No announcement yet.

LSSU Lakers 2020 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From this morning 's Laker Hockey Talk Show, UAH forward Jack Jeffers will be transferring to the Lakers this upcoming season. He will be eligible to play immediately since he transferred while the Chargers were temporarily folded. He had 6 goals and 6 assists for UAH in 2019-20.
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      From this morning 's Laker Hockey Talk Show, UAH forward Jack Jeffers will be transferring to the Lakers this upcoming season. He will be eligible to play immediately since he transferred while the Chargers were temporarily folded. He had 6 goals and 6 assists for UAH in 2019-20.
      Played his junior hockey in the Toronto area league (OJHL). Supposed to be a pretty good skater.

Comment

• Three months from today Lakers open up the season in Fairbanks, Alaska playing the Nanooks. That's assuming the season doesn't get postponed or canceled. We will probably have a better idea on what happens sometime next month.

Comment

• Happy Fourth of July my fellow Laker fans. Have a nice and safe holiday weekend!

Comment

Three months from today Lakers open up the season in Fairbanks, Alaska playing the Nanooks. That's assuming the season doesn't get postponed or canceled. We will probably have a better idea on what happens sometime next month.
            Yeah, hopefully we'll have a season, and a full one at that. Covid numbers are up a bit but I guess that's to be expected with all the demonstrations/riots over the past several weeks plus the increased testing that has been going on.

Happy Fourth of July!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post

Yeah, hopefully we'll have a season, and a full one at that. Covid numbers are up a bit but I guess that's to be expected with all the demonstrations/riots over the past several weeks plus the increased testing that has been going on.

Happy Fourth of July!
              I'd be blaming the people who refuse to wear masks above anything else other than increased testing.

But as a season ticket holder, we received an email stating that more information about our seats/tickets and the schedule will be released in the next week, so I'm guessing the season is a-go, at least to start.
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post

I'd be blaming the people who refuse to wear masks above anything else other than increased testing.

But as a season ticket holder, we received an email stating that more information about our seats/tickets and the schedule will be released in the next week, so I'm guessing the season is a-go, at least to start.

If the NCAA allows the season to happen, there's still the possibility of Whitmer not allowing any fans in. Someone was saying if that happens the Lakers should play at the Big Bear Arena to get fans in and get much needed revenue. The arena is on tribal sovereign land in which the Governor can't do anything about.

Comment

If the NCAA allows the season to happen, there's still the possibility of Whitmer not allowing any fans in. Someone was saying if that happens the Lakers should play at the Big Bear Arena to get fans in and get much needed revenue. The arena is on tribal sovereign land in which the Governor can't do anything about.
                  I doubt they'll be looking into the Big Bear for now since 1) A Covid case has been backtracked to the Fitness Center inside Big Bear (though with cleaning that's a non issue, or should be), and 2)There's not a ton of seating. I'm not sure how much they'd be able to make (assuming the tribe charges them to use the space). And if you gave season ticket holders first crack at them, how many non-season ticket fans will be able to get seats?

And I don't think the NHL side has any actual seating, so they'd be playing on the Olympic sheet. They'd have to get the players down to the rez to get the most out of practice since the ice sizes are so different.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I actually kind of like the idea & uses a resource that's somewhat unique up here. What I'd like to see is have them halve the seating in each arena, only sell every other seat staggered out (so like, Row A would be seats 1, 3, 5, etc, Row B would be 2, 4, 6). It could be feasible with our fanbase since we hardly come close to selling out, but would certainly cause some issues elsewhere.
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• The Lakers are building up their ACHA level men's and women's teams. Quite a bit of activity on social media about recruits for those 2 teams.

Comment

• Not a good sign that the ivy leagues cancelled football today. I think it is only a matter of time before hockey is scratched for this fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                        Not a good sign that the ivy leagues cancelled football today. I think it is only a matter of time before hockey is scratched for this fall.
                        Not just football, but all sports are on hold until Jan 1st, so this means hockey for those schools too.

Now, as for other schools, I'm sure we'll see at least a few others follow suit, though I think the WCHA will try to hold out, since a number of our schools need sport money. Lake State is supposed to send something concerning the schedule and season tickets to us this week, but I still haven't heard anything, so maybe that's a sign? Guess time will tell.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

• The Laker Hockey Talk show is supposed to be on at 8:00 tomorrow morning and last for close to an hour. Podcast should follow at some point. I'll probably have to wait for the podcast depending upon the weather.

Also, captains for this coming season will be Kaelble, Riedell, Eriksson and Calder.

https://lssulakers.com/sports/m-hock...20200714vtedy2
                          Last edited by Bill; 07-15-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Minnesota State will still be without a NCAA tournament game win.
                            This really made me laugh.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Former Lakers goalie Roman Bengert will be playing at the University of Prince Edward Island this season.

Comment

• Brayden Gelsinger has signed with the Utah Grizzlies of the ECHL.

Comment

Working...
                                X