Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    'Watcher, thanks for sharing. Loved this, for so many reasons. I was still in HS when this game was played, and still early into my time as a college hockey fan. This 1978 BU team lost what, one or two games all season long? That solidified BU as my "second team" as long as Jack Parker was coaching them. And as great as Joey Mullen was as a D-1 college player, you can see from the outset that Parker simply decided he was going to blanket Mullen everywhere, and force someone else to beat him (they didn't). And for all of the fawning praise for BC goalie Paul Skidmore - who did play well in this one - it would be BU's Jim Craig who two years later became a household name after the '80 Lake Placid Olympics. I vividly remember going to see these two teams clash in the 1979 Beanpot at the original Garden, and how that place was rocking. And a month or so later, UNH beat Dartmouth there for their first (and only) ECAC title - which IIRC UNH currently denotes on their Hockey East titles banner. Those two seasons, coming right before I headed off for school myself, really solidified my lifelong fascination with the college game.

A few random items of interest:

* The play by play guy (John Carlson) I recognized as the guy who did some of the early Whalers' games, and I think he also did some Patriots and college games before and after those days. Billy Cleary did the color, and there is a brief interview of Ron Mason (then with Bowling Green) looking very '70's. Gotta think his future son-in-law (some guy named Walshy?) was in the house, too;

* Carlson gives Channel 11 a name check at some point, and also mentions how Bobby Miller's younger brother was playing for BU (even then, UNH struggled with legacies?), which had narrowly beaten UNH in the first round of the tourney. One of the guys then tells the tale of Bobby Miller leaving UNH with no guarantee to make the B's, forfeiting eligibility to return to NCAA play, etc.;

* BU brought back most of its team the next season, and didn't even come close to having the same amount of success. Only Dick Lamby - as fantastic as an all-around defenseman as he was - left the team to graduation, other that depth guys here and there. They should have been dominant. But as noted earlier, several of those guys would make up for it on a bigger stage in '80;

* Mark Fidler … wow, where to begin. BU's frosh dynamo, whose older brother Mike was already in the NHL, scored his 29th and 30th goals of the season in this one. The sky seemed to be the limit … but as someone who grew up barely 5 miles away from where he did, and who had an older cousin who went to HS with him at Matignon, the on-ice and off-ice tales even back then pre-Internet and pre-social media were legendary. Unfortunately, the off-ice stuff eventually caught up with him, and while he was a great four year player for BU, he was never as great again as he was in his frosh season.

I know this isn't the BU thread, but this was an interesting read from Fidler's perspective on '78 ...

https://terrierhockey2.blogspot.com/...rk-fidler.html
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Chuck, good call on Flinton. I took a lot of crap from my friends back then for supporting him but I think in his senior year he was second team All American. And I forgot about Poturalski. And I just remember the Mayor. See . . . this was all from the top of my head.
      Ah, the Mayor. Sure wish he had stuck around. Leaving early didn’t really work out. And what about McFlikier? Loved his wheels!
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Fantastic post, Greg. Agree 100% with your closing thought (rink size) as well.

My '70's UNH fandom was mostly remote via snowy Channel 11 TV coverage from your neck of the woods Greg, but Cap Raeder was THE MAN in my earliest days, and then Bob Gould won the ECAC title in my first in-person game (#17 @ 17:17) to cement my lifelong UNH fandom.

Also reminded me of how poorly the 1980's were for the program. Probably a fair comparison on whether the '80's team you've listed would have gotten the better of the '10's team we just completed. And just to shock those who think I don't like them, I'd put DeSmith on the list for that team in place of TvR, and Poturalski on the "tough to leave off" list for that team.

I've always been a HUGE Joe Flanagan fam from back in the early days of the Umile Era. Eric Flinton might be another "close call" from that era.

I know you qualified it as "very tough", but ultimately Steve Saviano needs to be on that list instead of JvR, if for no other reason than he was a great big game player, and instrumental in two HE Tourney titles and the last two UNH trips to the FF. JvR was a two year guy, and UNH won nothing. If you're going to give Gionta the nod over Drury for winning, you gotta give it to Saviano.

