This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

Souza made similar comments in Adam Wodon's story last week.

I think they could use a week off.
    Well, it looks like they will indeed get that week off:

http://hockeyeastonline.com/articles...ebruary-23.php
    UNH

Comment

• Jason Krog: UNH years were best of hockey journey and NCAA title loss still hurts
      https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...ts/4559597001/
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Bruins blasting the Flyers in Tahoe, 7-3, but no fault of JVR who has a goal and two assists, and now boasts 502 career points...
        Another goal last night and leads the Flyers in points this season, I think? I find myself paying more attention to him this season than the current Cats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Another goal last night and leads the Flyers in points this season, I think? I find myself paying more attention to him this season than the current Cats.
          JvR has never made an NHL All-Star team. Never. Not even once.

Yet.

But this may be his year, the Flyers' perennial All-Star Claude Giroux has only one (1) goal to his credit so far this season, so unless he goes off on one of his usual tears pretty soon, JvR is likely positioned to be Philly's top (even lone) designee this s- ...

... oh, wait. No All-Star game this season. Talk about buzzard's luck ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

I think its awesome the season AND career JvR is having! Guy has 500 plus points...has been an Olympian...makes a cool 4 mil ? a year...I mean sorry I don't know the stories of other UNH'ers in the show but I'd say he's done pretty darn well!
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• JVR has also played in more outside NHL games than anyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                Jason Krog: UNH years were best of hockey journey and NCAA title loss still hurts
                https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...ts/4559597001/
                Hit the link, but they wanted me to subscribe in order to read it... Fat chance!

I'm guessing that Jason was referring to the '99 game. What a terrifying team UNH had that year.

(Or maybe it was right around that time when they were hammered by Minnesota in the Final? Been a while...)

In either case, UHN was scary-good in that era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Hit the link, but they wanted me to subscribe in order to read it... Fat chance!

I'm guessing that Jason was referring to the '99 game. What a terrifying team UNH had that year.

(Or maybe it was right around that time when they were hammered by Minnesota in the Final? Been a while...)

In either case, UHN was scary-good in that era.
                  Krog's teams got hammered by Michigan in the '98 semis, and lost in OT to Walshy in '99.

Kroggie wasn't there for the '02 semis hammering by UMaine, or the '03 Finals loss to the Gophs.

Us UNH old-timers have snap-action recall on the details of the various tragic losses.

+++++++++++++++

So ... this weekend, I was chatting with our eldest daughter, who is now married, has a kid, and lives in the town next door to Effingwoods. Some of the really old-timers on this board may vaguely remember her as my tag-along for home & road games back in the day. Had Friends membership so she could get autographs, and her all-time favorite was Darren Haydar, but long and short was, she really loved the program, and it was a big part in her eventual decision to get her undergrad and graduate degrees from UNH, which have served her well in the real world.

She is now 31 years old (if that makes you feel old, imagine how it makes me feel?). She continues to follow the program, but not as voraciously as she used to when she was a kid, and that's understandable, 'cuz life brings its changes. But to show just how poorly UNH Athletics (in general) and UNH Hockey (in particular) has done in keeping itself relevant in the world to folks who actually want to AND should know what's going on ... her comment to me was "So, what are you doing this winter without UNH Hockey? The Red Wings aren't doing well, that must be rough."

Imagine her surprise when I told her UNH Hockey and Hockey East were actually "things" this season (she's probably been to at least a dozen HEA Tourneys in Boston with me). She knew that an NHL team located on the edge of our time zone, and playing in a different division from the more local teams, one she casually followed back in the day because I - not her - was a voracious DRW fan, was actually playing (and not playing particularly well).

She did NOT know that a program she used to worship, where she went to the school for half a decade, follows the alumni events, and now lives literally two towns over from, was also actually playing.

There was still a 4 figure season tix waiting list when she matriculated, gone by graduation.

Sit back, and let that sink in ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Krog's teams got hammered by Michigan in the '98 semis, and lost in OT to Walshy in '99.

Kroggie wasn't there for the '02 semis hammering by UMaine, or the '03 Finals loss to the Gophs.

Us UNH old-timers have snap-action recall on the details of the various tragic losses.

