UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    So we're past the Round of 16 and into the quarterfinals, and both of my predicted finalists are out. JvR managed to dress for a change, and the Flyers advanced past the Habs, and will now face the surprising Islanders who finished off the Caps in five.

Bruins and the Bolts will play in the other Eastern semi. Does Boston have enough left in the tank to overcome Tampa Bay on sheer force of will, plus the Lightnings' usual post-season shortcomings? I'll pick the Islanders over the Flyers, based solely on Coach Trotz's playoff mojo, and I do think Boston gets past Tampa Bay in six games, with Halak holding up well in goal.

Out West ... the Blues looked to be on their way back from an 0-2 hole against the Canucks, evening the series, and then with a solid lead in Game 5, but then the Blues' goalie corps turned back into pumpkins, with Allen giving it up late in Game 5 and forcing Coach Berube to go back to Binnington in Game 6, where he picked up where he'd left off in Game 2. Game set series.

Vegas vs. Vancouver looks compelling, as does Dallas vs. Colorado. On the latter, I see that old B's friend Anton Khudobin has taken over for Blob Ben Bishop in goal for Dallas, but I still see Colorado having too much, and winning in five, maybe 6 games. Vancouver surprised the crap out of me, and were able to physically stand up to the Blues, which is something a lot of very good teams couldn't do in last year's playoffs. Smart money says Vegas ... but since I'm tapped out already, I'm going to throw my allegiances with the Canucks, a dark horse no one is paying attention to, somewhat like the Blues were last season.

Revised Finals prediction: Bruins vs. Canucks in a rematch of 2011.
    Sounds good to me!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Not hockey related, but probably the key issue for all sports starting in early 2021 is the race for a vaccine. Moderna is one of 5 vaccine candidates going through the system and into Phase III trials. The results for all are generally pretty strong. Phase III is looking at the real world effectiveness, with vaccinated patients and those with placebos, being sent back into the hotspots to see if there is a difference in infection rates (hopefully, those with the vaccine has minimal cases). Other countries are apparently using challenge trials in which vaccinated patients are deliberately exposed to the virus. Another unanswered question is whether the neutralizing anitobides persist, or whether they drop off as in patients who actually had the virus. It seems that even if they drop off, the remaining level is still a fairly strong protection against either reinfection, or the disease itself.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...at-cdc-meeting

In a phase 1 trial, Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine produced “consistently high levels” of neutralizing antibodies -- a key component of the body’s protective response -- in older adults, the company said in a statement. Antibody levels in people more than 55 years old were comparable to those seen in younger adults, the company said.

The results from Moderna’s early-stage trial, which include data from 20 people in the older age group, were presented Wednesday to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. The findings are important because older adults often don’t respond as well to vaccines as younger adults.

Moderna is “totally on track” for enrolling all 30,000 patients into its phase 3 trial by September, Bancel said. “Now we are really going at full speed.”

The company said on August 21 that it had already enrolled more than 13,000 patients in the trial. Results are possible by late fall.

The company earlier published data from the same early-stage trial showing that the vaccine produced neutralizing antibodies against the coronavirus in younger adults. Triggering neutralizing antibodies in older patients is important as they are some of the most severely affected by Covid-19.
      I have seen commentary from other knowledgeable persons that Pfizer is also promising:

Pfizer published data on their phase 3 candidate today. (The Pfizer candidate from the presentation above did not move forward) The real Pfizer candidate contains a larger portion of the spike protein and produced fewer side effects as well as large immune response including 1.8x the level of neutralizing antibodies in sera positive patients ages 65-85(!). (3.8x the younger cohort)
      Preprint: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....17.20176651v1

At this point, this Pfizer candidate has to be the favorite for first FDA approval. Plenty of room for the others but between their phase 3 enrollment and countries chosen; they may be a full month ahead of Moderna.
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-27-2020, 08:08 AM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

So we're past the Round of 16 and into the quarterfinals, and both of my predicted finalists are out. JvR managed to dress for a change, and the Flyers advanced past the Habs, and will now face the surprising Islanders who finished off the Caps in five.

Bruins and the Bolts will play in the other Eastern semi. Does Boston have enough left in the tank to overcome Tampa Bay on sheer force of will, plus the Lightnings' usual post-season shortcomings? I'll pick the Islanders over the Flyers, based solely on Coach Trotz's playoff mojo, and I do think Boston gets past Tampa Bay in six games, with Halak holding up well in goal.

