This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I vividly remember getting out of The Whitt that evening after a UNH playoff game (couldn't tell you against whom, or even the outcome, although a W was likely, as it would have been on UNH's way to their HE Tourney repeat title), turning on the radio to catch Dick & Pete's post-game show, and even by then, word had gotten to them about the catastrophic injury to Exter, so (due to the delays from the injury) I found that game elsewhere on the car radio dial for the final few minutes.

By the time I got back to the WIS Estate (less than a half hour out of the lot), I'd already started getting calls, and then the e-mails followed, and of course the Board was gonna be post-season busy anyway, but with the Exter situation, it was crazy off the hook, as you'll probably recall. Raw and real emotion. The late Chris Serino (Umile's former UNH capo) was head coach for Merrimack at the time, so they were kind of a "second team" for many UNH fans (myself included), so while UNH didn't have any "skin in the game" (so to speak), so to me it felt like the neighborhood bully punched your kid brother.

And it was BC, of course, in a world where UNH had an argument that the post-Walsh future of HE was going to be between UNH and BC. A month later, it would be UNH in the FF Finals, capping off a two year burst in which UNH won their only two HE Tourneys, and made it to back-to-back Frozen Fours - while BC was two years out from their first modern NC, and hadn't made it back to the FF since. It was a very different competitive landscape back then.

The USCHO Boards were a real blast back then, acs64. Shudder to think how today's snow-flakery would handle that stuff. Kinda like playing a DVD of the old "Dean Martin Roasts (fill in the blank)" to your local school committee board these days, eh? Lots and lots of melting involved.

Not to mention, there were like 3-4 different "smileys" and they all worked perfectly!

Thanks for prompting the trip down USCHO Memory Lane, acs64.
    Yep, those were the good ole days . I remember most of that stuff but I dont recall UHN ever playing for anything meaningful (that used to be a big grin smiley, who the hell knows what comes up with it now. Winky winky
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• UNH South ('Canes) begin first SC round against Bruins in Toronto bubble tonight. I think that UNH South extracts their revenge this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        UNH South ('Canes) begin first SC round against Bruins in Toronto bubble tonight. I think that UNH South extracts their revenge this year.
        "Revenge" as in winning a game or two, or "revenge" as in winning the series outright?

Just because it's indeed "UNH South", I'll be pulling for the 'Canes too. It's just a difficult setting to make predictions, given the "hole" in the season. It's my sense that, more than ever before, the teams that will enjoy postseason success this year will be teams who are focused on the games, pulling together in the same direction, and not distracted by things happening outside the bubble. This used to be a given in the past, as buy-in for the playoffs shouldn't be a hard thing for experienced players who measure their success by hardware and jewelry. This year, who knows who might be distracted? It's crazy.

But Pittsburgh has already bowed out, while the annual frauds in Toronto have (not surprisingly) joined them, proving it's not a "Babcock thing" (BTW amazing he's bedding down as a volunteer assistant at UVM - why not at UNH?). I suspect the Flyers will be the next ones to be exposed, and Tampa Bay can at least point to Hedman and Stamkos for their typical excuses.

I think Washington comes out of the East, and I wouldn't be surprised if St. Louis returns to the SCF. I'll make Chicago my dark horse contender from the West, and Columbus in the East.

If the B's can get past the 'Canes, and Washington gets knocked out, it starts to look very similar to the path the B's had last season. And if that does happen, I don't expect they'll come up short this time around. But I'm picking the Caps to ride it out and beat the Blues in the SCF.

Everyone else might as well join in, this being our only hockey content for the time being ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• UNH South - B's game 1 underway after 15 hour delay. I think that UNH South takes this series.

Comment

UNH South - B's game 1 underway after 15 hour delay. I think that UNH South takes this series.
            First set of games didn't reflect all that well on my selections. But after being somewhat ambivalent about the pre-playoffs portion of the resumed NHL season (as voiced with 'Watcher), I'm starting to come around a little bit on all of this. The kid playing goalie (Korpusalo?) in Columbus, though, has been sensational so far. You can almost see why they let Bobrovsky sign elsewhere. Saw this interesting piece in the Tampa Bay Times, they've certainly got the Bolts' full attention (again):

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/ligh...ith-so-little/

In other news ... you folks may disagree, but I'm rooting (maybe for the first time ever) for Jerry Jones to get something right ...

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/jerry-...e-this-season/

Comment

First set of games didn't reflect all that well on my selections. But after being somewhat ambivalent about the pre-playoffs portion of the resumed NHL season (as voiced with 'Watcher), I'm starting to come around a little bit on all of this. The kid playing goalie (Korpusalo?) in Columbus, though, has been sensational so far. You can almost see why they let Bobrovsky sign elsewhere. Saw this interesting piece in the Tampa Bay Times, they've certainly got the Bolts' full attention (again):

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/ligh...ith-so-little/

In other news ... you folks may disagree, but I'm rooting (maybe for the first time ever) for Jerry Jones to get something right ...

