This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

If you were a student, you'd be starved of any college life entertainment, and you'd just go.

You wouldn't be sitting around worrying, like us folks who are twice, three or four times their age.
    You’re dating yourself! Kids have it a lot better than they did back in the day. There is a reason student attendance is way down across all sports. I’m sure there are a lot of kids who want to be able to do something in person, but the potential threat of a hard 14 day quarantine would make me think twice and I’m sure a lot of kids will think the same way. Keep in mind UNH is a bottom three team at the minute. It’s not like they’re going to watch the great UNH teams of days gone by.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Looks like everyone is healthy tonight
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        You're dating yourself! Kids have it a lot better than they did back in the day. There is a reason student attendance is way down across all sports. I'm sure there are a lot of kids who want to be able to do something in person, but the potential threat of a hard 14 day quarantine would make me think twice and I'm sure a lot of kids will think the same way. Keep in mind UNH is a bottom three team at the minute. It's not like they're going to watch the great UNH teams of days gone by.
        You're either missing my point, or we're just talking past each other (maybe both?) ... this isn't about the quality of the on-ice or even the off-ice experience at The Whitt, or long term attendance trends. It's about an EVENT. Something they've been deprived of by their elder "betters" for the better part of a year now, and something some of them may never get a chance to do during their remaining time at UNH as undergrads, ever again. You give the students a chance to go yell in public and blow off some steam after living these cloistered lives ... and you seriously think most of them are going to think, "Nah, I'm worried about getting the 'Rona, no thanks, I'll pass" when the punishment - 14 days "hard" quarantine - is really not all that different from the monotonous everyday reality they've been living on campus since pretty much September?!?!?

Dial things back to last Spring for a moment ... did Spring Break in Florida cease to exist OR did it go on anyways, maybe with a few less kids? You know the answer. College kids are still kids, they're not worried about paying the mortgage, they don't care if the market is up or down, they aren't worried about getting the flu shot. That all comes later, for most anyway.

Give them an EVENT, and many of the kids will want to be there, either to see what's on display, or to be with friends, or just to be seen and be part of something in the community. They don't need to be hockey fans, or football fans if the Friday Night Football thing comes to pass. Just like not everyone at a BLM march is a SJW, and not everyone at Trump rally is a right-wing gun-toting lunatic. We used to have things like parades and circuses, and you didn't have to love drum & bugle music, or the smell of fresh camel manure out on Main St. in Your Town USA, to just come out and enjoy the EVENT.

This EVENT would be all about the novelty of an experience, too long withheld from folks young enough to not be bothered by abstract worries that will eventually creep up and bother them as they get older. Kids still think they are bulletproof, and it's because, for the most part, they still are.

Maybe it's you who's showing your age, eh Drew? :-)
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Now that was a well played game 'Cats! Hung in there in the third and got the win. Two goals by Tyler Ward...great to see Charlie K on the ice!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Now that was a well played game 'Cats! Hung in there in the third and got the win. Two goals by Tyler Ward...great to see Charlie K on the ice!
            USCHO box score says Pierson got the first one.

No idea what's right or wrong ... but 3 points to start the weekend is a very good thing!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

USCHO box score says Pierson got the first one.

No idea what's right or wrong ... but 3 points to start the weekend is a very good thing!!
              Correct you are! And I must've missed the penalty shot somehow? Geeze. That's what I get trying to watch both the 'Cats and the B's! Yes...that's a real good start...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Man, I watched a little of the Ottawa v Canadiens last night; if you haven't seen Tim Stutzle play he's something else. Of course makes me ask the 'what might have been' q but, he wasn't destined to be a college hockey player.

Here's to the weekend will we see a full 60 out of the 'Cats? Let's go!
                Stutzle figured in all three Senator goals (goal and two assists) for the 3-2 win.

JvR got his sixth goal of season tonight on a beautiful tip on the PP at the beginning of the third, after he drew the penalty late in the second, and it looked like it might stand for a 1-0 win until the B's made yet another third period comeback.

And, our Puddy Cats delivered tonight, especially the goalie.

Scott, time to come back to your thread; we won!
                Last edited by Snively65; 02-05-2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Eriksson, I haven't seen glaring mistakes, but -9 is getting to suggest not an anomaly. [Edit: A single season of +/- is a bad indicator, and in the past he hasn't been worse than his teams, so this is an outlier.] I previously commented that his role on the PP is not great, as he isn't the puck lugger, or the type to break down the D with a change of direction.
                  Why does he have to make me look bad with a deep rush last night?

Did it again, breaking the forecheck and a nice clean headman. And Reid with a pullback gets around the pointman for a shot, Crookshank rebound.

Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-06-2021, 04:29 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Nice win last night. Could have gone sideways with a couple of plays, but Robinson was big. Crookshank is a house on fire.

At least I got that right -- Cafarelli making a very good opportunity with a deluxe touch pass back to the slot for Ward's one-timer.

And Chuck, as a parent of two college frosh, whose friends are at colleges everywhere, including UNH, rest assured, the kids are finding things to do. (My goodness, those SEC schools.) They're not bored, even if its not the college experience of our days. The 14 day quarantine is a big "punishment" because it stops the interactions they are having.
                    The cynical part of me wonders if the ability of students to attend helps justify not rebating the student activity fee.
                    That said, I think its low risk to get the fans there, as long as they are spread out enough. We're almost there. Heck, the girls' UNH friend already got her first shot (even as my parents await their first shot next Friday) Not sure how that works.
                    Thanks for that!

Chuck would do well to listen to yours truly
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

And Chuck, as a parent of two college frosh, whose friends are at colleges everywhere, including UNH, rest assured, the kids are finding things to do. (My goodness, those SEC schools.) They're not bored, even if its not the college experience of our days. The 14 day quarantine is a big "punishment" because it stops the interactions they are having.
                      I'm not here to invalidate your personal experience with your kids, 'Watcher ... however, I do have semi-regular contacts with about two dozen current and former summer league players who are at various stages of their college careers at a wide array of schools - some still playing competitively at those schools, others who just enjoy playing competitively in summer league with their old teammates and even-older coach (c'est moi) - and stories I'm hearing from them as we begin to plan for this coming summer league season do not mesh with what your kids are experiencing, or with what Drew reports. Bored out of their socks, most of them, to the point where I'm hearing from many of them unsolicited about the summer, rather than me having to chase down commitments, as has been the usual routine for the better half of a decade now.

No doubt, the world is changing, and maybe the information reaching all of us is coming through different filters? But I still think if UNH were to try this, and capped attendance at 500 students, there would be a line that's longer than 500 kids.

That's all I've been saying, and I'm sticking to my guns. :-)

Comment

Eriksson did it again, breaking the forecheck and a nice clean headman. And Reid with a pullback gets around the pointman for a shot, Crookshank rebound.

The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• If I had a draft I'd obviously go Crookshank #1, but Ward at #2 is close. Just caused a turnover on PP.
                          Of course, Robinson is in there, but goalies are hard to judge.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

If I had a draft I'd obviously go Crookshank #1, but Ward at #2 is close. Just caused a turnover on PP.
                            Of course, Robinson is in there, but goalies are hard to judge.
                            At this rate, Eriksson might creep into your Top 5 by the end of tonight's game, 'Watcher ... :-)

Comment

• Well, nobody's going to catch Angus
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Wow...just beautiful work by Angus!!! Way to go 'Cats getting back into this one!

Comment

Working...
                                X