No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
    It has been a pretty wild couple of months since the end of the hockey season. There have been a lot of other things to be thinking about besides UNH hockey.

As a person, an American and fellow hockey supporter I would like to apologize to Chuck for all of the abuse he received from others a few weeks ago for his political views.

I encourage everybody to try to be an independent voter for a couple of months. Be open minded. Watch an equal amount of the news from both sides of the political spectrum. For example, one hour a day of CNN/MSNBC and one hour of Fox News. I think you would be surprised of the 50% of what is going on in the World you never hear about. Intelligence is not only about what you know, but also about knowing what you don't know.

The two major political parties in America have changed tremendously over the last couple of decades. Just because you supported one political party 30 or 40 years ago does not mean you have to stay with them for the rest of your life. Political parties values have changed just like people's values change over time as we mature and have new life experiences. Changing political parties is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength!
    I don't recall you ever saying anything to me that warranted an apology Ray, but I'll graciously accept it.

I hesitate to classify my personal beliefs as "political views" though, but I do agree with some of your larger point, which is that what the two main political parties now stand for has gone through some changes over the last few decades. I've spent most of my life as a registered Independent, and for all of the great things GOP presidents like Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and Reagan said which I wholeheartedly believe in - then as now - there were also things from Dem presidents like FDR ("The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" - especially pertinent in COVID times) and JFK ("Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country") - statements that do not stand well in the current identity politics-laden Democrat party - that resound to me.

But perhaps the most compelling statement in the current climate is that of MLK Jr. and his quote in the "I Have a Dream" speech where he dreamt that one day, people would "not be judged by the color of their skin, but only by the content of their character".

As to your suggestion about spending some time in the "other camp" … it's a simple fact of life that for folks with my beliefs, we are constantly surrounded by the messaging on the other side. 90+% of broadcast news trumpets the perspectives and beliefs of the "other camp', and pre-set home pages on computers and I-Phones are not taking folks to Fox or the WSJ, but routinely to left leaning sources of content (I leave those pre-sets in place to get some balance). So someone like me can't miss the "other half", and I'm keenly aware of their thoughts and views. Whereas folks from the "other camp" have those 90+% to choose from, and don't have to work too hard to avoid the "other camp". So while it's good advice conceptually … it's easier for some than others.

I have lots of love for liberals. I do have a HUGE issue with leftists - and yes, there is a HUGE difference there. Democrats in the liberal camp, at worst, we can agree to disagree, and sometimes, we can actually agree. But the Democrat Party is now outwardly courting the Left, and that's pure poison. I'll stop here, no need to push any buttons, I just wanted to clarify where I stand.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      He lost me when he lumped protest in with criminal actions. I assume the inability to distinguish between laudable behavior and illegal behavior led to the rest of his post.

Chuc, to your point, I do see that there are legitimate theories for reopening. I think shutting down was the proper thing to do to stabilize the situation, buy time, and learn about the enemy. Now that we are a bit further down the road, everyone agrees with reopening. Whether GA/Texas proves to have timed it right will be determined only after a while. How and when is the challenge, and rural/city dynamics are obviously key. The obvious answer is that sports should be last on the list, though for pro sports, the value, both monetary and mental for fans.
      The problem for college athletes is that the NCAA pretends the valuable sports are mostly for students, and now have to grapple with wanting the money. For sports like Hockey that are marginal profit centers, or even losses, do you keep them even though the risk outweighs the benefits?
      As I said, with colleges reopening in the fall, with some protections but really with few for the students (roomates, dorms, social interaction), and facemasks, as odd as that feels to us, are the largest component of that -- I think we know that droplets in enclosed areas are the largest vector, while transmission through surfaces is minor. The key will be accepting risk, knowing that they are in the lowest risk group, and testing so that even while there will be spread before syptoms, outbreaks can be caught to mimize exponential growth. Ultimately, people will have to accept their risk tolerance, and I think most college kids and athletes are willing to do so. The concern is less for them, and more on the people to whom they may unwittingly pass it -- family and elders.
      Its really the older folks at risk, and college professors tend to be pretty old, and some coaches, too. Whether coaches/professors want to take a sabbatical or retire will be an issue.
      And, because the transmission can occur before symptoms/diagnosis, the leagues have to figure out what happens when one player tests positive, and suddenly 5 kids on the team also get it. Does the team just drop out of the league for the season? Do they try and ride it out with the remaining 20 players?

