Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

    NMU only losing (3) Seniors this year with Craighead, Voltin & Beaulieu

  • #2
    Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

    2020-21 NMU Hockey Recruits

    C - Reilly Funk (6'3" 190lbs) - Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)
    C - Parker Lindauer (5'10" 150lbs) - Janesville Jets (NAHL)
    C - Colton Kalezic (6'1" 180lbs) - Penticton Vees (BCHL)
    D - Noah Ganske (6'5" 190lbs) - Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)
    D - James Miller (6'2" 190lbs) - Penticton Vees (BCHL)
    G - Ryan Ullan (6'1" 190lbs) - Bismark Bobcats (NAHL)
    F - Cammack Byers (6'0" 175lbs) - Aberdeen Wings (NAHL)
    F - Connor Merritt (6'2" 200lbs) - Vernon Vipers (BCHL)
    F - Josh Arnold (5'9" 180lbs) - Wanatchee Wild (BCHL)
    F - Ian Malcomson (5'8" 170lbs) - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
    F - Grant Johnson (5'9" 170lbs) - Bismark Bobcats (NAHL)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

      2019-20 NMU Hockey Leading Scorers Returning In 2020-21

      So. F Griffin Loughran (23 Goals & 16 Assists) - 39 pts

      So. F Vincent De May (15 Goals & 13 Assists) - 28 pts

      Jr. F Joseph Nardi (8 Goals & 19 Assists) - 27 pts

      Fr. F Andre Ghantous (11 Goals & 11 Assists) - 22 pts

      So. F Ty Readman (4 Goals & 15 Assists) - 19 pts

      Jr. D Ben Newhouse (3 Goals & 12 Assists) - 15 pts

      So. F Grant Loven (3 Goals & 11 Assists) - 14 pts

      Fr. D Hank Sorensen (4 Goals & 9 Assists) - 13 pts

      Jr. F Brandon Schultz (1 Goal & 10 Assists) - 11 pts
      Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 03-15-2020, 08:50 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

        Don't forget about G Connor Ryckman who transferred from UW Stevens Point. Goaltender will be an interesting spot to keep an eye on with 3 returning players & potentially 2 incoming. Anyone have insight on if either of the John's are transferring?
        Last edited by moose97; 03-09-2020, 08:59 AM.
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

        AHA:
        B1G: UMinn, UWisc
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
        NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

        Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

          2019-20 NMU Hockey Goalies Returning In 2020-21

          So. G Nolan Kent (13-11-1)
          Fr. G John Hawthorne (5-5-3)
          Fr. G John Roberts (0-0-0)
          So. G Connor Ryckman (0-0-0)
          Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 03-09-2020, 12:16 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by moose97 View Post
            Don't forget about G Connor Ryckman who transferred from UW Stevens Point. Goaltender will be an interesting spot to keep an eye on with 3 returning players & potentially 2 incoming. Anyone have insight on if either of the John's are transferring?
            Haven’t heard anything.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

              Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Haven’t heard anything.
              I'd be surprised if they carry 4, let alone 5 goalies...
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

              AHA:
              B1G: UMinn, UWisc
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
              NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

              Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                The Fire Lighting NMU’s Hockey Program

                Coach Grant Potulny is on a mission

                March 12th, 2020

                https://www.thenorthwindonline.com/t...ockey-program/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                  Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
                  The Fire Lighting NMU’s Hockey Program

                  Coach Grant Potulny is on a mission

                  March 12th, 2020

                  https://www.thenorthwindonline.com/t...ockey-program/
                  I am not going to claim to be some hockey expert, but I just want to pose an observation of mine from the past season.
                  Our philosophy seems to be, particularly during the penalty kill, to stay in the box, don’t pressure the puck, stay in position. This resulted in drives from the point, yes, low percentage shots, but strong goaltending is the key with that strategy. I get it, but when teams played us, they were all over us, never letting us feel comfortable, and subsequently, we turned the puck over a lot. I have no turnover stats to support this, just an observation.
                  Is this a lack of confidence in our skill players, or did we not change our system after we lost the goalie of the year last year? Staying in the box, I feel, puts pressure on the goaltender, and our goaltending wasn’t strong enough to back up that philosophy.
                  I Love Grant, he is our coach, but from the article, the rock to turn over and get a look at is goaltending and our defensive philosophy. I know these are kids, but somebody has to step up. Kent showed promise at times, but needs to be more consistent. Hawthorne, the only times I saw him, came in during bad situations, but clearly he has work to do. If our goaltending doesn’t get any better, then we need to adjust our defense to protect our goalies.
                  “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                  – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                  when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                    Originally posted by devildog View Post
                    I am not going to claim to be some hockey expert, but I just want to pose an observation of mine from the past season.
                    Our philosophy seems to be, particularly during the penalty kill, to stay in the box, don’t pressure the puck, stay in position. This resulted in drives from the point, yes, low percentage shots, but strong goaltending is the key with that strategy. I get it, but when teams played us, they were all over us, never letting us feel comfortable, and subsequently, we turned the puck over a lot. I have no turnover stats to support this, just an observation.
                    Is this a lack of confidence in our skill players, or did we not change our system after we lost the goalie of the year last year? Staying in the box, I feel, puts pressure on the goaltender, and our goaltending wasn’t strong enough to back up that philosophy.
                    I Love Grant, he is our coach, but from the article, the rock to turn over and get a look at is goaltending and our defensive philosophy. I know these are kids, but somebody has to step up. Kent showed promise at times, but needs to be more consistent. Hawthorne, the only times I saw him, came in during bad situations, but clearly he has work to do. If our goaltending doesn’t get any better, then we need to adjust our defense to protect our goalies.
                    Based on his 18-19 numbers & coach Potulny's post season comments, I expect Connor Ryckman to be the number one goaltender next year.
                    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                    AHA:
                    B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                    ECAC:
                    HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                    NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                    WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                    Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                      Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      Based on his 18-19 numbers & coach Potulny's post season comments, I expect Connor Ryckman to be the number one goaltender next year.
                      Was he hurt?
                      “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                      – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                      when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                        Originally posted by devildog View Post
                        Was he hurt?
                        Transfer so was ineligible. He was 26-0-1 with a 1.44 GAA & .933 sv% leading UW-Stevens Point to the DIII National Championship in 2019. Coach Potulny has said his performance in practice makes him feel like he will have a "major impact"
                        Last edited by moose97; 03-14-2020, 04:12 PM.
                        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                        AHA:
                        B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                        ECAC:
                        HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                        NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                        WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                        Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                          Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                          Transfer so was ineligible. He was 26-0-1 with a 1.44 GAA & .933 sv% leading UW-Stevens Point to the DIII National Championship in 2019. Coach Potulny has said his performance in practice makes him feel like he will have a "major impact"
                          Awesome. Thanks for the info.
                          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                            Some more info on NMU's new signee Forward Rylan Van Unen (6'1" 190lbs) (Kamloops, BC) Merritt Centennials (BCHL) who signed with NMU for 2020-21.... He's the twin brother of NMU Freshman Defenseman Michael Van Unen.... Rylan had (17 Goals & 11 Assists) this year for Merritt....
                            Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 03-15-2020, 08:50 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 2020-21 NMU Hockey Season

                              Chiefs Departing Veteran Inks NCAA Deal With NMU

                              March 16th, 2020

                              https://chilliwackchiefs.net/chiefs-...nks-ncaa-deal/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X