This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
    Not sure we are in any position to throw stones over attendance, our target audience the last few seasons has been youth hockey teams...
    ... yes, and even with the demise of the so-called "Kings of NH Hockey" as competition for the hockey dollar, the folks in Durham still can't seem to devise a more effecting marketing campaign.

I'm not sure if it's apathy or just downright laziness? Such a shame, though ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Not sure we are in any position to throw stones over attendance, our target audience the last few seasons has been youth hockey teams...
      Not only that but the guy is simply flat out wrong but whatever...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

... yes, and even with the demise of the so-called "Kings of NH Hockey" as competition for the hockey dollar, the folks in Durham still can't seem to devise a more effecting marketing campaign.

I'm not sure if it's apathy or just downright laziness? Such a shame, though ...
        Just my view, but if you're not selling the tickets anyways do a full court press to get students in the building and give them both ends. In the fall instead of just the pep band bring the full marching band in every game. Let the students own it and let it be their "thing". Hell, if it takes tailgating to get them to opt-in open Boulder Field and do that pre-game as well.
        As well as additional concessions money you'll also breathe some life in to the building which will probably help recruiting, no one likes sitting in a library on a recruiting trip.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Just my view, but if you're not selling the tickets anyways do a full court press to get students in the building and give them both ends. In the fall instead of just the pep band bring the full marching band in every game. Let the students own it and let it be their "thing". Hell, if it takes tailgating to get them to opt-in open Boulder Field and do that pre-game as well.
          As well as additional concessions money you'll also breathe some life in to the building which will probably help recruiting, no one likes sitting in a library on a recruiting trip.
          Hard to disagree with any of that. But that would take some degree of effort by someone in the ticket office and/or athletic department ... which of course is where we run smack-dab into the whole apathy - laziness thing. But I don't see it happening until MS7 develops the necessary gravitas that only comes with a few winning seasons, and starts to throw his weight around.

Try that now, and BS35+infinity might be tempted to show MS7 the gate McCloskey style, and hire a more subservient sort. Thou shalt not disturb my very comfortable tenure etc. ad nauseum.

Surprising that we haven't heard from our old pal 1932 yet. Honestly, I do hope he's alright ...

Comment

• Further musings.
            While the Monarchs and UNH are both hockey it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. For a lot of people in their mid-20's - mid-30's the Monarchs were part of the larger idea of a 'night out', at least with people I knew. They'd go to the game, hit the bars after, and get up to whatever else for entertainment in Manchester. Durham doesn't have that same draw. Yes, it has bars, but they're college bars, and unless you're an alum it's probably a bit awkward to be in your late-20's/mid-30's hanging out in a college town in a college bar surrounded almost entirely by 21 and 22 year olds; it's something most probably feel they have grown out of by that age.
            The Monarchs, just like most levels of pro-hockey from the mid to late 90's on, relied heavily on casuals. That's not to say they didn't have regulars or die-hards, but it's a different experience to UNH. From my time at the Whitt it's been almost entirely based around regulars, and when regulars would leave for the most part they'd be replaced by new regulars - there's never really been a casual fan element, even at the height of it's popularity. The problem they ran in to is that the number of regulars who stopped coming exceeded the number of new regulars they could get to buy in.
            Now, you can certainly make the argument that "a dollar is a dollar, bring on the casuals!", but I'd honestly hate it if that were the Whittemore Center experience; large groups of people who are only there for the night and have no emotional investment in whether the home team wins or loses. But, a dollar is a dollar.
            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Game day!
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Game day!
                I'm trying to get excited about this, I really am. But gosh, it's even quieter than usual on here ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                  Major home ice advantage for BC. They are used to playing in front of no fans.
                  LOL it'll be like we're playing in UNH's trophy case. Advantage: Mildcats.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• "Inconclusive" covid test in UNH program, game postponed. Hopefully it comes back negative on the next test.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      "Inconclusive" covid test in UNH program, game postponed. Hopefully it comes back negative on the next test.
                      Source?? Not seeing anything on the websites and social media......
                      UNH

Comment

• A real shame. I’m obviously a neutral but was looking forward to watching tonight.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

Source?? Not seeing anything on the websites and social media......
                          College Hockey News reported the postponement on Twitter. I have not seen confirmation of the inconclusive test, but I have seen that speculated elsewhere. Seems to have legs as the game tomorrow is still on as scheduled...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• I don't know how long it takes to get test results but best case scenario is definitely that it comes back negative and they do in fact play Sat/Sun. Women's game appears to be a go.

Comment

• http://hockeyeastonline.com/articles...ovember-20.php
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• This is going to be one very frustrating hockey season. I feel for all of the people involved. Going to college and playing collegiate sports is usually one of the best experiences of a person's life. I'm afraid there will be a lot of postponed/canceled games.
                                Last edited by Ray Dorn; 11-20-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X