+++++++++++++++

So ... this weekend, I was chatting with our eldest daughter, who is now married, has a kid, and lives in the town next door to Effingwoods. Some of the really old-timers on this board may vaguely remember her as my tag-along for home & road games back in the day. Had Friends membership so she could get autographs, and her all-time favorite was Darren Haydar, but long and short was, she really loved the program, and it was a big part in her eventual decision to get her undergrad and graduate degrees from UNH, which have served her well in the real world.

She is now 31 years old (if that makes you feel old, imagine how it makes me feel?). She continues to follow the program, but not as voraciously as she used to when she was a kid, and that's understandable, 'cuz life brings its changes. But to show just how poorly UNH Athletics (in general) and UNH Hockey (in particular) has done in keeping itself relevant in the world to folks who actually want to AND should know what's going on ... her comment to me was "So, what are you doing this winter without UNH Hockey? The Red Wings aren't doing well, that must be rough."

Imagine her surprise when I told her UNH Hockey and Hockey East were actually "things" this season (she's probably been to at least a dozen HEA Tourneys in Boston with me). She knew that an NHL team located on the edge of our time zone, and playing in a different division from the more local teams, one she casually followed back in the day because I - not her - was a voracious DRW fan, was actually playing (and not playing particularly well).

She did NOT know that a program she used to worship, where she went to the school for half a decade, follows the alumni events, and now lives literally two towns over from, was also actually playing.

There was still a 4 figure season tix waiting list when she matriculated, gone by graduation.

Sit back, and let that sink in ...
                    Yeah, I doubt there's very much, if any, advertising as such...things have been largely social media for me personally. Occasionally you see a story about who the 'Cats are playing on WMUR. Other than the typical social media outlets that cover them, that's about it. But hasn't that been an issue for awhile now; local coverage of the games etc?
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Yeah, I doubt there's very much, if any, advertising as such...things have been largely social media for me personally. Occasionally you see a story about who the 'Cats are playing on WMUR. Other than the typical social media outlets that cover them, that's about it. But hasn't that been an issue for awhile now; local coverage of the games etc?
                      Yup, it sure has. Dating back to when the Manchester Monarchs (RIP) strolled into town and immediately dubbed themselves the "Kings of NH Hockey" (yes they were a Kings' farm team, but ... ), and our stellar AD and his staff did absolutely nothing to compete for the support of the more distant but equally-loyal Rte. 93 corridor UNH fanbase - remember when UNH played their '94/'95 season on the road, mostly at JFK Arena in Manchester, waiting for The Whitt to be built? - the fall-off in support for the UNH Hockey program has been predictable, and can easily be pinned on just one (1) guy and his overall department.

In the private sector, the guy would have lost his job at least a decade ago, the day the wait list for season tickets dried up, and empty seats started to pop up where none had previously.

Instead, he's in the public sector, watched the program and its support dive to levels that would have been unthinkable even a few years after the turn of the century, when you could still have a serious discussion about expansion possibilities to add a second tier of seats in certain sections of The Whitt. Now, you talk like that, and the guys with the white coats and those jackets that only button up the back will be on the lookout for you ... ut's crazy how far UNH has fallen, both on and off the ice. MS7 has lived the extremes at both ends, and I'm sure the only reason he's not more vocal about the fall-off in support would be that the second he throws Blue Skies under the bus, Blue Skies will put MS7 on the Highway to McCloskeyville.

I suppose that's one of the reasons I've been so disappointed at the MS7 regime to date.

I've seen poor ownership lacking vision kill a successful baseball franchise in less than a generation, and now I'm seeing a repeat of the same thing with UNH Hockey. It's not fun, I'll tell you that much ...

Comment

MS7 has lived the extremes at both ends, and I'm sure the only reason he's not more vocal about the fall-off in support would be that the second he throws Blue Skies under the bus, Blue Skies will put MS7 on the Highway to McCloskeyville.

I suppose that's one of the reasons I've been so disappointed at the MS7 regime to date.

I've seen poor ownership lacking vision kill a successful baseball franchise in less than a generation, and now I'm seeing a repeat of the same thing with UNH Hockey. It's not fun, I'll tell you that much ...
                        I gotta hand it to you Charlie, that line about Soooza made me laugh so hard I just about fell off of the can! Good Gravy man, sometimes you come up with some real wing dingers!!