Just as a side note on my selection of BC's Joey Mullen … until I saw guys like Kariya and St. Louis in the mid''90's, I always felt Mullen was the most talented college hockey player I'd ever seen. After college, he went on to score over 500 goals, 1,000 points (just eking out both St. Louis and Kariya BTW) and also won Cups with Calgary and Pittsburgh. I suspect some locals don't rate Mullen higher because he played a mediocre year with the B's late in his career. But at BC, he took his '78 team to the FF Finals against a loaded BU team, when BC's talent level wasn't even close to who Jack Parker had skating for the Terriers that season (Craig, Silk, Bethel, Fidler, O'Callahan, Lamby, etc.). For a guy who learned hockey playing the roller hockey variety while growing up in a very urban part of NYC, Mullen was a great (if somewhat forgotten) player.

Nice to be back to talking hockey.
        Cap Raeder? Did you write Cap Raeder?

What did Robbie Ftorek say to his sophomore goalie Cap when their Needham Rebels fell behind Mike Milbury's Walpole team 3--1 with less than 2 minutes remaining in the 1970 Mass schoolboy championship game?

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

- I became a UNH Hockey fan during 1967-68 and had the opportunity to watch defenseman Graham Bruder.
          - I found out much later that Scotty Bowman had recruited 15 year old Bruder to play for Montreal's Junior Team, the Lachine Maroons. Also on that team was Jacques Lamaire.
          - Rube Bjorkman offered defenseman Graham Bruder a full scholarship, as did Michigan Tech. Apparently Graham wanted to be involved with building a team.
          - He certainly helped accomplish that .... as he was instrumental in helping UNH transition to Division I.
          - He was Team Captain for two years
          - He was a Team MVP
          - He had a hat trick in his final game.
          - He graduated in 1969

((Some information is from Seacoast Online 8/3/07))

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post
            Greg, you have viewed most of the top UNH scorers so you have a great perspective. I wouldnt place Eric very close to the top, but Bogey is probably my all time favorite Wildcat. An incredible mixture of talent, results, feistiness, leadership, spunk, **** off bigger players and able to do it with a wry smile. The good Cats played in the Governors Cup against Vermont in 96 (St Louis, Perrin, Tim Thomas in net) where I was sitting low on the far end behind Thomas, a great closeup view of the net front. A high scoring back and forth affair that UNH eventually took 8-6. I believe UVM jumped out to a couple goal lead, UNH stormed back with a big 2nd period to take the lead and UVM came back to go ahead. The Gut was rocking for sure.

Cant remember if Bogey got the game winner or the final, but it occurred after quite a flurry of action around Thomas and some scraps along the boards. UNH corralled the puck on the boards and cant remember who flung it over to a WIDE OPEN Bogey about 8-10 feet in front of the net. He was so open that he was able to pretty much pause, collect himself, get this huge *** grin on his face, and then wind up into a FULL, point blank slapshot. Went right along the ice and past Thomas who barely moved. All the while, the smile never left his face, he skated over to the end glass in front of the student section and non-verbally said - "F Off, time to leave people!".
            I have a lot memories of that weekend. The first is that was Sean Matile's first game for the UNH, taking over for Brian LaRochelle, who had led them to 10 or 11 straight wins if I am not mistaken. Anyway, it was pretty much a give than the rest of the way it was going to be Matile's team. Vermont was loaded of course, with St. Louis, Perrin and the rest. The place was rockin' and UVM came out all guns blazing. But Matile was awesome. I think he gave up two or three goals that period but he made 18 or 19 saves. Unbelievable performance. UNH then rolled over Maine to take the final. I think it was Mowers who got the winner because he was MVP of the tournament. Near the end of the game, these two Maine fans sitting in front of us started with this crap that "UNH finally won something," or words to that effect. So I told one of them, "at least we didn't have to cheat to do it." That shut him up. Later on we were back at the Sheraton and who walks into the bar but the same guy. He walked right by me and didn't say a word. Of course, two years later he had the last laugh but it was a pleasurable moment.
            Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 04-20-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Cap Raeder? Did you write Cap Raeder?

