This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

It's called a message board. It works this way ... someone posts something with information and/or an opinion(s), someone else reads it and reacts, and can ignore or respond IF they agree/disagree and have something else to offer on the topic.

'Watcher knows how I feel about the subject of his post, so he put together a post that he knew would probably elicit a response, especially when he took some HEPI-influenced data to a questionable conclusion - basically turning a .500 UConn team into a "Big 4" program, despite there already being five (5) HEA teams with better win-loss records so far this season.

'Watcher's post did catch my attention, I knew he was baiting me, and I said so in responding.

Hockey East is loaded with lots of mediocre coaches/programs who enjoy unusual staying power.

The prime examples of these folks include coaches at UNH, UMaine, UConn and Merrimack. UVM used to be in this group, and a few years ago so was UMass Amherst. UMass Lowell used to be here too, then Bazin moved them up, but they've sagged a bit since, and currently occupies a middle ground where Bazin's goodwill keeps him around, unless/until there is a downturn. His path is increasingly similar to that of a certain Dick Umile.

The folks coaching at BC, Providence, Northeastern, UMass (currently) and (arguably) UMass Lowell have transformed their programs, and the BU coach is the latest of a few guys post-Parker who haven't succeeded OR failed to impact the program to a definitive degree yet.

So here's a quick recap of the Who's Who of HEA Coaching, broken out into three tiers:

Transformative: *York (BC), Leaman (PC), *Madigan (NU), Carvel (UMass - latest entry)
    On The Bubble: *Bazin (UML - trending down?); O'Connell (BU - TBD); Woodcroft (UVM - TBD)
    Long Term Mediocrity: *Canaan (UConn); *Borek (MC); Gendron (UMaine); *MS7 (UNH)

Folks with asterisks next to their names, those are the coaches I've commented on here with some degree of regularity over the years - good OR not so good. Luce is one of several.

You think I'm "talking about him a lot". So you are probably a UConn fan.

Instead of being a snarky d-bag, why don't you post and tell me how I'm wrong about your guy?
    I don’t know as much hockey as you all do, so I won’t even try, but I can sum up your post in two words:

1. Triggered
    2. Rent-free

You are triggered; and Cav lives rent free in that noggin of yours. Have fun with that and carry on, sorry for interrupting your message board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbowing View Post
      I don't know as much hockey as you all do, so I won't even try, but I can sum up your post in two words:

1. Triggered
      2. Rent-free

You are triggered; and Cav lives rent free in that noggin of yours. Have fun with that and carry on, sorry for interrupting your message board.
      Yes, a coaching mediocrity who seriously thinks he was the "Belichick" to York's "Parcells" at BC, and has since demonstrated his amazing amazingness by posting a .444 winning percentage as a head coach in Storrs - or as I posted a little earlier than when you first entered the thread, slightly less mediocre than Borek and MS7 (thanks Felgie for the supporting numbers) - he is "in my head".

Of course. As opposed to the far less logical "he's amusing as he11 because he's fallen flat on his face after bigging himself up for most of the last decade, but with nothing to show for it."

Thanks for setting me straight, skippy.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Maybe it's time to start a 2020 "post-season/post season" thread soon?

LET'S GO 'CAT FOOTBALL TEAM!!! :-) :-)
        (never imagined that I would be saying those words in the month of March)
        Not a football fan, but I take it losing to Albany is not a good thing. Is Marty's new toy also wearing out?
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Not a football fan, but I take it losing to Albany is not a good thing. Is Marty's new toy also wearing out?
          OK, so as someone who enjoys CFB and has kept up with UNH Football to some degree over the last 30 or so years, here is my short-term and long-term read on the situation across the street.

Short-term: winnable game against a good opponent on Friday night. Apparently (based on listening to the commentators on NBCSN, who seemed quite pro-UNH) Albany is considered a program on the rise, and made the D-2 (or whatever) playoffs for the first time last season, and advanced with a first round win over "powerful" Central Connecticut State before bowing out in the next round. They have a good QB and an experienced defense, and after UNH took a 14-7 lead into the break, Albany dominated most of the second half, scoring the next 17 points to take a 24-14 lead into the last few minutes of the game.

UNH capitalized on a late turnover with a touchdown, but (spoiler alert) missed the PAT to leave them down 24-20 with just a few minutes left to play. They eventually stopped Albany and forced a punt with about a minute left to play, but Albany's punter basically handed them a late Christmas present when he first dropped the ball on a clean snap, and then kicked it from his own 15 yard line while sliding along the ground, soccer-style. Illegal kicking, loss of down, UNH has it first and goal from the Albany 7 yard line to improbably win the game. All of the momentum is going their way until ...

