No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    I know Lynn Smith a bit and I can’t imagine how devastating it is to lose both your husband and your daughter, both at early ages.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Darius, since Chuck called me out on this forum, I will respond here. First Chuck, it's pretty rich for a guy like you, one with close to 14,000 posts (at least under your own name) to refer to my posting as a "hobby." You seem to puffing out your feathers by telling us all that you are still working. Must be a taxing job if you have all this time to compose screeds which attempt to diminish the expertise of climate scientists and epidemiologists.
      The "hobby" I was referring to, Greg, was the retired woke spokesperson role. I thought that was clear.

As for attempting to diminish my work life (and I actually worked), I spent over 40 years as an insurance agent, the last 30 years or so as the owner. I worked my butt off, most of the time working 45-50 hours a week. In all that time I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of two week vacations I took - honeymoon, two trips to Ireland, and a trip to Australia. The rest of the time a week on a lake in Moultonborough with my wife's family. That and maybe a couple of weekends watching UNH play hockey. As for golf, I played maybe five times a summer in charity tournaments or insurance outings, that's it. In retirement, I am a member of the exclusive Gannon Golf Club, the municipal course in the tony suburb of Lynn, Massachusetts. And I am writing this from my home office in Lynn, certainly not Florida which has one redeeming feature, warmth in the winter.
      No one is/was "diminishing your career", Greg. Again, as you know, I work in a related field, why would my criticism ever be aimed at that (ditto the weird "hobby" translation you came up with above)? My comments were specifically aimed at your caustic comment about how folks should "just stay home", considering that your lecturing of others in more demanding circumstances is quite easy for someone who's already (deservedly) retired. As you point out - and as I can similarly relate - finding time to take off when in the midst of a busy, demanding career is not easy in the best of circumstances. It gets even more challenging when others tell you that "you can't work, that's stupid" … yet without that work, you can't provide for your family, survive, etc. That's my point.

[B]As for being "woke", I've been so since I was 15 when I watched Bull Connor's cops hose down the black picketers on the streets of Birmingham and read of the four back girls killed in the church bombing. As an aside, I had a long time client who grew up with one of those girls. He is the same age as me and he said that from that day on his goal was to get out of Birmingham and never go back. I grew up in Republican family and have always been the black sheep. Even my two sisters are Republican. We never, ever talk politics in the interest of family harmony.
      No one was questioning your motives or your sincerity, Greg. I'll even allow you some virtue signaling here, since I admittedly did put you on the spot. I WAS questioning your harsh, caustic criticism of some folks who would probably lose jobs, careers or businesses by "just staying home". It's a big ask and a big sacrifice for some. I'm sure when you were working those long days, you were doing so not to get rich, but because you had to - to provide for your family, to be there for your customers in times of need, and to keep your business going so you and your employees could live your lives and pay your bills, etc. I know you well enough to know you're an honest hard-working guy who doesn't live a fancy life. It's also why I felt your comments were a bit tone-deaf.

Someone close to me works for a thriving small business which runs regular athletic events, and also has a retail branch, where this person is in charge. That's a job this person has had since graduation, and back to the day their retail location opened a few years ago. Overall, up until recently, the business - a prominent one in its field, the biggest of its kind in our state - had no issues with cash flow. But with large scale and medium scale athletic events now on ice, that's wiped out 80% of their revenue. This person has been running the retail location as the sole source of that organization's cash flow, and obviously, even that has been greatly reduced. Working 7 days a week, just to keep maybe 10% of the company's regular cash flow coming in … and the solution, if we listen to the "just stay home, no matter what" crowd, is that a thriving NH small business with dozens of full-time employees is financially wiped out in the space of a month. Lost events can't get replaced when stepping on other existing events so that's revenue lost to the wind, forever. And filling those events gets tougher with no cash on hand, and other employees not on the payroll due to having to seek other employment.

