't. <-- first domino
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Sigh, can we please not with the B1G blame? How many times must it be noted that the bylaws required formation of a hockey conference once PSU added the sport? Now, go ahead with the NCHC blame. I'm here for that.
                    hahahahaha... gotta love hating the NACHO!

yeah... but [B1G] bylaws that woulda have been changed or massaged if it was to their advantage.

ain't stuck in the past; this new-CCHA thingie got me quite excited... GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

The B1G could've amended their bylaws. They didn't. <-- first domino
                      Riiiggghhht. Because that makes so much sense

AHA:
                      ECAC:

Comment

I wouldn't write UAH off yet as they seem to finally have some people willing to take the lead and drive the program's financial future. But as others have posted they keep shooting themselves in the foot over and over. Folding, returning, folding, returning and now folding before Atlantic even made their decision? Maybe that makes sense for the players, but it was a horrible look for the future of the program.

Not having an active team makes AH's decision much easier to turn UAH away right now. This isn't over because UAH, UAF, UAA?, LIU, Lindenwood, South Dakota, ASU are all still looking for conference homes. RMU closing up shop on short notice was already one shock to AH this season, maybe they just like having that open spot to see who impresses them the most over the next couple seasons? There are still too many loose pieces floating around in D-I hockey at this point. The shuffling will continue for several years to come.

And yes, this is all the fault of the Knee-jerk Nachos who crumbled and trembled at the loss of WI and MN as if they were the cornerstones of hockey that Division I was built on...
                        Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-13-2021, 02:12 PM.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Riiiggghhht. Because that makes so much sense
                          The B1G could've amended the "six means B1G play" rule then UMn and UW could've stayed WCHA; UMi, MiSU, OSU stay CCHA; and PSU could've done PSU things.

The B1G didn't do that because they wanted B1G Hockey on B1G Network with no TV revenue sharing.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

The (old) WCHA would have been just fine:
                            UAA, BSU, CC, DU. MtU, UMD, MSU, UNO, UND & SCSU

The (old) CCHA also would have also been okay:
                            UAF, BG, Ferris, LSSU, Notre Dame, NMU & WMU (and probably could have absorbed UAH)

But no. The NCHC got ***** envy. The B1G wasn't really the first domino. Notre Dame thought they needed to go east. That's what ruined it all

AHA:
                            ECAC:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

The B1G could've amended the "six means B1G play" rule then UMn and UW could've stayed WCHA; UMi, MiSU, OSU stay CCHA; and PSU could've done PSU things.

The B1G didn't do that because they wanted B1G Hockey on B1G Network with no TV revenue sharing.
                              You are proving my point

AHA:
                              ECAC:

Comment

Working...
                              X