What did Robbie Ftorek say to his sophomore goalie Cap when their Needham Rebels fell behind Mike Milbury's Walpole team 3--1 with less than 2 minutes remaining in the 1970 Mass schoolboy championship game?
              Something like, "Don't worry kid, I've got it covered." Ftorek was the greatest Mass High School player I ever saw. What a wizard with the puck. Second in my book was Bobby Carpenter, "The Can't Miss Kid." I saw him the EMass Semi-finals at the Garden vs. Matignon, I think his junior year at St. John's Prep. They were down 3-1 with just over three minutes to go, and shorthanded to boot. He scored two goals and the Prep won it in OT. Just an unbelievable player. Scott Borek was on that Prep team, played defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                Something like, "Don't worry kid, I've got it covered." Ftorek was the greatest Mass High School player I ever saw. What a wizard with the puck. Second in my book was Bobby Carpenter, "The Can't Miss Kid." I saw him the EMass Semi-finals at the Garden vs. Matignon, I think his junior year at St. John's Prep. They were down 3-1 with just over three minutes to go, and shorthanded to boot. He scored two goals and the Prep won it in OT. Just an unbelievable player. Scott Borek was on that Prep team, played defense.
                Greg (and others) I have enjoyed reading your great post about past UNH players...hope all are well.
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Close, Greg. Robbie skated up to Cap, poked him hard in the chest, and yelled "How many do you want?" Cap replied "How about two?" And, then Robbie and his teammates scored four goals, including an ENG, in the final 53 seconds for the 5-3 win. All of this happened after clearing the ice of the Walpole players who were celebrating prematurely when they went up 3-1.
                  Last edited by Snively65; 04-20-2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Wasn't this an awesome game tho:

Comment

• Yet, our Cats still came in ninth, and out of the post-season, had there been a post-season. . :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                        - I became a UNH Hockey fan during 1967-68 and had the opportunity to watch defenseman Graham Bruder.
                        - I found out much later that Scotty Bowman had recruited 15 year old Bruder to play for Montreal's Junior Team, the Lachine Maroons. Also on that team was Jacques Lamaire.
                        - Rube Bjorkman offered defenseman Graham Bruder a full scholarship, as did Michigan Tech. Apparently Graham wanted to be involved with building a team.
                        - He certainly helped accomplish that .... as he was instrumental in helping UNH transition to Division I.
                        - He was a Team MVP
                        - He graduated in 1969

Yup, Graham Bruder right at the top of my "five tough to leave out," along with Mike Ontkean (of Slap Shot fame), Dave O'Connor (later longtime assistant coach with Charlie Holt), Mickey Goulet, and Rick Metzger.

How about Rube Bjorkman's first class of recruits, who played on the freshman team in Rube's first season of 1965/66: Bob Brandt, Rich David, Dick Walsh, Mickey Goulet, Graham Bruser, Dave Sheen, Rick Metzger, and Mike Ontkean.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 04-20-2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Yet, our Cats still came in ninth, and out of the post-season, had there been a post-season. . :-(
                          well aware...but, we had some great moments esp. for those of us who went to most of the games. This was one of them. With all the negative out there, need some positives! Definitely was disappointing the post season deluded us..no way around that.

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Thanks Mike I hadn't seen this yet. I think we all could feel something like this happening and it is good to learn of their planning. Certainly hope that they consider running the season into April or May. College Baseball holds its World Series in June if I am remembering that correctly. All the more reason to fix our refrigeration problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
                                - He was a Team MVP
                                - He graduated in 1969

Here is an addendum to my earlier replies to sonar and ATW regarding the Rube Bjorkman HC years at UNH. Rube was recruited following the opening of Snively Arena on 13 February 1965. I have really cool black & white photos taken with my Brownie Instamatic during summer/fall 1964. In my earlier post, I referenced Rube's first freshmen class that he recruited even before he was officially HC. Those recruits were only allowed to play on the freshman team in 1965/66, when the UNH varsity went 11-12-0. The next three seasons, UNH went 18-7-0, 22-7-0, and 22-6-1 (hey, whassup wid dat tie, HR?). My guess is that looking back, Rube might have wished that he had not left for Nodak, where he had much less success, although a bigger stage coaching in the WCHA as opposed to ECAC-2. And, he returned to be much closer to home.

Trivia question. Most everyone here knows who scored the final goal in Snively Arena, and many who were present remember that goal slightly differently. But, who here was present for the first goal scored at Snively, and who scored it? Seems like yesterday to me. :-)
                                Last edited by Snively65; 04-22-2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X