Out West ... the Blues looked to be on their way back from an 0-2 hole against the Canucks, evening the series, and then with a solid lead in Game 5, but then the Blues' goalie corps turned back into pumpkins, with Allen giving it up late in Game 5 and forcing Coach Berube to go back to Binnington in Game 6, where he picked up where he'd left off in Game 2. Game set series.

Vegas vs. Vancouver looks compelling, as does Dallas vs. Colorado. On the latter, I see that old B's friend Anton Khudobin has taken over for Blob Ben Bishop in goal for Dallas, but I still see Colorado having too much, and winning in five, maybe 6 games. Vancouver surprised the crap out of me, and were able to physically stand up to the Blues, which is something a lot of very good teams couldn't do in last year's playoffs. Smart money says Vegas ... but since I'm tapped out already, I'm going to throw my allegiances with the Canucks, a dark horse no one is paying attention to, somewhat like the Blues were last season.

Revised Finals prediction: Bruins vs. Canucks in a rematch of 2011.
        I am thinking Avs vs Lightning in finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

I am thinking Avs vs Lightning in finals.
          TB-BOS sure looks a whole lot different after the last 2 games. Still, I think the B's will claw their way back into this one. Maybe the unplanned break in the playoffs rejuvenates them (and Halak) just when things were going in the wrong direction?

When it comes to this version of the Bolts, they'll just have to prove it to me. Just like Toronto, or Washington pre-2018, or the Thonrton-era San Jose Sharks ... or even further back, as a huge DRW fan, the 'Wings seemingly took forever to get to the top of things, with lots of playoff disappointments strewed across the early/mid '90's before it all finally clicked. Getting that monkey off your back is easier said than done. Tampa Bay has been winning the close ones, before the 7-1 blowout win, which was atypical of their postseason run so far. The B's still have a few guys left from 2011 to channel for the experience down the stretch, and I say they'll win Game 4 to even it up. And if it's a close one or in OT, that may put a dent in TB's psyche, since they've been the ones winning the close ones ... so far.

The Sharks never got there. The Caps finally did get there (can you even imagine if they hadn't won in 2018? Ovechkin to Boston a la Bourque to Colorado 20 years ago, redux anyone?), and both Toronto and Tampa Bay have plenty more time to try to figure things out, with lots of talented players still in their primes. But until they actually get there, Toronto and Tampa Bay will just have to be these nondescript relocated cities in Missouri ... as in, "Show Me!!"
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            UNH had their intro zoom call yesterday Didn't watch, but the screen shot shows a transfer D from Lake Superior, Alec Semandel. Maybe not eligible yet as a transfer.
            https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ef3kfNoX0AAMJQF?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../alec-semandel

A bit late to the party to comment on the Zoom call - I was on the call and really enjoyed meeting next year's team. Hoping that plans to play actually come together we will see college hockey being played (either streaming or in my seat in Section 103). As an interesting aside - someone posted a screen shot of the call in a rival team's Facebook Group with a comment that read "look what UNH did last night, it would be great if WE did something like this".

Comment

• Hey folks!! Nice rainy day...we need it. Wanted to check in. Hope all have had a great summer! I have and am gearing up for my 41st...and LAST year teaching! I made the decision to make this my last; was going to do 2 more, but, just can't see past this year as I know it's going to be challenging. Also got an online gig (VLACS) to work as well so that kind of pushed me along. Can't believe it 'this time next year' I will be in a different place. But back to now! Not too much UNH news. Sorry I missed the zoom call...but I did hear that we do have a new transfer (Lake State player).

