This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarassing. Men vs. Boys.

Our team is the slowest I have ever seen. There are about 4 players unable to pose any threat even if they could handle the pucks.

Opponents now 24-75 on PP, about 333%

Amazing that NU can recruit with a 1920s non-NHL sized rink. Almost makes you think.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Embarassing. Men vs. Boys.

Our team is the slowest I have ever seen. There are about 4 players unable to pose any threat even if they could handle the pucks.

Opponents now 24-75 on PP, about 333%

Amazing that NU can recruit with a 1920s non-NHL sized rink. Almost makes you think.

on the good news front regarding UNH and speed, Elle Purrier broke the American indoor 3000m record today. Not much help on the ice, but hey, need something positive out of this abysmal weekend.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Well I'll be....ties it up! 3 for 5 on the PP?!
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Good news ... UNH improbably claws back from a 4-0 deficit by scoring the next 4 goals.

Bad news ... they still manage to find a way to another regulation loss.

Somewhat random question: what do we make of the fact that UNH's back-up goalie has a basic white mask with no UNH-related customization features? He's played so infrequently over his career that I really hadn't taken notice until tonight. I honestly can't remember the last UNH goalie to have gone without some UNH-related customization on his mask.

Mask customization has become so ubiquitous over the years, it stands out now when it's missing, whereas it used to be the norm back in the day. You tend to see "blank" masks on goalies who've just been traded/acquired, until they get around to having someone do the upgraded new team artwork/motif. In this instance, it's a guy in Year 3 with this program, who's struggled to get any regular starts or a part in anything resembling a rotation.

Unenthusiastic? Coincidence?? Thoughts on a night when there's not that much to discuss???
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• No idea if Taylor has worn the white mask all season or not, but he definitely wore a customized mask in his first two seasons at UNH. I doubt it means anything.

https://unhwildcats.com/sports/mens-...ty-taylor/8346

--

UNH has 20 wins over the past two seasons - eight have come in OT. As bad as things have been, what would we be feeling if they didn't have so much puck luck in overtime...
            Last edited by Dan; 02-13-2021, 10:12 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              No idea if Taylor has worn the white mask all season or not, but he definitely wore a customized mask in his first two seasons at UNH. I doubt it means anything.

Taylor wore the customized mask in his earlier appearances this season against Northeastern and UConn.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Hey Chuck, did you ghostwrite these quotes?

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-The-Faith.php

"Looking back, some nights I keep myself up kicking myself, because I was one of the coaches in the league that was adament thinking that we owed it to the kids to play as many games as possible after what they had to endure," Souza said. "And when I say endure, I want you to know I keep that in perspective because of what's going on globally.

"The captains and the guys who've been around say, 'Coach, I just want to play games.' And I know my children feel the same way. So I felt it was my responsibility to try to play as many games as possible. The reality was we played a lot of games without having a lot of practice, or not practices. Injuries and not being in sync. I think we paid the price for playing those games.

"But I wouldn't change anything. ... I'll stand by this, I think it was the right thing to do. I am thankful we were given the opportunity to play. You talk to (Union coach) Ricky Bennett or somebody like that, and you feel for him. So who am I to say I don't want to play this week because we have a couple guys out of the lineup or whatever it is. That's not who I am. Unfortunately we didn't get the result and injuries piled up, but this year, with everyone being in the playoffs, our goal is to be at our best at the end."
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  No idea if Taylor has worn the white mask all season or not, but he definitely wore a customized mask in his first two seasons at UNH. I doubt it means anything.

--

UNH has 20 wins over the past two seasons - eight have come in OT. As bad as things have been, what would we be feeling if they didn't have so much puck luck in overtime...
                  Pictures of Ty in his pre unh days show him in I believe the customized mask he wore in his early UNH games. Time for a new one...which I'm sure will be forthcoming. Interestingly...Danny Tyrone did not have a customized mask until his Sophomore season. If you look at him in the HE qtrs where we defeated PC his mask is white.

