Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Actually, your guys outshot our guys 37-29. Connor Murphy (NU backup goalie) kept them in it early on when UNH was pretty much having its way.
    SOG's are the most overrated stat in hockey. NU came out with jump early, never trailed after their SHG, fended off a lot of tame and non-threatening UNH chances, buried the fewer-but-better-quality chances they generated, and waltzed home to an easy win. This is what last weekend's BC game could have turned out to be, had Robinson not been on his game. Last night, Robinson wasn't as sharp as he's usually been this season, so UNH's mistakes proved costly, showing up on the scoreboard.

    I honestly never felt there was a point where UNH was "pretty much having its way" with NU ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      We have a game tonight? (sarcastically stated) Harrumph
      I had no idea until it was over. I ain't lying. Sign of the times.

      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

      Comment


      • If a UNH hockey game falls in the woods ............ :-)

        Could I make a suggestion to the UNH Admin and Board of Trustees? Have them send this question over to the Paul Business School as a class case study, and hopefully they would be interested in acting when they see the results. Maybe CC the Analytics Dept on the email as well? Doesn't cost extra. :-)

        What are the economic benefits (locally, regionally, nationally, enrollment figures) to the University of having a strong hockey presence?

        There are certainly a vast amount of figures and data points available at this stage between the glory days and the current apathy. I know that with corona, it is a different story, but simple math shows that 6501 fans @ $15 ea. is $ 97,500 per game (gate only) vs 4000 @ $15 being $60,000. Over 15 games, this is $562,500. Do you think that even 50% of this amount could be useful to the program and University? Goes a long way to buying plane tickets for recruiting trips to Toronto and British Columbia (purposely excluding the big expenses involved in getting to a GBL game).

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Whalers View Post
          If a UNH hockey game falls in the woods ............ :-)

          Could I make a suggestion to the UNH Admin and Board of Trustees? Have them send this question over to the Paul Business School as a class case study, and hopefully they would be interested in acting when they see the results. Maybe CC the Analytics Dept on the email as well? Doesn't cost extra. :-)

          What are the economic benefits (locally, regionally, nationally, enrollment figures) to the University of having a strong hockey presence?

          There are certainly a vast amount of figures and data points available at this stage between the glory days and the current apathy. I know that with corona, it is a different story, but simple math shows that 6501 fans @ $15 ea. is $ 97,500 per game (gate only) vs 4000 @ $15 being $60,000. Over 15 games, this is $562,500. Do you think that even 50% of this amount could be useful to the program and University? Goes a long way to buying plane tickets for recruiting trips to Toronto and British Columbia (purposely excluding the big expenses involved in getting to a GBL game).
          Unfortunately the current state of UNH Men's Hockey is the furthest thing from the current administration's mind. The results over the past several seasons makes that abundantly clear.
          GO BLUE!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
            Unfortunately the current state of UNH Men's Hockey is the furthest thing from the current administration's mind. The results over the past several seasons makes that abundantly clear.
            I remember moaning about how the program regressed - gradually but steadily - after their last trip to the '03 Buffalo FF, for about a decade. Since then, unfortunately, the slide has continued, and the pace has quickened. Bad combination. I want to be patient with MS7, and I'm sure given the circumstances of the current season, no decisions will be taken against him even if this season ends up following the same pattern as the preceding decade.

            The overall institutional apathy exhibited over the demise of UNH Hockey has been heartbreaking. Again, I want it to work for MS7 and his staff, I want it to work for Coach Umile, and I'm even hoping it works for their mutual boss. That's how much it means to me. But three years of transition, three more years post-transition, and we're not seeing any progress.

            I guess the only question is, how long will the guy who sanctioned this unique transition continue to dither in hopes this works out OR he can kick the can for the really hard decision - an admission this plan isn't going to work - far enough down the road for his successor to have to clean it up? And how many of us will still be around to enjoy the payoff when it finally arrives?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

              SOG's are the most overrated stat in hockey. NU came out with jump early, never trailed after their SHG, fended off a lot of tame and non-threatening UNH chances, buried the fewer-but-better-quality chances they generated, and waltzed home to an easy win. This is what last weekend's BC game could have turned out to be, had Robinson not been on his game. Last night, Robinson wasn't as sharp as he's usually been this season, so UNH's mistakes proved costly, showing up on the scoreboard.