*** Sweden has admitted that its approach was wrong, so touting them may not support the argument. As with everything, the extremes are not right, and the truth lies in balancing the greys.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-things-wrong
      All in all, I probably agree with 90% of what you've got in here, top to bottom.

I do believe the timing of the states' decisions unfortunately has become politically-driven.

I'm rooting hard for Gov. Cuomo (liberal) to dust NYC Mayor DeCommio (leftist) ASAP.

I'll be 60 in a year-and-a-half, and I don't want kids altering their lives to accommodate me/my safety.

FWIW … NH has much better COVID-19 numbers than Sweden, so that should allay HR's concerns about Engaras and Eriksen (sp?) returning for next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        He lost me when he lumped protest in with criminal actions. I assume the inability to distinguish between laudable behavior and illegal behavior led to the rest of his post.

Chuc, to your point, I do see that there are legitimate theories for reopening. I think shutting down was the proper thing to do to stabilize the situation, buy time, and learn about the enemy. Now that we are a bit further down the road, everyone agrees with reopening. Whether GA/Texas proves to have timed it right will be determined only after a while. How and when is the challenge, and rural/city dynamics are obviously key. The obvious answer is that sports should be last on the list, though for pro sports, the value, both monetary and mental for fans.
        The problem for college athletes is that the NCAA pretends the valuable sports are mostly for students, and now have to grapple with wanting the money. For sports like Hockey that are marginal profit centers, or even losses, do you keep them even though the risk outweighs the benefits?
        As I said, with colleges reopening in the fall, with some protections but really with few for the students (roomates, dorms, social interaction), and facemasks, as odd as that feels to us, are the largest component of that -- I think we know that droplets in enclosed areas are the largest vector, while transmission through surfaces is minor. The key will be accepting risk, knowing that they are in the lowest risk group, and testing so that even while there will be spread before syptoms, outbreaks can be caught to mimize exponential growth. Ultimately, people will have to accept their risk tolerance, and I think most college kids and athletes are willing to do so. The concern is less for them, and more on the people to whom they may unwittingly pass it -- family and elders.
        Its really the older folks at risk, and college professors tend to be pretty old, and some coaches, too. Whether coaches/professors want to take a sabbatical or retire will be an issue.
        And, because the transmission can occur before symptoms/diagnosis, the leagues have to figure out what happens when one player tests positive, and suddenly 5 kids on the team also get it. Does the team just drop out of the league for the season? Do they try and ride it out with the remaining 20 players?

*** Sweden has admitted that its approach was wrong, so touting them may not support the argument. As with everything, the extremes are not right, and the truth lies in balancing the greys.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-things-wrong
        Covid-19 is old news! Try to keep up
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

In other UNH hockey news.......

Nolan McElhaney is transferring to LIU

https://***********/McelhaneyNolan/s...276685312?s=20
          UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            In other UNH hockey news.......

Nolan McElhaney is transferring to LIU

https://***********/McelhaneyNolan/s...276685312?s=20
            Nolan, we hardly knew ye …

Any truth to the rumors that BvR, Justin Agosta and Eddie Caron will be joining him?!?

Comment

I don't recall you ever saying anything to me that warranted an apology Ray, but I'll graciously accept it.

No, I did not say anything to you that warranted an apology, but others on the forum did! They do owe you an apology, but I have not seen it yet.

Comment

Hockey players have to think hard about going to or transferring to a start-up collegiate program like Long Island University. They will need a full roster the first season of 22 to 24 players, but then they will have to work hard to balance out the four classes (freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors) for the future. Does anybody know if they will be using their full allotment of 18 scholarships the first year or 4.5 or something in between? Of the players that are on the team the first year only about 30 to 35 percent likely will be on the team the fourth year.
                Last edited by Ray Dorn; 06-03-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Speaking of the 2020/21 roster, noticed some potentially troubling news poking around today. On Heisenberg's site that lists incoming projections there were some huge omissions and what appear to be early arrivals. The list was greatly cleaned up of old decommits etc. Luke Reid and Carsen Richels appear to be not coming???? The 11 mentions, had some earlier than previously projected kids coming. On D - Pennet, Gagne and Ardanez. Forwards included - Evans, Cronin, Curran, Sacco, Bakos, Ring, Margel and Devlin.
                  i know this is not the definitive list but wow sme big loses and changes. Did I read it wrong? CHC or Watcher, tell me I skrewed up somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Speaking of the 2020/21 roster, noticed some potentially troubling news poking around today. On Heisenberg's site that lists incoming projections there were some huge omissions and what appear to be early arrivals. The list was greatly cleaned up of old decommits etc. Luke Reid and Carsen Richels appear to be not coming???? The 11 mentions, had some earlier than previously projected kids coming. On D - Pennet, Gagne and Ardanez. Forwards included - Evans, Cronin, Curran, Sacco, Bakos, Ring, Margel and Devlin.
                    i know this is not the definitive list but wow sme big loses and changes. Did I read it wrong? CHC or Watcher, tell me I skrewed up somehow.
                    If you're looking at Heisenberg's 2021 spreadsheet, that's for the 2021-22 season. As in, he's already removed those recruits he believes are matriculating for the 2020-21 season. That's why you wouldn't see names from your 2020 incoming class.