As for my BRUINS....hoping we can do something today to get back in this. I recognize the Lightning is a great club and I agree with Snively that it's prob going to be the AVS v Lightning in the 'finals'. At least the Blues are out, lol....Anyway...hoping we have some UNH hockey news to talk about soon! Usually at this time of year I am chomping at the bit to get back to the 'Whitt (that rhymes) and it's a drag we have so many unknowns. Also sad that UNH Field Hockey isn't playing as I love that as well. Do take care folks and we'll see you...sooner than later I hope and GO BRUINS!!!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CatHatLady View Post

A bit late to the party to comment on the Zoom call - I was on the call and really enjoyed meeting next year's team. Hoping that plans to play actually come together we will see college hockey being played (either streaming or in my seat in Section 103). As an interesting aside - someone posted a screen shot of the call in a rival team's Facebook Group with a comment that read "look what UNH did last night, it would be great if WE did something like this".
                You know you don't sit in your seat...haha you hang out with the other crazies (me included) on the rail! I usually make it through one period in mine, but, always join you guys...this year we won't be able to do that I'm guessing...gonna have to SIT and follow social distancing guidelines (fine with me of course I get it). See you hopefully soon...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

You know you don't sit in your seat...haha you hang out with the other crazies (me included) on the rail! I usually make it through one period in mine, but, always join you guys...this year we won't be able to do that I'm guessing...gonna have to SIT and follow social distancing guidelines (fine with me of course I get it). See you hopefully soon...
                  Guilty as charged. I’ll sit in my actual seat, maintain social distance and wear a mask (or a full hazmat suit) if it means getting to see the Cats play.

Comment

• Oops, I forgot to post on August 29th in memory of Charlie "Bird" Parker's (not Jackie Parker, and not Charlie Baker) 100th birthday (scroll back a few pages for context). :-)

Comment

• My apologies to the B's fans on here for my picking them to advance, in a postseason where almost every team I've picked to advance has faltered. With the exception of Coach Trotz and the Islanders, pretty much everyone else has bitten the dust, if not in the first round (where my Blues-Caps final crumbled) then in this current round, where the Avs and Canucks are also on the precipice of elimination. Last night, though, it was at least interesting to watch Blob Ben Bishop return to action with his Stars up 3-1 in their series, only to allow 4 quick goals and get himself pulled before the first period was over. And even JvR has been showing some signs of life recently, even if the rest of his teammates are getting methodically crunched by the Islanders.

I don't see either the Canucks or Flyers getting out of their 1-3 predicaments, so there's a 90% chance both ends of my latest Canucks-B's finals prediction will also fail to survive the round after my prediction. I would be more optimistic about the Avs' chance of getting out of their now 2-3 disadvantage, if they actually had a healthy quality NHL goalie in their ranks. They are starting to remind me of the DRW of the early '90's, who were trying to win the Cup with guys like Tim Cheveldae, Vincent Riendeau and Bob Essensa. You gotta know Joe Sakic won't sleep until he fills that gaping chasm, where it matters most ...

Stay tuned for what will likely be my next ill-fated SC Finals prediction of Islanders vs. Knights ...

Comment

• Just in case anyone missed it, The Fours in Boston has closed after 44 years in business. Sad but true!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Just in case anyone missed it, The Fours in Boston has closed after 44 years in business. Sad but true!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• [QUOTE=e.cat;n3599967]Just in case anyone missed it, The Fours in Boston has closed after 44 years in business. Sad but true![/QUOTE

Say it isn't so

Comment

Stay tuned for what will likely be my next ill-fated SC Finals prediction of Islanders vs. Knights ...
                              Of course, both of these teams failed to close out their respective series last evening.

Both are still leading 3-2, but it appears my "golden touch" with 2020 SCF predictions is still strong.

Comment

• https://www.npr.org/player/embed/909312697/909312702

​​​​​​https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...proval-process

Tracking progress on the vaccine development and deployment process. It sounds like the vaccine trial will yeild positive results, even as they are still early in the Phase III trial. No red flags so far. But the prediction seems more toward the earliest vaccinations in December, then ramping up to the middle of next year. TAssuming that model, which Fauci also seems to accept, the high risk people would start getting the first doses, while the rest is rolled out early srping.
                                So, how does this impact colleges? I ask apart from sports, knowing that they have tried like heck to get students back on campus. (One daugheter is on campus, and only 35 cases fo for the first 3 weeks, students very responsible according to her. The other, at home with remote learning and miserable, hoping second semester would be the old college try by her school.) Even if much of their community is not vaccinated, does the risk of transmission to vulnerable persons lessen to the point where schools will more-fully resume in person? And if so, obviously paying spors like football and BB would resume, but what about hockey? I assume most schools would be comfortable starting hockey in January....do they allow vaccinated students into the stands for March madness?
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X