UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Did anyone else see this article? Huge windfall for UMaine athletics, courtesy of the Alfond Foundation:

https://goblackbears.com/news/2020/1...oundation.aspx

I'm guessing Alfond Arena will be receiving the first overhaul.
    Lots of retroactive financial aid available now
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Any cause of death for Bobby Miller?
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lo...240&fhid=25332
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• TvR joins his 3rd NHL team with a one year contract with the Washington Capitals: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/capitals-add-trevor-van-riemsdyk-another-move-horizon
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Also, speculating that a Captain might be made er named (this isn't the Sopranos haha) soon...here is my guess: Charlie Kelleher gets the 'C'...Benton Maass, Mike Robinson with the 'A'. Also hearing a late November start? Not sure about the fan thing. Not sure about much when it comes down to all of this given the rise in C-19 cases. I don't know from one week to the next if my own school will stay open either from one week to the next but grateful so far, so good....Hope all are well....
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Ref, I have to believe much of the increase we are seeing in Covid cases is in large part to the significant increase in tests being conducted. There has always been many more cases out there, but they didn't get counted as they were never tested. Check out the article from NHNPR (https://www.nhpr.org/post/explore-da...shire#stream/0) where you can see a dramatic increase in testing beginning in late September. My daughter's high school is doing great (second or third largest in the state I believe) and we feel very good about the job they are doing. So bottom line, I think NH overall is doing a good job with our numbers (especially in schools and universities) and despite recent "increases" a hockey season should not be out of the question. If given the choice to wear a mask, social distance and go to a game, I'll be there.
              GO BLUE!

Comment

• UNH to hold in-person commencement ceremonies this spring:
                https://www.unionleader.com/news/edu...61ffb6825.html

...it currently looks as if UNH athletes will be able to compete in some winter sports, as long as students can be kept safe during practices and competitions.

“Any visitors to campus, such as, for example, visiting teams or coaches, would be subject to exactly the same testing protocol that we enforce for our own community,” Dean said.

Comment

• Originally posted by ListenToThis View Post
                  Chuck -- curious, you must live on the Seacoast, yes? Have you ever met Marty? It seems your obsession has only grown for him through the years, but you never mention actually speaking to him or any coaches you relentlessly criticize - A lot of talk and nooo walk... Sorry to say it buddy, but you remind me of my daughter at 15 when she was wildly obsessed with Justin Bieber and would get in constant battles with other online trolls, each having NO idea who the other is... all over a popular singer with cute hair. I have to believe at this point you either get some sort of sexual gratification from this anger and obsession, and/or, you are so disappointed in your own life's path, likely gave up on a dream you had many years ago, and instead of looking in the mirror at your own sad eyes, you refocus all your open time to something that really seems silly to care so much about. It's disturbing you know so much about this man's life... up to what his wife does and her role in the community? Feels very stalkerish bud if I do say so myself. I have never met Marty personally, but Coach Cyd made a wonderful impact on my daughter her during her time coaching at Portsmouth High School. Coach Cyd is beloved by anyone I've ever talked to, and she is honestly a great coach (a player myself back in the day). I don't think any of this will really mean anything to you -- fact vs. your fun little twisted fiction clearly isn't present. But with all sincerity -- from me and a few coworkers who have seen this thread go on for a bit -- get yourself a new hobby. This is a sad look, even from just a screen-to-screen view, and I can only imagine how much sadder your reality is. There are plenty of other things to be obsessed with, no? Maybe join a group that does good? You clearly have a lot of time on your hands, as you have been able to track someone else's life and entire career? Be obsessed with a non-profit sports org that helps kids get off the streets and on the field/court/rink. Be obsessed with rescuing animals. Be obsessed with bettering your own life. It's sad man. When the AD does retire, what are you going to even do with yourself? Might want to start planning a new twisted hobby . Cheers mate.
                  I feel like I've seen this rant before but like 10 years ago. No, not in anything Lowell related... definately UNH and Scarano related.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Alex Hall's College Hockey: Wildcats hoping to start play next month:
                    https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...7573da665.html