Dan...your last comment made me sad...if you did watch the game last night the NU announcers spoke about the proud UNH tradition of hockey. We all wait breathlessly for its return...especially those of us who have only seen glimpses but still follow and cheer hoping for the best...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

...the NU announcers spoke about the proud UNH tradition of hockey. We all wait breathlessly for its return...especially those of us who have only seen glimpses but still follow and cheer hoping for the best...
                    Now you know how us long-time NU fans felt over all those years wandering the frozen desert.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Now you know how us long-time NU fans felt over all those years wandering the frozen desert.
                      Well, I don't have the experience of those on this board who saw HE Championships, 20 plus win seasons...I started following just as NU was gaining some ground...the biggest thrill was when UNH defeated NU at home in 3 games to go to the Garden, beating PC in the semi and losing to UML in the HE Final in '14. (Which was not thrilling but it was enough to keep my attention..) After that we did make it back to the Garden the next season but have been chasing those days ever since...with a qtr final win over MC being the closest we've come and that was in 2018?

Anyway! Obviously a culture of winning has been created at NU with Jim Madigan and Co. (who sat across the aisle from me on the way home from Ireland; I talked to the goal tender coach quite abit about that who sat next to me) which has paid off. So, I kind of feel like I have been on/am on that frozen desert of sorts and am glad you have had the chance to find success in the past few seasons! Am happy for you...

Maybe these things come around only a few times for a team, but then, I think of other programs who have been stalwarts in NCAA hockey (and other sports) who seem to understand the importance of creating a winning culture and recruit to keep that going. It's awesome to have a 'past' but you can't have a 'future' without feeding that culture. Living in the past, talking about the past successes are fun to do; fill one with nostalgia of the 'good old days' but they do not guarantee present day success. Not a perfect science, but, seems to be effective (I'd make that in very small letters but can't due to this new board format)
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-14-2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

...Obviously a culture of winning has been created at NU with Jim Madigan and Co. (who sat across the aisle from me on the way home from Ireland; I talked to the goal tender coach quite abit about that who sat next to me) which has paid off...
                        Did JM and/or Ed Walsh talk you into making a donation to the Husky Hockey Fund?? Too bad we didn't run into each other in Belfast. What a fabulous road trip. Nothing like road trips to ummm...Lowell?

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Did JM and/or Ed Walsh talk you into making a donation to the Husky Hockey Fund?? Too bad we didn't run into each other in Belfast. What a fabulous road trip. Nothing like road trips to ummm...Lowell?

haha nope, not quite! I spend my money on the 'Cats! It is too bad we didn't catch up in Belfast that was the 'ultimate' road trip! I enjoy my trips to Matthews; maybe next season for sure. Good luck the rest of the way...

Comment

haha nope, not quite! I spend my money on the 'Cats!...

Madigan has a reputation for being able to sell refrigerators to Eskimos. Hope you check your credit card statements.

Comment

Well, I don't have the experience of those on this board who saw HE Championships, 20 plus win seasons...I started following just as NU was gaining some ground...the biggest thrill was when UNH defeated NU at home in 3 games to go to the Garden, beating PC in the semi and losing to UML in the HE Final in '14. (Which was not thrilling but it was enough to keep my attention..) After that we did make it back to the Garden the next season but have been chasing those days ever since...with a qtr final win over MC being the closest we've come and that was in 2018?

Anyway! Obviously a culture of winning has been created at NU with Jim Madigan and Co. (who sat across the aisle from me on the way home from Ireland; I talked to the goal tender coach quite abit about that who sat next to me) which has paid off. So, I kind of feel like I have been on/am on that frozen desert of sorts and am glad you have had the chance to find success in the past few seasons! Am happy for you...

Maybe these things come around only a few times for a team, but then, I think of other programs who have been stalwarts in NCAA hockey (and other sports) who seem to understand the importance of creating a winning culture and recruit to keep that going. It's awesome to have a 'past' but you can't have a 'future' without feeding that culture. Living in the past, talking about the past successes are fun to do; fill one with nostalgia of the 'good old days' but they do not guarantee present day success. Not a perfect science, but, seems to be effective (I'd make that in very small letters but can't due to this new board format)
                              Just bad timing on your part, HR. Since the 1966/67 season (55 years), UNH has had 39 years with winning records: '66/67-'78/79, '80/81-'83/84, '90/91-'94/95, '96/97-''10/11, '12/13-'13/14 (I am assuming that we will not have a winning record this 55th season).

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                BTW, while I think he goes after the season, I just looked it up and Anthony Wyse -- the "will he be a big free agent after his junior year" -- is still unsigned.
                                Wyse to the ECHL:

https://twitter.com/ep_transfers/sta...45752387145729

Comment

Working...
                                X