              I honestly never felt there was a point where UNH was "pretty much having its way" with NU ...
              Agreed. The Cats TMM penalty in the last minute pretty much sealed the deal for the Fuskies.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Agreed. The Cats TMM penalty in the last minute pretty much sealed the deal for the Fuskies.
                Hey Snives - UNH is up to nine (9) games played, could/should be at 11 by the end of this weekend.

                I thought your "under" on the 12.5 Games Played over/under was solid. I'm as surprised as you are.

                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

                Comment


                • UNH busts out with three first period goals - including two on the power play.

                  That's the good news. UNH still trails 5-3 midway through the 3rd period.

                  Still no sign of Taylor, with Robinson piling up the minutes in goal ...
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

                  Comment


                  • Credit to UNH for forcing OT, but another OT loss in the end. Bummer ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      UNH busts out with three first period goals - including two on the power play.

                      That's the good news. UNH still trails 5-3 midway through the 3rd period.

                      Still no sign of Taylor, with Robinson piling up the minutes in goal ...
                      Taylor didn't exactly cover himself in glory the other night. Reminded me of Stidham replacing Newton.

                      That said I would be stunned if he doesn't start tomorrow. Robinson really piling up the minutes and it seems like its wearing on him.
                      Last edited by Felger; 01-15-2021, 05:54 PM.
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                      Comment


                      • Eight games in just over two weeks for Robinson, he clearly needs a night off if he's going to get back to form - and they need him back in form. Hard to ride just one goalie in a season like this...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

                        Comment


                        • Anyone know why Crookshank didn't play?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by msprice View Post
                            Anyone know why Crookshank didn't play?
                            Heard he left after his first shift...have to assume its injury? Agree with all that Robinson needs the night off...want to give them some kudos for coming back to get it to OT. No excuse but we don't play great on smaller surfaces and I'm going to to say that with 3 top forwards out, we at least put some points on the board. I see Jackson Pierson working very hard out there and getting rewarded for that work. Engaras is a great player and the new guys got alittle more experience. Hope Angus is ok and that the 'Cats put together a W for tomorrow.
                            Let's Go SouzaCats!

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                              I remember moaning about how the program regressed - gradually but steadily - after their last trip to the '03 Buffalo FF, for about a decade. Since then, unfortunately, the slide has continued, and the pace has quickened. Bad combination. I want to be patient with MS7, and I'm sure given the circumstances of the current season, no decisions will be taken against him even if this season ends up following the same pattern as the preceding decade.

                              The overall institutional apathy exhibited over the demise of UNH Hockey has been heartbreaking. Again, I want it to work for MS7 and his staff, I want it to work for Coach Umile, and I'm even hoping it works for their mutual boss. That's how much it means to me. But three years of transition, three more years post-transition, and we're not seeing any progress.

                              I guess the only question is, how long will the guy who sanctioned this unique transition continue to dither in hopes this works out OR he can kick the can for the really hard decision - an admission this plan isn't going to work - far enough down the road for his successor to have to clean it up? And how many of us will still be around to enjoy the payoff when it finally arrives?
                              What has really changed to improve the hockey program since 2003?
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                                Hey Snives - UNH is up to nine (9) games played, could/should be at 11 by the end of this weekend.

                                I thought your "under" on the 12.5 Games Played over/under was solid. I'm as surprised as you are.
                                Yup, I guess that the Ivies were just a bunch of fraidy cats, along with RPI and Union.

                                More seriously, I am happy that college hockey players are not losing an entire season, especially the seniors. And just like the regular students on campus up until Thanksgiving, the players are doing their best to avoid infection. I applaud them for that. But, on-campus avoidance of rampaging infections is going to be much more challenging during the second semester, I think.

                                Not sorry that I missed the game against the NU Fuskies, but sorry that I missed the game against the Yukon Fuskies, which sounded exciting despite the loss, with the score, SOG, and FOW being about as close as could be.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X