This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

it's exciting to see Patrick Grasso score some points as he moves toward 100 career points.
    This sounds like UNH hockey has now moved to Hospice Care. If excitement for the program these days revolves around a player who has been playing on campus for 5 years moving toward 100 career points, then the ghost of Rube Bjorkman and Lively Snively have left the building. He has played 114 games and has 81 points. Quite obviously players of a different caliber, but for comparison Ralph Cox had 127 GOALS in 128 games. Bob Miller had 89 points in a season and Krog had 85.

Why aren't we DEMANDING these "Great Recruiters" find players like these? Are we to believe that NO other school was interested in them? That they were scared Durham was too distant? Snively too dreary? Or the Whitt ice was too large?
    Last edited by Whalers; 01-26-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post

This sounds like UNH hockey has now moved to Hospice Care. If excitement for the program these days revolves around a player who has been playing on campus for 5 years moving toward 100 career points, then the ghost of Rube Bjorkman and Lively Snively have left the building. He has played 114 games and has 81 points. Quite obviously players of a different caliber, but for comparison Ralph Cox had 127 GOALS in 128 games. Bob Miller had 89 points in a season and Krog had 85.

Why aren't we DEMANDING these "Great Recruiters" find players like these? Are we to believe that NO other school was interested in them? That they were scared Durham was too distant? Snively too dreary? Or the Whitt ice was too large?
      And thanks to the bleeding hearts he has ANOTHER year of eligibility remaining. Hope the compliance office at UNH makes sure that its not an NCAA violation to give scholarship money to a player who is also collecting a social security check.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Now 6 years? Yikes! Possibly a good idea for Grasso to inquire about how many years of service would qualify him for a state pension.

Comment

Now 6 years? Yikes! Possibly a good idea for Grasso to inquire about how many years of service would qualify him for a state pension.
          I had read elsewhere that he was eligible for another year with the Covid exception, but I noticed Watcher didn't include him on his spreadsheet so perhaps I was wrong.
          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

I had read elsewhere that he was eligible for another year with the Covid exception, but I noticed Watcher didn't include him on his spreadsheet so perhaps I was wrong.
            Just an oversight. Maybe he will want to move on, depending on where he is in his graduate program, like BVR
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• UNH fighting back from injury midway through the season:
              https://tnhdigital.com/2021/01/24/un...gh-the-season/
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Just an oversight. Maybe he will want to move on, depending on where he is in his graduate program, like BVR
                One would think he's already in the midst of a graduate program at UNH in Year 5, changing midway doesn't look compelling on the surface, unless like BvR he's aching to get away from MS7?

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                  Good news for injury riddled New Hampshire, per coach Mike Souza. Sens pick Angus Crookshank back at practice today. Cam Gendron, too, though it's uncertain if he'll be ready for this weekend. And favorable news from captain Charlie Kelleher's MRI. Could be ready for next weekend

PC-UNH series this weekend will be Friday at Whittemore Center & Sunday at Schneider Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                    Good news for injury riddled New Hampshire, per coach Mike Souza. Sens pick Angus Crookshank back at practice today. Cam Gendron, too, though it's uncertain if he'll be ready for this weekend. And favorable news from captain Charlie Kelleher's MRI. Could be ready for next weekend

PC-UNH series this weekend will be Friday at Whittemore Center & Sunday at Schneider Arena
                    Hey thanks for this info! Always look forward to some UNH v PC hockey ('specially when we win) Glad to hear that Angus will be on the ice and hope the ChKell / Cam aren't far behind. Go 'Cats!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• JVR with 2 goals tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by msprice View Post
                        JVR with 2 goals tonight.
                        And, 7 SOG! :-)

Comment

First, I think that Rube is still alive at age 91 in Roseau, Minnesota.

Second, these former UNH greats that you note played during a time of no defensive accountability and "juiced" pucks.

Third, Grasso should not only play a sixth year at UNH, but also go for a PhD and become a perfesser.

Comment

• On Grasso: so WHAT if he's played for 5 seasons...ever hear of a red shirt athlete? And second, at least we have something / someone moving towards a milestone we haven't seen since TyK etc. Yes, it's true the program needs some big dogs doing big dog things, (or Cat) but, hey, I'll take it. Surely you don't begrudge the points he scores. Doubt he'll return next season, but if he does, that's fine with me.
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

First, I think that Rube is still alive at age 91 in Roseau, Minnesota.

Second, these former UNH greats that you note played during a time of no defensive accountability and "juiced" pucks.

Third, Grasso should not only play a sixth year at UNH, but also go for a PhD and become a perfesser.
                              1) - Rube (and Betty White) still bringing it, always best to be wake up on the green side of the grass.

2A - Cox and Miller for sure played in a defensively challenged era, but you still had to be able to shoot the puck where they ain't. In comparison to the rest of college hockey with the same defenders and goalies, they still were far and away great talents. Why did they choose UNH? Someone had to SELL them on the idea - Souza isn't that guy, so he needs to do what any great leader/coach does, FIND THE PERSON THAT CAN SELL, and FAST!!

2B) Krog on the other hand played in a much different time, remember Dickie had seen the light and wanted defense, and not all out scoring. Seeing his transformation from a doughy 20 point freshman to a chiseled 85 point senior should be a film shown to every UNH freshmen after they sign their offer.

3) If we give Grasso a 6th year, can he at least take some summer courses on how to become a more productive hockey player? The first five years have been average at best for one of their BEST players.

Comment

3) If we give Grasso a 6th year, can he at least take some summer courses on how to become a more productive hockey player? The first five years have been average at best for one of their BEST players.
                                He peaked early in his Frosh season with Tyler Kelleher and Co., piling up a ton of goals/points on the power play, he hasn't managed to come even close to those number since.

On a different note, it looks like Andrew Poturalski is unfortunately not with the Ducks as the NHL season kicks off. Hate to see another talented kid go down the Darren Haydar AHL Lifer route. No shame in playing well in what may be the second most competitive league in the world, but it's not what the kids dream about when they're growing up. Then again, it took Martin St. Louis until he was 25 years old before he cracked the NHL for good, and he's in the HHOF. Poturalski is 27, and his former linemate Kelleher just turned 26, and he only made it two seasons in the AHL before he went the European route. Goes to prove the huge gap between D-1 and The Show.

In the meantime, JvR has morphed into a Phil Esposito netfront presence this year. Good for him, hope he proves me wrong, Philly looks like they may be the real deal this season.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X