UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    You made the point before but UNH has been a problem for BC these last couple years!
    It's actually been longer than that, but not so much in recent years. Listening to the game on TV the other night, the BC crew touched briefly on the all-time BC vs. UNH record, and seemed genuinely surprised that it was relatively close (I think BC has won about 10 more games in the all-time series than UNH has?). But I specifically recall that well into the 2000's UNH had a (narrow) lead in the overall head-to-head series, and it's only been in recent years - the latter stages of the Umile Era mostly - where BC has moved ahead to where they stand now.

Of course, the bread-and-butter of the contest has always been postseason, and UNH hasn't won one of those since either the Snively Finale (Cedorchuck '94) or shortly before or after, early rounds against a departing Ceglarski or a rebuilding York. I honestly don't have that recall anymore, other than the '94 series, nor frankly does it matter a whole lot.

As a total aside to show where the two programs have gone in the last generation ... I recall one of BC's earliest trips to the brand-new Whittemore Center in the mid-'90's, where I went with an old BC work pal of mine, who was waxing lyrical over the fantastic future with Coach York, and then-new super-stud recruit Marty Reasoner (how's that for the "Way Back Machine"?). Turned out in the long run, my pal was right ... York has since redefined BC from a perennial bridesmaid to the ultimate winner program, and Reasoner went on to have a nice career at BC and a solid career in the NHL ...

... but on that evening, circa 1996 I believe, UNH tagged BC with either a 7-0 or 10-0 loss (I think it's the latter, but I hesitate to be certain since it's a shocking score line). Umile was starting to bring through his own studs who would propel UNH to the two FF's in the late '90's, and York still had a lot of work to be done after the carnage "Count" Cedorchuck had left behind - carnage that Mike Milbury recoiled in horror from after being the BC Hockey head coach for like 15 minutes or so.

Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end. Until they did ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

You made the point before but UNH has been a problem for BC these last couple years!
      Yes! 3-1-2 if I'm correct. But at Conte...some ties here and there. Some teams we manage to solve, but others, like UConn....continue to stymie. I'm sure every team has 'that team' that sort of owns them. Like I often feel pretty confident the 'Cats can beat UML more than lose to them, as well as PC. Haven't seen UNH win at the Alfond, but, who does win there lol Even NU (but only at the 'Whitt; our Matthews Arena stats are not great; a tie 2 years ago?) Interesting how that works....go 'Cats!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bakchk20 View Post

Yup. Plays big/nice 200 foot game. Challenges everything in his area.
        He and Angus both shoot left. Put them on a line with right shot Engaras? Been awhile since we had a line opponents had to game plan for.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Yes! 3-1-2 if I'm correct. But at Conte...some ties here and there. Some teams we manage to solve, but others, like UConn....continue to stymie. I'm sure every team has 'that team' that sort of owns them. Like I often feel pretty confident the 'Cats can beat UML more than lose to them, as well as PC. Haven't seen UNH win at the Alfond, but, who does win there lol Even NU (but only at the 'Whitt; our Matthews Arena stats are not great; a tie 2 years ago?) Interesting how that works....go 'Cats!
          BC. We skate. They skate. No trap/clog BS. Always fun to watch.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Oh, the humanity!!!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• I guess that's a split weekend, right? One OT win and one OT loss.

Throw in two more PPG's today. Better than anticipated, eh?

Comment

• Not sure who made that drop pass in OT with his back to his own player and the BC player covering it, but... that's a gross mistake.

Honestly you guys got BC at a nice time, 4 guys coming back from a Mon/Tues WJC schedule, Hutsko hurt, Newhook banged up Fri/Out Sat. And BC took a lot of penalties. That being said, at least on Friday night, UNH looked reasonably decent. By the end, when BC is rolling, this .500 weekend against BC will likely be worthy of raising a banner up in the Whitt.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I guess that's a split weekend, right? One OT win and one OT loss.