... first, a 5 yard illegal substitution call, and then an illegal motion penalty, and before UNH has as much as snapped the ball once, a first and goal at the 7 becomes first and goal at the 17. From a down and distance where pretty much everything is still on the table, to a down and distance where Albany can defend the end zone, UNH throws it into the teeth of the defense instead of trying to maybe make back the penalty yardage in the first play, and basically 4 unsuccessful passing plays in a row allow Albany their "get out of jail free" card. All after Albany pretty much handed it to UNH on a silver platter. Ugh.

Long-term: I know this was Coach MacDonnell's first game back after his illness, so I don't want to be too harsh here (e.cat will not be happy with me) ... but UNH Football and the Coach Mac Era have developed some compelling similarities to the Coach Umile Era across the street. Consistently winning RS teams, enthusiasm ends up building them a new facility, a long run of postseason football in a 16 team playoffs format, but they somehow can never quite get over the hump to win the really big one. And to be fair to Coach Umile, his teams actually got to the National Finals twice (and semis 4 times at 2-2) whereas UNH Football has only made it to the D-2 semis twice (0-2). UNH has gradually slid back from their peak a little less than a decade ago, and have missed the playoffs for the last 3 (?) seasons. Sound like anything else we know, folks?

Solution? Become soccer fans! The UNH Men's Soccer program is a Top 20 D-1 program under the tutelage of Durham NH native Marc Hubbard, who has resurrected the 'Cats over his 6 seasons with the program to a legit national contender, and has won the last two America East tourney titles to add to his D-2 National Championship during his prior tenure at SNHU. He's still a young guy, who has known nothing but success wherever he has played and coached, and has demonstrated an ability to win in the postseason. Competing at the highest levels of D-1 in the sport will be challenging, but this is a guy who lives for challenges. It would be great if somehow UNH Hockey could get someone of his ilk in charge of our fave program.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Just for clarification purposes..... ; -)

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

OK, so as someone who enjoys CFB and has kept up with UNH Football to some degree over the last 30 or so years, here is my short-term and long-term read on the situation across the street.

Short-term: winnable game against a good opponent on Friday night. Apparently (based on listening to the commentators on NBCSN, who seemed quite pro-UNH) Albany is considered a program on the rise, and made the D-2 (or whatever) playoffs for the first time last season, and advanced with a first round win over "powerful" Central Connecticut State before bowing out in the next round. They have a good QB and an experienced defense, and after UNH took a 14-7 lead into the break, Albany dominated most of the second half, scoring the next 17 points to take a 24-14 lead into the last few minutes of the game.
            UNH's Mike Murphy was one of the commentators, so....there ya go. :-)

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Long-term: I know this was Coach MacDonnell's first game back after his illness, so I don't want to be too harsh here (e.cat will not be happy with me) ... but UNH Football and the Coach Mac Era have developed some compelling similarities to the Coach Umile Era across the street. Consistently winning RS teams, enthusiasm ends up building them a new facility, a long run of postseason football in a 16 team playoffs format, but they somehow can never quite get over the hump to win the really big one. And to be fair to Coach Umile, his teams actually got to the National Finals twice (and semis 4 times at 2-2) whereas UNH Football has only made it to the D-2 semis twice (0-2). UNH has gradually slid back from their peak a little less than a decade ago, and have missed the playoffs for the last 3 (?)
            It's D-1 - FCS subdivison. UNH hasn't been in D-2 since the late 70's ;-)
            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Albany and UNH were ranked 13th and 14th respectively in the pre-season, so a close game was kind of expected. And yes, having watched the game, Chuck was absolutely correct that Albany handed them a late 4th quarter Christmas gift with a big Blue and White bow on it, only to be squandered away thanks to poor coaching decisions, dumb decisions by the players, and a dropped TD pass that normally would have been caught 95% of the time.

I wouldn't say Marty's "new toy" isn't quite yet worn out....but......it is starting to take a similar Umile-esque trend.....
              UNH

Comment

• Gildon +1 with an assist in his second professional game, a 5-3 Bakersfield win...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Breaking news! UNH will be at Alfond Arena on Wednesday. Governor must have caved in on appeal by athletic department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Breaking news! UNH will be at Alfond Arena on Wednesday. Governor must have caved in on appeal by athletic department.
                    Gives UNH a handy excuse if they lose "how hard it is to play at the Alfond". Convenient.
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Gives UNH a handy excuse if they lose "how hard it is to play at the Alfond". Convenient.
                      Still no fans allowed.

Comment

• ‘Ref with the negative vibes!?! Whoa. :-)

Might we be missing some players due to Covid protocol?
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          ‘Ref with the negative vibes!?! Whoa. :-)

Might we be missing some players due to Covid protocol?
                          I know I'm sorry.....It was a coach last week I thought? Good point with no fans...guess we'll find out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

Still no fans allowed.
                            You've got a point there....

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

I know I'm sorry.....It was a coach last week I thought? Good point with no fans...guess we'll find out!
                              Oh yeah, right. I need to start paying attention. It is the playoffs.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Oh yeah, right. I need to start paying attention. It is the playoffs.
                                And I need to be less cranky

Comment

Working...
                                X