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/jerry-...e-this-season/
              You should fly to Dallas for all of the Cowboys' home games, Chuck!

I have been enjoying NHL games on TV in the bubbles, as those are the only hockey games that we are likely to see even remotely this season.

TvR taking some good shifts tonight.

Comment

You should fly to Dallas for all of the Cowboys' home games, Chuck!
                I'd personally only be interested in one of 'em, Snives. The annual divisional trip for my Giants down to Big D, but things with the Giants in recent years have been trending towards their awful mid-'70's era of boring and rudderless football, so I'm less engaged with that to begin with. With the exception of Roger Staubach, and a small slice of sympathy for Tom Landry's early suffering in the shadows of Vince Lombardi when his teams were chronically known as "Next Year's Champions" - before they ascended to "America's Team" - I pretty much hate all things Dallas Cowboys. Kinda like I used to hate BC Eagles hockey - probably worse, as I've mellowed on BC in recent seasons. Not so with Dallas ...

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                I have been enjoying NHL games on TV in the bubbles, as those are the only hockey games that we are likely to see even remotely this season.

TvR taking some good shifts tonight.
                I see "our" 'Canes bounced back with a nice win over the B's last night. I'm just not sold on their goalies (Reimer or Mrazek) and despite their blossoming talent elsewhere up and down their line-up, they're going to need to upgrade in goal to become a serious contender IMO. I was also reminded why I've never been a huge Rask admirer, as despite how well he covers the bottom half of the goal, he seems woefully below average at anything glove level. Carolina found the top corners on all three of their goals, and on at least two of them, Tuukka (sp?) could only wave at them on the way by. Not impressive.

I still see the B's eventually pounding Reimer into submission, but at least this time it won't be a sweep. And Korpusalo and CBJ evened things up against the Bolts. My Western dark horse entry (CBH) isn't looking good, now down 0-2 while St. Loo and Washington (my predicted Finalists) both have early tests tonight to avoid an 0-2 hole of their own ...

Comment

• Pesce back on ice for first time since shoulder surgery over four months ago, replacing TvR, but 0 SOG for him and Foegele.

I was surirised to see 'Canes cough up 2-0 lead in third tonight to go down 3-1 in series, but I guess that is their history. Very entertaining hockey to me, even with the fake crowd noise. :-)

Comment

I was surpirised to see 'Canes cough up 2-0 lead in third tonight to go down 3-1 in series, but I guess that is their history. Very entertaining hockey to me, even with the fake crowd noise. :-)
                    Is it my imagination, or do the B's dump on James Reimer pretty much every year in the playoffs? I remember some epic fails for Reimer during his time in Toronto against the B's, and he seems to be reprising that same role again for Carolina. Must be nice for the B's to have him around in their division ...

Now for the B's and their gone-missing Hamlet of a goalie Tuukkaaa Raasskk (sp?) ... best thing to ever happen for the B's in this playoff season, possibly for the long run. Gone is their overrated goalie/albatross, who's never won THE big game in his career, it looked to me like the B's were fully confident with Halak in place, and the results since Tuukkaaa tookk off can't be viewed as a coincidence. With the Caps teetering on the brink of being "that team" this year that inexplicably loses in the first round sweep, the B's road back to the SCF is starting to open up again, kind of like last year. Tampa Bay can't have the B's quaking in their skates, given the history. It'll be interesting to see if the Islanders are for real (and I'll say Philly isn't).

Out West I see the Blues have battled back to tie up the Canucks, so I think they are starting to show their playoff mettle in wearing down finesse opponents. My dark horse pick Chicago just staved off elimination, but Vegas looks too solid, so then it's Colorado and one of Dallas/Calgary (I'll pick Calgary to overcome Blob Ben Bishop).

The West looks marginally tougher than the East to these eyes. St. Louis has already swapped out their goalies, and that's a tricky switch to turn back on, once you go there. It's getting interesting ...

Comment

• Boston advances, Halak goes 3-0 after Tuukkaa tookka off ... Tampa Bay comes from behind and buries some ghosts from last season to advance against CBJ ... Colorado thumps Arizona to advance in the West, along with Vegas who finished off my dark horse candidates Chicago in 5 games ... the Caps dodged elimination against the Islanders. The Habs fighting for their playoff lives against Philly, and the Blues and Canucks await in their pivotal Game 5 meeting afterwards.