Throw in two more PPG's today. Better than anticipated, eh?
                  I would agree with that assertion Chuck...was just thinking we got some points out of a weekend where we might not have gotten any. I was happy to see some intensity up from the UMass game and think the new skaters got some great experience in this week v a quality team, banged up, tired or not. Every team experiences adversity. Unfortunate mistake at the end; it happens learn and move on. Let's see how we do with the Huskies. Go 'Cats!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Random point that's probably gotten lost in the shuffle of Robinson's mostly-stellar play so far this season ... but Ty Taylor has yet to play, and he's arguably at the midpoint of his junior season now (he could redshirt - traditional or COVID). All indications are are that he is "the man" next year, but "the man" hasn't hit the ice in a competitive league setting to date. This follows an unimpressive frosh season, and some modest progress as a back-up as a soph. Robinson clearly has the trust of MS7.

I'm not trying to make this into something bigger than it is ... but two possible conclusions that can be drawn from what we've seen (and haven't seen) so far on this issue might be either/both:

* Taylor has gone from eagerly-anticipated prospect to borderline "bust";
                    * MS7 is coaching as if his job next season depends on results this season

Unless I'm missing something, I do believe TT is with the team, and dressing (if not playing) ...
                    Hard to read too much into anything in this bizarre season but I thought it was telling the past couple weeks when UNH was playing 3 games in 4 or 5 days and Taylor didn't see the ice.
                    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

Hard to read too much into anything in this bizarre season but I thought it was telling the past couple weeks when UNH was playing 3 games in 4 or 5 days and Taylor didn't see the ice.
                      Bet he plays in one of the UConn games...? My take on it...MS is coaching to win these HE games coz they are all we have; no OOC games which is where you see the second goalie in with some of the weaker teams (and I say that tongue in cheek usually everyone's competitive) and not to impugn Ty's ability. Yep, guessing he gets one of the UConn matches; prob the one at home.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Bet he plays in one of the UConn games...? My take on it...MS is coaching to win these HE games coz they are all we have; no OOC games which is where you see the second goalie in with some of the weaker teams (and I say that tongue in cheek usually everyone's competitive) and not to impugn Ty's ability. Yep, guessing he gets one of the UConn matches; prob the one at home.
                        Do you mean "cupcakes"? "If you cannot beat the cupcakes, YOU are the cupcake." :-)

Comment

I don't necessarily disagree HR ... but we already had a two game series with UConn recently, and Robinson played both of those games. And maybe we didn't realize it at the time, but UMaine fits your "weaker team" description, and TT didn't get a sniff in either of those games. Robinson is obviously playing well, but Robinson's not going to be here for much longer than these next two months ... and then, what's next? Your successor for the #1 goalie role still hasn't made a breakthrough, and I'm not sure we have any top quality recruits in the pipeline ...

Comment

• To be clear, I'm all for "coaching to win", MS7 gets paid to do what he does, so the W's are necessary if he wants to keep his job. It just feels like the goalie position has been drifting for some time now, and if the coach has lost faith with TT, then he's got to be working OT to find someone else for next season (and beyond).

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Do you mean "cupcakes"? "If you cannot beat the cupcakes, YOU are the cupcake." :-)
                              Well...I wasn't gonna say it....ha! Oh the cupcakes, gotta love the cupcakes...And Chuck, point is well made I'm thinking Knight (BC) and gk's of his caliber don't sit much unless they have some kind of thing going on (like returning from winning a gold medal, I mean...) so that's good his backup gets to play. Saw where Maine had a change up with UVM the other day but didn't know/ don't know what their situation is as I really don't follow them per se. What's the chance Robinson returns for a 5th year (that NCAA ruling about Seniors can return not sure how that works)? Or, he goes off to the Sharks in some capacity. Time's gonna tell the tale...go 'Cats!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

What's the chance Robinson returns for a 5th year (that NCAA ruling about Seniors can return not sure how that works)? Or, he goes off to the Sharks in some capacity. Time's gonna tell the tale...go 'Cats!
                                Hadn't thought of that ... I guess that's up to SJ, they look OK at the NHL level with Devan Dubnyk and Martin Jones, but after that Robinson looks to be one of several young prospects who would either get a long look at the AHL level OR continue where they are IF they can; not sure what the immediate future of the AHL looks like anyway? So a 5th year at UNH isn't out of the question and it's possible (probable?) there have even been discussions about that between the key parties.

But it's hard not to think Robinson will turn pro if that's a realistic and viable option for next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X