UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Max Gildon made his professional debut in Bakersfield tonight - seen below making a big hit behind the net, being challenged, then dropping the gloves and winning his first career fight...

https://***********/Condors/status/1...836278785?s=20

He finished +2 in a 6-0 Condors win.
    All that Max needed in addition for a Gordie Howe hat trick was a goal and an assist. :-)

Comment

Max Gildon made his professional debut in Bakersfield tonight - seen below making a big hit behind the net, being challenged, then dropping the gloves and winning his first career fight...

https://***********/Condors/status/1...836278785?s=20

He finished +2 in a 6-0 Condors win.
      Dan, do you know if Gildon is still with the Florida organization?

Looks like he's moved from Syracuse to Bakersfield recently - I know the situation in the AHL is pretty fluid this season - but Syracuse is primarily a Tampa Bay affiliate, while Bakersfield is primarily an Edmonton affiliate. Ii think Florida's primary affiliate this season is in Charlotte?

Good to see him getting started at the AHL level, though. That hasn't been a given for most recent UNH Hockey grads.

Also, I noticed that younger brother Michael - who was subject of "Why didn't he follow Max to UNH?" discussion a couple of years ago, when he was skating with the USNDT program - has yet to score his first NCAA D-1 goal as a sophomore left wing at Ohio State. Maybe UNH didn't miss out after all??
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Dan, do you know if Gildon is still with the Florida organization?
        Yes, Gildon is still with Florida - and based on what I've read they're still very excited about his prospects. The situation with Syracuse was tough, two rival teams (from a location standpoint, at least) sharing a development system stocked with young TB defenseman.

The Crunch had double digit defensemen on their roster, while Bakersfield had just six prior to receiving Gildon on loan (and adding a KHLer) - so he should be able to play consistently with the Condors, as opposed to sharing FLA reps on TB's affiliate in Syracuse. He is one of just two defensive 'prospects' on the team (under 24), so I'm sure they have general assurances for ice time...

As I understand it, the Canadian NHL teams with American affiliates have their active NHL rosters, along with taxi squads that remain in Canada (full of the AHLers ready to contribute, and who won't be subject to border crossing protocol, if needed) and then their affiliates in the States. So Bakersfield needed bodies and FLA wanted Gildon to pay every night; it should be a good fit for him...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Also, I noticed that younger brother Michael - who was subject of "Why didn't he follow Max to UNH?" discussion a couple of years ago, when he was skating with the USNDT program - has yet to score his first NCAA D-1 goal as a sophomore left wing at Ohio State. Maybe UNH didn't miss out after all??
          Michael is not the offense first, creator of offense type of forward that UNH needs. I don't think he'd make this UNH team notably better - but he'd be a great fit on the UNH team's of the 90's and early 00's.

Now, West Lebanon, NH, native Tate Singleton (OSU) is the type of goal scorer the Wildcats could use. Not to mention Bedford's Alex Steeves (ND) or Ben Steeves (UMD) or New Hampton offensive defenseman Michael Kesselring (NU) or...while, i've got somewhere to be...

Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

• Speaking of NH born players - here is your next potential legacy recruit...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/675929/kaden-muir
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Interesting announcements of UNH seniors.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Interesting announcements of UNH seniors.
                You're assuming they are done with announcements - and that those announced are leaving, while those unannounced are returning??
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

You're assuming they are done with announcements - and that those announced are leaving, while those unannounced are returning??
                  reverse alpha order, so far. With Maass and Kelleher omitted. Just a theory, and Kelleher makes sense.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• COVID ends Merrimack's seasoon, including the playoffs:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Following.php

UNH can't finish any higher or lower than 9th. So, do the top 6 teams get a bye, with matchups next week with #7 UML vs #10 UVM and #8 Maine vs #9 UNH?
                    UNH

Comment

reverse alpha order, so far. With Maass and Kelleher omitted. Just a theory, and Kelleher makes sense.
                      Link please?

Sitting on pins & needles, wondering if there will be a record 6th UNH season for Patrick Grasso ...

Comment

Link please?

Sitting on pins & needles, wondering if there will be a record 6th UNH season for Patrick Grasso ...
                        Really guys? Thanks for sharing.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Grasso back for Year 6? 100 points, here we come!!

Maybe Marty decided that they would do another 3 year transition plan, this one to the next 100 point forward. Has worked well so far with the original one. :-)

Comment

The suspense is killing me. OK, maybe not "killing" me, but ...

... so reduced to reading between the lines, I have to assume that Sato, Robinson and MacAdams will be leaving after this season, and we're still waiting to hear on Maass, Kelleher and Grasso?

Comment

The suspense is killing me. OK, maybe not "killing" me, but ...

... so reduced to reading between the lines, I have to assume that Sato, Robinson and MacAdams will be leaving after this season, and we're still waiting to hear on Maass, Kelleher and Grasso?
                              They have been sending out tweets congratulating seniors. Presumably, scheduled for Thursday's last regular season game (Senior day).
                              They started with Sato, then Robinson, then MacAdams and finally Grasso. I suppose they could add more shout outs before the playoff game. My reading -- supported by my belief that Kelleher is a natural to return after his banged up limited senior year -- is that maybe they are only sending off the guys leaving, which would leave out Kelleher and Maass.

UNH Men's Hockey
                              @UNHMHOCKEY
                              ·
                              Mar 1
                              With the final week of the regular season upon us, we would like to thank our seniors for their dedication & commitment! Kohei Sato has played in 102 games (10 g, 18 a, 28 pts) Honors: 2-time All-Academic, Most Improved Player & Nate Hardy Ironman Award. Thank you Kohei!

UNH Men's Hockey
                              @UNHMHOCKEY
                              ·
                              Mar 2
                              Our next senior is Mike Robinson from Bedford, N.H. Mike has played in 83 games (1,985 career saves) Honors: Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week, Hockey East Player of the Week Thank you Mike!!

UNH Men's Hockey
                              @UNHMHOCKEY
                              ·
                              Mar 3
                              Our next senior is Eric MacAdams from Salem, Mass. Eric has played in 108 games (17 g, 22 a, 39 pts) Honors: 2019-2020 Robert A. Kullen Unsung Player Award for his consistent dedication and hard work, 2020-2021 Assistant Captain Thank you Eric!!

UNH Men's Hockey
                              @UNHMHOCKEY
                              ·
                              14h
                              Our next senior is Patrick Grasso from Ankeny, Iowa. Patrick has played in 136 games (49 g, 48a, 97 pts) Honors: Hockey East All-Rookie Team, 2x National College Athlete Honor Society, 2x Assistant Captain Thank you Patrick!!
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• It's a good theory, if congratulations don't come in for Maass or Kelleher in the next few days - it probably is a sign they plan to return.

It will be interesting to see what comes from the seniors who are moving on, the only one with a clear path to professional hockey is Robinson. I wonder if the others will try that route, move on from hockey or enter the transfer portal and try to play a year somewhere else with their extra eligibility. I've always thought the later would be a good route for Grasso, sixth year or otherwise...
                                Last edited by Dan; 03-05-2021, 10:35 AM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X