It's an incredibly tough situation, and it's a specific example of why "just stay home" sounds easier for many than it actually is. Folks who are in public sector employment or fortunate enough to be retired, that doesn't make you wrong (heck, I was hoping to be retired in a few years until the events of the last few weeks, I'd love to join you on the links at Gannon), it just means we are all looking at very different situations. I know I've wandered into some untenable positions on here over the years, so I'm not saying I haven't been tone-deaf myself - in the past, maybe even recently. If your comments hit a nerve, my example above gives some insight into why. I wish you and yours nothing but the best, Greg.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        My comments were specifically aimed at your caustic comment about how folks should "just stay home", considering that your lecturing of others in more demanding circumstances is quite easy for someone who's already (deservedly) retired. As you point out - and as I can similarly relate - finding time to take off when in the midst of a busy, demanding career is not easy in the best of circumstances. It gets even more challenging when others tell you that "you can't work, that's stupid" … yet without that work, you can't provide for your family, survive, etc. That's my point.
        First, I didn't say "that you can't work stupid." But I will say that "in the interest of the public health, all non-essential businesses should shut their doors. Those who can work at home should do so." We talked to my daughter last night. She lives in Ithaca, NY and works for a mid-size firm that sells fitness equipment to colleges, universities, condo complexes and the like. Last week Governor Cuomo first announced that businesses like hers should cut on premises employees by 50%. The next morning it was 75% and by the end of the day it was 100%. So she's working at home for the foreseeable future. It's a bit isolating she says but she is sticking to her routine, getting up, breakfast, dressed for work, ready to attack the day at 8:30, 45 minutes for lunch, a workout at the end of the day. She chats with her friends, all of whom are in the same predicament, in order to keep sane. She asked me what I would have done if I were in the same situation when I was working. I guess I would have brought my business home. I would have had electronic access to my files, the company websites, etc., but I would guess that producing new business or handling claims expeditiously would have ground to a halt in short order. It would have been frustrating, but I would have known it was all for the greater good. Yesterday Trump proclaimed, contrary to the opinion of everybody in the medical field and just about everybody in economics, that "we would be open by Easter," or two weeks from Sunday. Unrealistic and, more importantly, a dangerous prediction. And, on top of that, he has chosen do nothing under the Emergency War Powers Act that would require manufacturers in this country to drop every thing and produce the ventilators and testing equipment that hospitals desperately need. If we are at war against this virus, just as we were at war over 75 years ago against the Germans and the Japanese, when manufacturers contributed everything to he war effort, why won't he act? Thankfully the Congress reached a compromise (that is supposed to be the way government works, btw) yesterday on a massive aid bill that help people all across the country, hopefully including your friend. Btw, the vast majority of my commercial clients were small business, mom and pop stores and restaurant, small shops and the like. I feel for them, I really do. They are taking a real hit (and I think I would have as well) but the bottom line is that it is for the common good.

Comment

Thanks Wisconsin for lending him to us for three years. He was our most important player by a wide margin. Thanks for taking a chance on us.
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-25-2020, 04:59 PM.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Thanks Wisconsin for lending him to us for three years. He was our most important player by a wide margin. Thanks for taking a chance on us.
            As the season went on I thought there was a chance he stuck it out his senior year seeing him getting paired up with Kalle Eriksson a lot in the second half. Then as I saw us loading up the defense at the end of the year I figured that I would see him signing before too long. Hopefully he does well as his career continues, I will be watching for sure to see how he does.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
              As the season went on I thought there was a chance he stuck it out his senior year seeing him getting paired up with Kalle Eriksson a lot in the second half. Then as I saw us loading up the defense at the end of the year I figured that I would see him signing before too long. Hopefully he does well as his career continues, I will be watching for sure to see how he does.
              Not a complete sirprise!
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  Good to hear!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Good to see Crookshank returning … and not a surprise to see Gildon leaving. Smart money was right.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Max Gildon signs with Florida Panthers

“We are very happy for Max,” said UNH head coach Mike Souza. “Max was able to develop here at UNH both on and off the ice and realized his ultimate-goal of signing an NHL contract. As a result of his efforts, the Florida Panthers are getting a prospect with unlimited potential.”
                      Last edited by C-H-C; 03-26-2020, 04:38 PM.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

“We are very happy for Max,” said UNH head coach Mike Souza. “Max was able to develop here at UNH both on and off the ice and realized his ultimate-goal of signing an NHL contract. As a result of his efforts, the Florida Panthers are getting a prospect with unlimited potential.”
                        Good luck Max!!! Wishing him well...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Pretty hot in Miami, ice cream melts fast..... Wish him luck if we ever get back to sports.

Comment

Anyone seen any heavy construction equipment outside the Whitt?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Anyone seen any heavy construction equipment outside the Whitt?
                              I was in Durham today and did a drive-by. The Whitt, much like the rest of the campus, is dead as a doornail.

I'm wondering if they are scaling back the project and just replacing the compressor only? Or maybe they just haven't started the project?
                              UNH

Comment

Going by the Whit is part of my daily run/walk .... stopped and looked through the glass doors. Dark inside - but thought I could see a few ghosts .... even a few that managed to sneak over from Snively.

Comment

Working...
                                X