This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

At this rate, Grasso will be eligible for Social Security and a UNH pension when he's done playing.
    Speaking of Grasso, Chuck is it more disappointing to end up just short of the vaunted Century Club or the Next Round Number?
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
      Speaking of Grasso, Chuck is it more disappointing to end up just short of the vaunted Century Club or the Next Round Number?
      Good question Felgie. Given the amount of work put into constructing a scenario to reach the desired goal - as in, length of contract, strength of schedule, etc. - I think the more disappointing of the two would have been the NRN. Grasso had a bad run of injuries, which in the end hurt his chances, but if he wanted (wants?) it bad enough, the door is still open for him to return next season, and I can't imagine he wouldn't make the CC then.

The only way Umile gets to nibble at the NRN would be if a Kullen scenario played out, and instead of going with one of the assistants right away, they called The Turtleneck in from retirement for a few weeks/months, like they did with Coach Holt.

Sticking with the NRN as the bigger of the two disappointments.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Edit Update: Crookshank signs with Ottawa

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        "Fool's gold" is what it was. A team that underperformed all season long, finally seemed to figure it out in the closing stages of the season (although a quick 3-0 deficit raises questions even of that). And quickly, then your season is over, short of the HE Semis (again), and come September/October, what happened over a couple of hours in Chestnut Hill with an entirely different cast of characters over six months ago, lost to the sands of time. Nothing more, nothing less, and thanks for playing.
        Jumping off Damien Carfagna's 2 goal (one EN) one assist night, UNH's defenseman pipeline is a positive. They'll be supplementing the D with Ardanaz and Huard this year, but still be able to let two good recruits, Carfagna and Gagne, play in the USHL next year. They will be losing Maass, who was banged up and very limited the past couple of years. Reid stepped up to be a top pair guy, and anecdotally, Eriksson played better with him vs. being paired with Maass.

I thought the D cleared the zone pretty welll this year. They did not get hemmed in often and made good outlet to forwards in good positions to attack. The defensive issues seemed to be in coverage, less on physical battles. Quick turnovers and an uncovered guy. Scheme? (Of course, on the PK, it was entirely decision on what to cover.)

Having a D of Eriksson/Reid
        Ardanaz/McKinnon
        Verrier/Jenson
        Huard/Semandel is pretty solid, and if Verrier/McKinnon leave, you have upgrades the following year in Carfagna & Gagne.

Carfagna=Dave MacIntyre 5'10 Lawrence Academy Left shot D
        https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...dave-macintyre

@NYHockeyJournal
        ·
        21h
        Damien Carfagna (Wood Ridge, N.J.) is No. 12 in
        @JeffCoxSports
        ’ Top 12 for ‘21. A New Hampshire commit and Lawrence Academy alum, the left-shot defenseman plays for the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL). Read the full story online: http://nyhockeyjournal.com/top-12-for-21-

Dylan Krill
        @dylan_krill
        ·
        Mar 6
        “Carfagna is a dependable defenseman, capable of playing big minutes. He is reliable on the penalty kill, but also likes to be apart of the offense and contribute. He is best when he stays conservative and...” More on Damien Carfagna below! #2021NHLDraft #USHL
        Quote Tweet
        https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...RIH2j_mini.jpg
        NHLEntryDraft.com
        @NHLEntryDraft
        · Mar 6
        LATEST: Check out this #NHLDraft report on DAMIEN CARFAGNA of the Green Bay Gamblers, via @dylan_krill. https://nhlentrydraft.com/reports/2524/
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-17-2021, 03:02 PM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Yep just saw it...Angus signs with the Sens...so sorry to lose him but so very happy for him. Good.luck Angus!!! Thank you and best wishes....
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Yep just saw it...Angus signs with the Sens...
            Do we know if he's leaving school now to report to an AHL affiliate, 'Ref?

Comment

Do we know if he's leaving school now to report to an AHL affiliate, 'Ref?
              From what I read on the Sens page he will report to their AHL affiliate following a qtine period for an ATO. Their fans are intrigued by his name and seem thrilled he's coming.