For UNH content, watching Philly and seeing a lot of erstwhile UNH decommit Joel Farabee in a prominent role ... and then it's dawned on me, "Where is JvR?" Turns out, he's been a healthy scratch as of late, and even when dressing, he's been spending most of his time on the Flyers' 4th line, and has yet to score a point since things started back up.

Philly should win this series, I'm still not a believer regardless, and they're playing against arguably the worst team to made it to the Round of 16, so a lot of things can happen from here on out. But given how things are playing out right now, the size of JvR's contract and his age, and Philly's young guys leapfrogging him on the playoffs depth chart ...

... is it time to start asking questions about JvR's future in Philly???

Comment

Boston advances, Halak goes 3-0 after Tuukkaa tookka off ... Tampa Bay comes from behind and buries some ghosts from last season to advance against CBJ ... Colorado thumps Arizona to advance in the West, along with Vegas who finished off my dark horse candidates Chicago in 5 games ... the Caps dodged elimination against the Islanders. The Habs fighting for their playoff lives against Philly, and the Blues and Canucks await in their pivotal Game 5 meeting afterwards.

For UNH content, watching Philly and seeing a lot of erstwhile UNH decommit Joel Farabee in a prominent role ... and then it's dawned on me, "Where is JvR?" Turns out, he's been a healthy scratch as of late, and even when dressing, he's been spending most of his time on the Flyers' 4th line, and has yet to score a point since things started back up.

Philly should win this series, I'm still not a believer regardless, and they're playing against arguably the worst team to made it to the Round of 16, so a lot of things can happen from here on out. But given how things are playing out right now, the size of JvR's contract and his age, and Philly's young guys leapfrogging him on the playoffs depth chart ...

... is it time to start asking questions about JvR's future in Philly???
                        And, no TvR or Pesce in the 'Canes' final game tonight, only Foegele, who only managed one year and a half dozen games in Durham, but may be the only UNH alum still playing in the NHL next season?

Comment

• UNH had their intro zoom call yesterday Didn't watch, but the screen shot shows a transfer D from Lake Superior, Alec Semandel. Maybe not eligible yet as a transfer.
                          https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ef3kfNoX0AAMJQF?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../alec-semandel

The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

And, no TvR or Pesce in the 'Canes' final game tonight, only Foegele, who only managed one year and a half dozen games in Durham, but may be the only UNH alum still playing in the NHL next season?
                            Pesce is still a Top 6 D for Carolina. He had shoulder surgery in early March as was not ready to suit up against the B's. The Canes put him on the 31 man playoff roster knowing that he would not be available to play against the B's but hoping that he might be available in a potential later round in September.
                            THINK PINK
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              UNH had their intro zoom call yesterday Didn't watch, but the screen shot shows a transfer D from Lake Superior, Alec Semandel. Maybe not eligible yet as a transfer.
                              https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ef3kfNoX0AAMJQF?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../alec-semandel

Was on the ZOOM call too, and was surprised as well to see our new transfer Alec!

From the LSSU website:

https://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-..._d5qy?view=bio
                              UNH

Comment

• So we're past the Round of 16 and into the quarterfinals, and both of my predicted finalists are out. JvR managed to dress for a change, and the Flyers advanced past the Habs, and will now face the surprising Islanders who finished off the Caps in five.

Bruins and the Bolts will play in the other Eastern semi. Does Boston have enough left in the tank to overcome Tampa Bay on sheer force of will, plus the Lightnings' usual post-season shortcomings? I'll pick the Islanders over the Flyers, based solely on Coach Trotz's playoff mojo, and I do think Boston gets past Tampa Bay in six games, with Halak holding up well in goal.

Out West ... the Blues looked to be on their way back from an 0-2 hole against the Canucks, evening the series, and then with a solid lead in Game 5, but then the Blues' goalie corps turned back into pumpkins, with Allen giving it up late in Game 5 and forcing Coach Berube to go back to Binnington in Game 6, where he picked up where he'd left off in Game 2. Game set series.

Vegas vs. Vancouver looks compelling, as does Dallas vs. Colorado. On the latter, I see that old B's friend Anton Khudobin has taken over for Blob Ben Bishop in goal for Dallas, but I still see Colorado having too much, and winning in five, maybe 6 games. Vancouver surprised the crap out of me, and were able to physically stand up to the Blues, which is something a lot of very good teams couldn't do in last year's playoffs. Smart money says Vegas ... but since I'm tapped out already, I'm going to throw my allegiances with the Canucks, a dark horse no one is paying attention to, somewhat like the Blues were last season.

Revised Finals prediction: Bruins vs. Canucks in a rematch of 2011.

Comment

Working...
                                X