"Mahhty" pretty much screwed the pooch with his handling of UNH hockey, and the pooch is screwed for the foreseeable future I'm afraid. Assistant coaches can come in and leave in a revolving door fashion, but UNH head coaches don't seem to leave until they retire. Soooza's gotta young family, doesn't he?? He ain't going anywhere folks. And unless that there 'Carolina carpetbagger Prez decides that it's time to "re-organize", don't expect Mahhty to be leaving any time soon either. Lather, rinse, repeat for the forseeable future folks!!

Good news - I've got my Covid vaccine! No Chinese flu for me, thank the lord!!

But all of you other hooligans had better KEEP YOUR DANG MASKS ON!!! CHARLIE, THAT MEANS YOU!!! That old feller that was yelling at you last week at the Hannafords, yeah that was me you durn fool!! Criminy....if you're going to walk around the store carrying a six-pack of PBR, at least wear the dang mask to partially hide your and not embarrass yourself!!!
                        I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
                        AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

JvR has never made an NHL All-Star team. Never. Not even once.

Yet.

But this may be his year, the Flyers' perennial All-Star Claude Giroux has only one (1) goal to his credit so far this season, so unless he goes off on one of his usual tears pretty soon, JvR is likely positioned to be Philly's top (even lone) designee this s- ...

... oh, wait. No All-Star game this season. Talk about buzzard's luck ...
                          JvR may never make a NHL all star team, but if he stays healthy for three more seasons, he may surpass Langway in games played.
                          Last edited by Snively65; 03-02-2021, 07:25 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post

I gotta hand it to you Charlie, that line about Soooza made me laugh so hard I just about fell off of the can! Good Gravy man, sometimes you come up with some real wing dingers!!

"Mahhty" pretty much screwed the pooch with his handling of UNH hockey, and the pooch is screwed for the foreseeable future I'm afraid. Assistant coaches can come in and leave in a revolving door fashion, but UNH head coaches don't seem to leave until they retire. Soooza's gotta young family, doesn't he?? He ain't going anywhere folks. And unless that there 'Carolina carpetbagger Prez decides that it's time to "re-organize", don't expect Mahhty to be leaving any time soon either. Lather, rinse, repeat for the forseeable future folks!!

Good news - I've got my Covid vaccine! No Chinese flu for me, thank the lord!!

But all of you other hooligans had better KEEP YOUR DANG MASKS ON!!! CHARLIE, THAT MEANS YOU!!! That old feller that was yelling at you last week at the Hannafords, yeah that was me you durn fool!! Criminy....if you're going to walk around the store carrying a six-pack of PBR, at least wear the dang mask to partially hide your and not embarrass yourself!!!
                            Now I know why the wife prefers to drag me along to Market Basket these days ...

Comment

Yup, it sure has. Dating back to when the Manchester Monarchs (RIP) strolled into town and immediately dubbed themselves the "Kings of NH Hockey" (yes they were a Kings' farm team, but ... ), and our stellar AD and his staff did absolutely nothing to compete for the support of the more distant but equally-loyal Rte. 93 corridor UNH fanbase - remember when UNH played their '94/'95 season on the road, mostly at JFK Arena in Manchester, waiting for The Whitt to be built? - the fall-off in support for the UNH Hockey program has been predictable, and can easily be pinned on just one (1) guy and his overall department.

In the private sector, the guy would have lost his job at least a decade ago, the day the wait list for season tickets dried up, and empty seats started to pop up where none had previously.

Instead, he's in the public sector, watched the program and its support dive to levels that would have been unthinkable even a few years after the turn of the century, when you could still have a serious discussion about expansion possibilities to add a second tier of seats in certain sections of The Whitt. Now, you talk like that, and the guys with the white coats and those jackets that only button up the back will be on the lookout for you ... ut's crazy how far UNH has fallen, both on and off the ice. MS7 has lived the extremes at both ends, and I'm sure the only reason he's not more vocal about the fall-off in support would be that the second he throws Blue Skies under the bus, Blue Skies will put MS7 on the Highway to McCloskeyville.

Glad we moved away when we did. Cats hockey was so much fun to watch when I was in school (early 70s; not really contenders but exciting to watch) and then when we moved back to the area (the Krog years being the highlight). The AD has to take the blame for the precipitous fall; except no one — except the few fans left — seems to care.

Comment

• Originally posted by phb View Post
                                The AD has to take the blame for the precipitous fall; except no one — except the few fans left — seems to care.
                                He certainly seems a master of selling his awful record. I guess fleecing a librarian out of a million counts for more than competent management of that million once on the books.

The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X