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                      Ref, I have to believe much of the increase we are seeing in Covid cases is in large part to the significant increase in tests being conducted. There has always been many more cases out there, but they didn't get counted as they were never tested. Check out the article from NHNPR (https://www.nhpr.org/post/explore-da...shire#stream/0) where you can see a dramatic increase in testing beginning in late September. My daughter's high school is doing great (second or third largest in the state I believe) and we feel very good about the job they are doing. So bottom line, I think NH overall is doing a good job with our numbers (especially in schools and universities) and despite recent "increases" a hockey season should not be out of the question. If given the choice to wear a mask, social distance and go to a game, I'll be there.
                      Oh, I'd agree; and testing is a GOOD thing. I'm not as I said, going down any Covid rabbit hole here (been there, done that...) and of course, with colleges here in the state testing you'd see more cases. I am more than hopeful of course that a hockey season should happen. I'd be there too in a heartbeat of course! The tricky part is if the U is going to expect fans to 'test like students' I doubt anyone (even me, hard core fan) would test twice a week? Would that be what they would want?? I'd speculate there will be a definite limit on how many people can enter the 'Whit. So far my school is hanging in there but we are 'prepared to go remote' at 'any time'. Fingers crossed for a hockey season...I miss it soooo much already.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• In his virtual town hall on Tuesday, UNH President James Dean said his hope is to have students attend Wildcats home games at the Whittemore Center and there would be a reduced capacity limit. Dean said his top priority for fan attendance is for students to be able to go to games. If students do not fill the available seats, the school would consider allowing non-student fans to attend home games but they would probably have to be tested for COVID-19 before arriving, he said.
                        From Darius' link - it sounds as if fans will be a secondary option to filling the attendance allowance with students alone...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Get tested before arriving, what a joke. Jimmy Dean is clueless. Please tell me what exactly is the point of testing non-student fans? Do students not come into contact with non-student residents of Durham on a daily basis. Durham is not exactly in its own little bubble that has no contact with the outside world. Require masks, put out hand sanitizer stations and reduced capacity, what's wrong with those options? That would require some balls, which we know Jimmy Dean and the rest lack.
                          Last edited by d.gerry; 10-15-2020, 02:36 PM.
                          GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            I feel like I've seen this rant before but like 10 years ago. No, not in anything Lowell related... definately UNH and Scarano related.
                            You may well be right. There's been a growing amount of frustration with UNH Athletics in recent years, but by no means is criticism of the long-time AD a new or recent thing. And every once in awhile, one of the AD's shrinking list of defenders makes it personal, whether it be directed at me or someone else who dares to criticize. Personally, I've lost track of it all.

Folks in academia don't like to be criticized. Some folks living in and around that world sometimes feel uncomfortable leveling criticism. The disconnect is, just because someone has been doing a certain job for a hundred years, doesn't mean he/she is doing a great (or even good) job. Unless the goal is sheer longevity. And in academia, sometimes longevity rules over all else.

We saw this with Coach Umile. And now we're seeing it with his boss. Hardly shocking ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                              Get tested before arriving, what a joke. Jimmy Dean is clueless. Please tell me what exactly is the point of testing non-student fans? Do students not come into contact with non-student residents of Durham on a daily basis. Durham is not exactly in its own little bubble that has no contact with the outside world. Require masks, put out hand sanitizer stations and reduced capacity, what's wrong with those options? That would require some balls, which we know Jimmy Dean and the rest lack.
                              I coached three summer league games, less than a quarter mile from campus, 2-3 months ago.

There is definitely not a "bubble" over Durham, that much I can absolutely confirm.

See my prior comments about the AD, and feel free to extend it to El Presidente ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Indoor hockey on pause for 2 weeks in NH after COVID-19 outbreaks:
                                https://www.wmur.com/article/new-ham...-2020/34382461

...the two-week pause on all activities on the ice in indoor facilities ...includes college teams...

Comment

Working...
                                X