Comment

i was hoping it was my issue. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        Hi ATW. I believe the incoming freshmen for the 2020-21 season will be as follows:
                        Defensemen:
                        Luke Reid
                        Joe Nagle
                        Nikolai Jenson
                        Forwards:
                        Carsen Richels
                        Cam Gendron
                        Nicholas Cafarelli
                        Connor Sweeney
                        Goalie:
                        Jeremy Forman
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                          No, I did not say anything to you that warranted an apology, but others on the forum did! They do owe you an apology, but I have not seen it yet.
                          Thanks for clarifying, Ray. To be clear, I think most (not all) on here have been respectful and courteous with their good-faith disagreements on some topics, but yeah - there were a few notable exceptions, and their silence has been deafening. Ironically, they're usually among the first self-righteous ideologues demanding apologies when folks who disagree with them screw up. "Apologies from thee, but not from me" might describe it, eh?

Kind of a microcosm of the social media scolds and SJW's out there in the world. I'm not looking for apologies - getting back to the same old, same old would suffice, and make for a nice change.

Comment

What about Quinnipiac for the 12th HE team. Bentley has a nice rink but it's a nightmare to get to for a 7pm puck drop on a Friday night. I think you have to leave at noon in order to avoid rush hour traffic. Quinnipiac has a great rink.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post

Hey, all high and mighty, Ray Dorn. I do not think that I owe Chuck or anyone else here any apologies. However, Chuck does owe me several beers at Libby's for my wins in his trivia contests. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Thanks for clarifying, Ray. To be clear, I think most (not all) on here have been respectful and courteous with their good-faith disagreements on some topics, but yeah - there were a few notable exceptions, and their silence has been deafening. Ironically, they're usually among the first self-righteous ideologues demanding apologies when folks who disagree with them screw up. "Apologies from thee, but not from me" might describe it, eh?

Kind of a microcosm of the social media scolds and SJW's out there in the world. I'm not looking for apologies - getting back to the same old, same old would suffice, and make for a nice change.
                                Lol, youre revisionist views of your own behavior and your own ever changing ideas never cease to amaze me. If you’re waiting for an apology from me you better get comfortable. I don’t engage in the conversation with you any longer because you are simply not worth engaging with. You are disingenuous and have never been interested in honest conversation On political issues - not matter how hard you try to convince yourself of the opposite. I wouldn’t assume anything from my silence on the topic in this thread unless you want me to make assumptions on your deafening silence and absence in the many threads still actually dedicated to this topic...

You went from COVID is nothing, to COvID in the US will never approach Italy levels to COVID will never approach bad flu levels to death happens (but economy) in a matter of weeks and you still can’t resist taking a victory lap after 100000 deaths in three months (despite necessary and massive implementations and active under counting). Youre new herd immunity take is nice, how many more hundreds of thousands did you want to sacrifice to move past this on Chuck Murray’s time frame and Chuck Murray’s time frame alone?

You’re takes have proven off base again and again, but I guess you can’t be ‘wrong’ if you continue to move the goal posts and never have any conviction or consistency in your takes. I haven’t felt the need to rejoin the conversation because my stance remains the same - this is a serious issue and preventable deaths should be prevented - and can be prevented with measures that also allow for economic protection. If you feel the need to speak on this regularly to announce that your opinion and reasoning has changed - once again - that is your prerogative but it no longer interests me...

Congrats on baiting me - now lecture me on how immature I am for responding to your immature bait...
                                Last edited by Dan; 06-04-2020, 12:49 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X