This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

That was pretty much a non-answer, HR. Scapegoat the goalie ... yet it's not the goalie's fault, but Taylor has to play ... it's the fault of the defense, there should be more cohesive play, etc.

Each and every piece of that puzzle lies at the collective feet of the coaching staff, yes? And MS7 is in charge of the coaching staff. His entire coaching staff consists of 3 guys whose collective experience was as better-than-average D-1 players, and as non-descript D-1 assistants. So ... when you said it's time to "change it up", you were by definition either asking the coaches to "change it up" OR asking the guy in the corner office to "change it up" with the coaches. Please, just pick one.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... Robinson has played well, last season and this season so far, but he's not going to be on any of the All-HEA teams nor likely even Honorable Mention. That's good, but not "excellent" or great. So, how bad is Taylor where it causes MS7 to ride Robinson like he was Conklin, Ayers, Regan or DeSmith in their respective D-1 primes? And if Taylor hasn't panned out, well hey, MS7 recruited him, right? When you're the HC, all decisions lead to the HC, no?

It looks to me like MS7 is coaching like his job is on the line (and if so, I'm OK with that) where he's putting all his eggs in the Robinson 2021 basket, and can't be bothered to be concerned about the Taylor 2022 basket, 'cuz he (MS7) thinks that might end up being someone else's problem. And if it still ends up being MS7's problem, he has the offseason to try to pull a rabbit out of his hat, so he's kicking that can down the road a few weeks.

You don't have to agree/disagree, but that's the way his actions come across to this observer.

With all due respect, PC outplayed UNH from start to finish. It wasn't particularly close, either. Yet they were somehow still in the game until they folded like a flimsy lawn chair with stupid, basic defensive miscues early in the 3rd period. I think it was Snives who said it could have been 7-1, which I agree with BTW. This is not the first time this pattern has played out.

That's a downright depressing outlook.

I would agree, MS7's teams seem less well-prepared than his predecessor's teams were.

Frankly, he's not recruited as well as any of the guys preceding him during the Umile Era either.

And that includes end stage Borek. Let's sit back and chew on that one for a moment ...
    Corrected your post
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Missed the game last night, and I'm kind of glad that I did.

I'm going to refrain from posting any more here...as we have been taught so many times, "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all".

This team and its coaching staff "are what they are", and nothing is going to change that fact now and for the forseeable future. Fighting for HE cellar space seems inevitable at this point...

Over and out!
      Agree Scott...'is what it is' right now. Hope you pop in tho now and then! Miss seeing you at the 'Whitt (and everyone else)
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Chuck, my post was more a musing that was coming from a convo I was having with a few other fans on another message board, and I do not, in way shape or form, blame Mike Robinson for the teams woes. I've already explained my thoughts on that. I'm well aware of Ty Taylor's numbers etc. Mike has kept them in games and it has to be frustrating. I hope the team bounces back and does him proud Sunday.

Rather than copy your post, just a couple of comments...

I don't have to make a choice about whether I'm in the MS7 camp or not. I want him to succeed, as I know everyone does. In the 8 years I've followed the best I've experienced is a .500 season, couple of trips to the Garden, some great wins and have enjoyed the total experience. But I do want/expect more if I'm being honest... I do want to see a winning product, there is no doubt. It's not hard to see what happens when schools 'change up' things , see UML, PC, and as of late, UMass. I just don't see that happening at the U, regardless of the Covid situation being a difficult year etc....

You say that my comment about there not being a change in the HC dept. as down right depressing. What's depressing, that it is the truth, or that it's a lousy attitude about what should be done? I think it's very realistic, Chuck, given what I've noticed/seen from UNH over even the few years I've been affiliated with it. Since when is a coach's record a reason for replacement there? Seriously, I am sure it's happened but, doesn't seem like it's the norm by any means. Hence, my comment. The powers that be agreed to the plan of bringing him in and I believe they will see that through. Guess we'll find out. I'm not the only one who feels that way about this; see Scott's comments.

So, I'm going to enjoy the team as is, coz, I mean, what else is there to do? I'm in it for the long run. Sorry if I'm wishy washy 'bout stuff....happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Missed the game last night, and I'm kind of glad that I did.

I'm going to refrain from posting any more here...as we have been taught so many times, "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all".

This team and its coaching staff "are what they are", and nothing is going to change that fact now and for the forseeable future. Fighting for HE cellar space seems inevitable at this point...

Over and out!
          What!?!? You cannot quit posting, Scott! Why? Because UCSHO Fan Forum rules state that those who start threads cannot quit. Just like "There is no crying in baseball." Moreover, with the new USCHO format, there is apparently no end to threads, even after thousands of posts. :-)

Back to watching the Bruins deal with TvR and Chara (who?).

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Rather than copy your post, just a couple of comments...

I don't have to make a choice about whether I'm in the MS7 camp or not. I want him to succeed, as I know everyone does. In the 8 years I've followed the best I've experienced is a .500 season, couple of trips to the Garden, some great wins and have enjoyed the total experience. But I do want/expect more if I'm being honest... I do want to see a winning product, there is no doubt. It's not hard to see what happens when schools 'change up' things , see UML, PC, and as of late, UMass. I just don't see that happening at the U, regardless of the Covid situation being a difficult year etc....
            I want MS7 to succeed as well. But he's been in the mix for six (6) years now, and it's not trending favorably. I can assure you, we both want the same thing. ALL of us on here want the same thing. But you (and many others) also do not see the folks further up the chain making a change any time soon. THAT's exactly what I find to be downright depressing, not you, and certainly not your comments. You go on to touch on that ...