Comment

• Depressing being on the outside looking in...again. To think we almost UML'd BC....sigh. Predict: UML pulls the upset of the season and becomes the next HE champion, giving them yet another HE title and a bid to the NCAA's. Just when you think Norm is slippin'.....

Comment

Depressing being on the outside looking in...again. To think we almost UML'd BC....sigh. Predict: UML pulls the upset of the season and becomes the next HE champion, giving them yet another HE title and a bid to the NCAA's. Just when you think Norm is slippin'.....
                  Meanwhile, JvR posted six SOG against the Rangers last evening. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Meanwhile, JvR posted six SOG against the Rangers last evening. :-)
                    Ha! At least someone on the Flyers was shooting....not a good look against the Rangers I'm afraid last night...eek!

Comment

Depressing being on the outside looking in...again. To think we almost UML'd BC....sigh. Predict: UML pulls the upset of the season and becomes the next HE champion, giving them yet another HE title and a bid to the NCAA's. Just when you think Norm is slippin'.....
                      (Holding my hand up) Yup I'm one of those "Is Norm slipping?" doubters. Or maybe "was".

I personally think BC got screwed last night (yes, that's me saying that), but still, coming from 3 goals back late in the game to eventually win in 2OT? Why can't UNH ever seem to do that??

Suspect we all have theories on "why not" on that last bit. But kudos to Bazin regardless.

He wrecked what was looking like a great evening of predictions for me.

I do still think UMass wins the Lamoriello for their first time this weekend, though.

Comment

Ha! At least someone on the Flyers was shooting....not a good look against the Rangers I'm afraid last night...eek!
                        Fly

Just one of Flyers 31 SOG last night.

Comment

• Brad Elliott Schlossman
                          @SchlossmanGF
                          New Hampshire goaltender Ty Taylor, a Tampa Bay Lightning draft pick, has entered the transfer portal. Taylor started 2 of 23 games this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                            Brad Elliott Schlossman
                            @SchlossmanGF
                            New Hampshire goaltender Ty Taylor, a Tampa Bay Lightning draft pick, has entered the transfer portal. Taylor started 2 of 23 games this season.
                            Oh my....Could this mean Mike Robinson is returning?? Even with Jed Baliotti coming in (is that correct) I'd think we still would need another (if MR does not return)?

Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-21-2021, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Brad Elliott Schlossman
                              @SchlossmanGF
                              In retrospect, hardly surprising. His lack of playing time this season was inexplicable.

Robinson has been a fairly steady and decent goalie, but not to the level where his back-up shouldn't have seen more time between the pipes in game settings. It's not like Taylor forced the issue with his own less-than-stellar play - just as had been the case with Robinson himself trying to earn more playing time when Tirone was the lead dog - but Taylor was a junior, while Robinson was still only a soph when Tirone was a senior. But clearly MS7 didn't trust Taylor. And considering that Taylor was another one of "his guys", it makes you either question MS7's talent analysis as a recruiter (of course understanding not everyone gets everything right, but ... ) OR leaves you wondering what happened between player and coach over the last three seasons?

Say what you will about Coach Umile (and Lord knows, I've had lots of pros and cons) ... but his "transfer outs" didn't ever become a big issue, while the impression here is that transfer outs and early departures have increased under his successor. I know Umile didn't have the "transfer portal" to deal with during his time, but for the most part - for better or for worse - it seemed like his players had a clear understanding of what their career arc was going to look like, followed it, and played it out. Is it my imagination (could be?) OR are things just getting more and more unstable under MS7?

Comment

Say what you will about Coach Umile (and Lord knows, I've had lots of pros and cons) ... but his "transfer outs" didn't ever become a big issue, while the impression here is that transfer outs and early departures have increased under his successor.... Is it my imagination (could be?) OR are things just getting more and more unstable under MS7?
                                Umile's talent drain was from players who never made it on campus. There was the standard academic issues (Yandle, Matt White), the non-standard academic issues (Cam Reid), and the jilted at the alter (Ryan Bourque, Dan Kolomatis). The final blow was when his base, the fellow-Italians, turned on him (Vecchione, Laleggia).

The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X