UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    UNH goes on the PP one minute into OT ... Pierson scores, UNH splits the series, now at 2W-2L-1T
    If taking two points of a possible six constitutes a split...
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

If taking two points of a possible six constitutes a split...
      True...but beats a loss and especially to UConn as I do not have to go over our record with them in recent seasons
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

True...but beats a loss and especially to UConn as I do not have to go over our record with them in recent seasons
        Not a comment about UNH as much as about the absurd approach to overtime at all levels of the sport. Talk about a solution in search of a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
          Not a comment about UNH as much as about the absurd approach to overtime at all levels of the sport. Talk about a solution in search of a problem.
          Agreed 100%. I was never one of those folks who had an issue with regular season ties in hockey. Overtime was always synonymous with post-season ... until it wasn't. And I'm sorry, but OT in the regular season ain't OT in the post-season, no matter how much you want it to be. Not to mention, the formerly unique experience of an honest-to-goodness penalty shot being awarded maybe a dozen times over the course of a full league season (NHL, D-1 etc.), that's gone now too, due to the "ties are bad" cabal.

Follow soccer's lead, award 3 points for a win, one point for a tie, and watch the final 5-10 minutes of regulation change from two teams playing it safe to at least one of the teams going all out for the win - maybe both if the teams are evenly matched. Save extra time forays for post-season or Cup competitions (i.e. the Beanpot) so it's special and actually means something.

But the jeanie is out of the bottle, so good luck stuffing it back in. Not in my lifetime anyway ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Agreed 100%. I was never one of those folks who had an issue with regular season ties in hockey. Overtime was always synonymous with post-season ... until it wasn't. And I'm sorry, but OT in the regular season ain't OT in the post-season, no matter how much you want it to be. Not to mention, the formerly unique experience of an honest-to-goodness penalty shot being awarded maybe a dozen times over the course of a full league season (NHL, D-1 etc.), that's gone now too, due to the "ties are bad" cabal.

Follow soccer's lead, award 3 points for a win, one point for a tie, and watch the final 5-10 minutes of regulation change from two teams playing it safe to at least one of the teams going all out for the win - maybe both if the teams are evenly matched. Save extra time forays for post-season or Cup competitions (i.e. the Beanpot) so it's special and actually means something.

But the jeanie is out of the bottle, so good luck stuffing it back in. Not in my lifetime anyway ...
            I will give the devil its due. At least Hockey East got it right, giving every game three points, as opposed to the NHL.

Comment

• SCHEDULE UPDATES

https://***********/UNHMHOCKEY/statu...196889603?s=20

Wednesday: UNH at #8 UMass 3:30 PM (SportsLive)
              Friday: UNH at #2 Boston College 7 PM (NESN)
              Sunday: UNH vs. #2 Boston College 4 PM (SportsLive)
              Last edited by Scott; 01-05-2021, 06:57 PM.
              UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                SCHEDULE UPDATES

https://***********/UNHMHOCKEY/statu...196889603?s=20

Wednesday: UNH at #8 UMass 3:30 PM (SportsLive)
                Friday: UNH at #2 Boston College 7 PM (NESN)
                Sunday: UNH vs. #2 Boston College 4 PM (SportsLive)
                That's quite a daunting little stretch. Hopefully the 'Cats can find a win or two in there.

Comment

That's quite a daunting little stretch. Hopefully the 'Cats can find a win or two in there.
                  If today's game is any indication, it most certainly is. And with Knight, Boldy coming back from the WJC's....UMass just methodically doing their thing out there. Sigh.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Newhook and St. Ivany in the fold for BC as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      Newhook and St. Ivany in the fold for BC as well!
                      Oh...that's right....We did have some decent games with them last year; went 1-1-1 if I recall, but, we have to be better. Period.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

A win or two? How about a goal or two.

pretty sure the definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results. And I’m not talking about the team I’m talking about being excited for a game and mid-way through the first being done with the game.

10 goals for the season, 6 of those were in 1 game. Stating the obvious but the PP is about as bad as you can get. Playing the perimeter doesn’t work. Point to behind the net to other point, rinse, lather, repeat

id have to look back (gives me nightmares) but ZooMass I believe had more goals in the 2nd than UNH had shots.

Needless to say scoring is a massive struggle and not sure how to get out of it. Can’t blame a layoff there have been 3 games in 5 days.

at this point it’s time to get the young guys in who haven’t played and see what we have. This year is a wash play for next year and after.

Comment

• The U Mass team is a very good passing team. Their passes are very quick, accurate and strategically appropriate.

U Mass is definitely a couple of notches better than U Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                            The U Mass team is a very good passing team. Their passes are very quick, accurate and strategically appropriate.

U Mass is definitely a couple of notches better than U Maine.
                            Wait 'til you see BC this weekend ...

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

A win or two? How about a goal or two.

10 goals for the season, 6 of those were in 1 game. Stating the obvious but the PP is about as bad as you can get.
                              Maybe we should forfeit the PP advantage and stay at even strength?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Maybe we should forfeit the PP advantage and stay at even strength?
                                Seems like the PP has been a chronic issue at UNH since Ty Kelleher left a few years ago.

I don't remember this being such an issue during most of the Umile era ...

Comment

Working...
                                X