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            You say that my comment about there not being a change in the HC dept. as down right depressing. What's depressing, that it is the truth, or that it's a lousy attitude about what should be done? I think it's very realistic, Chuck, given what I've noticed/seen from UNH over even the few years I've been affiliated with it. Since when is a coach's record a reason for replacement there? Seriously, I am sure it's happened but, doesn't seem like it's the norm by any means. Hence, my comment. The powers that be agreed to the plan of bringing him in and I believe they will see that through. Guess we'll find out. I'm not the only one who feels that way about this; see Scott's comments.
            Sadly, given the history of the current AD and other UNH sports, it's not only realistic, but it's downright probable, too. So those of us lucky enough to have seen some very compelling hockey at UNH in the Holt and Umile eras, we can likely expect at least a decade of mediocrity - or more likely, a retirement/change of AD - before things have a shot at turning around.

The "new car smell" of the MS7 era at UNH is skunked. If he's going to succeed now, he's going to have to work twice as hard to get it turned around, because now he's not only selling "I'm not Coach Umile", now it's also "I'm learning from my mistakes and changing for the better". That's a tough sell.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            So, I'm going to enjoy the team as is, coz, I mean, what else is there to do? I'm in it for the long run. Sorry if I'm wishy washy 'bout stuff....happens.
            We're all wishy-washy on something, HR. And I think those of us on here are all "in it for the long run". I hope it works out, at least I've seen some terrific things, you've gotten virtually nothing of note to enjoy so far. You and those like you deserve better - and so do the old-timers like me now.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

We're all wishy-washy on something, HR. And I think those of us on here are all "in it for the long run". I hope it works out, at least I've seen some terrific things, you've gotten virtually nothing of note to enjoy so far. You and those like you deserve better - and so do the old-timers like me now.
              Not me; I am not wishy washy on anything. :-)

But, sadly, HR just missed getting to see TvR on the blue line at UNH, but she did get to see him score his first goal of the season with the Caps tonight against the Bruins.
              Last edited by Snively65; 01-30-2021, 10:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Not me; I am not wishy washy on anything. :-)

But, sadly, HR just missed getting to see TvR on the blue line at UNH, but she did get to him score his first goal of the season with the Caps tonight against the Bruins.
                Actually, I did catch some of the TvR era in the Fall of '14 (we were not STH's yet until the following season) but he was injured in that Union game and that...was it. Nice to see him
                get his first goal as a Cap and thought he played well. Darn it Ovi! See you Monday, ha!

Comment

Actually, I did catch some of the TvR era in the Fall of '14 (we were not STH's yet until the following season) but he was injured in that Union game and that...was it. Nice to see him
                  get his first goal as a Cap and thought he played well. Darn it Ovi! See you Monday, ha!
                  And, JvR got an assist on Flyers GWG tonight. If BvR got into a fight tonight, the three bro's would have a combined Gordie Howe Hat Trick. :-)

Comment

And, JvR got an assist on Flyers GWG tonight. If BvR got into a fight tonight, the three bro's would have a combined Gordie Howe Hat Trick. :-)
                    Knoxville Ice Bears 2020-21 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Seems unlikely that BvR had a fight last night, zero (0) PIM's to date with the Knoxville Ice Bears.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Knoxville Ice Bears 2020-21 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Seems unlikely that BvR had a fight last night, zero (0) PIM's to date with the Knoxville Ice Bears.
                      Meanwhile, our Puddy Cats draw first blood minute and half into game 2 at Schneider!

Comment

Meanwhile, our Puddy Cats draw first blood minute and half into game 2 at Schneider!
                        Ugh that 5 on 3 tho....your behind the net play that you cannot score from special.
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-31-2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Ugh that 5 on 3 tho....your behind the net play that you cannot score from special.
                          Agree, that on a 5-3 they should be able to get the puck side to side at the top, forcing the forward to chase there. Down low, they can get it side to side, but no defender has to chase, and the two forward can shut down the pass out to the points.

On the PP, they need to get Luke Reid as the puck mover, as Kalle Eriksson is bogging down the plays. While he's an off-the puck one timer option, he's not creative in moving the puck from the top of the umbrella, just side to side. They are overly reliant on Grasso for the one-timers, though I liked the change of having him in the center, keeping an option that needs to be covered instead of the defenders just going round the periphery.

And on the 5 on 5, they need to watch McDonald of PC, who manages to get pucks on the net with wrist shots. The UNH d seem unable to get pucks to the net. They cue it up for a bit open shot, rather than just buying space to get around the defenders.
                          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 01-31-2021, 03:59 PM.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Costly, costly penalty. Announcer just said we've been out scored 7 to 0 in the 3rd in two games. Sigh.

Comment

• Iiiiiiiiiii'm back!!!!!!!!!

Here it comes folks.....the great third period collapse is underway!!!!!

Wear your gal-durned masks!!!!
                              I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
                              AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Agree, that on a 5-3 they should be able to get the puck side to side at the top, forcing the forward to chase there. Down low, they can get it side to side, but no defender has to chase, and the two forward can shut down the pass out to the points.

On the PP, they need to get Luke Reid as the puck mover, as Kalle Eriksson is bogging down the plays. While he's an off-the puck one timer option, he's not creative in moving the puck from the top of the umbrella, just side to side. They are overly reliant on Grasso for the one-timers, though I liked the change of having him in the center, keeping an option that needs to be covered instead of the defenders just going round the periphery.

And on the 5 on 5, they need to watch McDonald of PC, who manages to get pucks on the net with wrist shots. The UNH d seem unable to get pucks to the net. They cue it up for a bit open shot, rather than just buying space to get around the defenders.
                                10 PP's this weekend, one being a 5 on 3, and nada points. Some looks, some shots...but nada. I do not read any stories about these games because I do not wish to hear "we need to coach it better". Redundancy bores me. Sorry, I'm being snarky.

Comment

Working...
                                X