This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Seems like the PP has been a chronic issue at UNH since Ty Kelleher left a few years ago.

I don't remember this being such an issue during most of the Umile era ...
    It's just an extension of the offensive issue at large. Scoring has been a HUUUGE problem for the past several seasons, we have NOBODY that can bury the puck on a consistent basis, the lack of goal scorers is maddening. This all adds up to an entirely boring brand of hockey that is almost impossible to watch. I don't know what can be done at this point, other than a complete overhaul from the top down (which goes further than MS). Where does that get us? Who knows, but it can't be worse than what we have been witness to for far too long. I try to stay upbeat, but all you have to do is watch about 10 minutes and realize its pretty much a complete waste of time. No joy in Mudville.
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
      It's just an extension of the offensive issue at large. Scoring has been a HUUUGE problem for the past several seasons, we have NOBODY that can bury the puck on a consistent basis, the lack of goal scorers is maddening. This all adds up to an entirely boring brand of hockey that is almost impossible to watch. I don't know what can be done at this point, other than a complete overhaul from the top down (which goes further than MS). Where does that get us? Who knows, but it can't be worse than what we have been witness to for far too long. I try to stay upbeat, but all you have to do is watch about 10 minutes and realize its pretty much a complete waste of time. No joy in Mudville.
      Not sure what going over BS35+infinity will get you, other than another posing pointy-headed admin type sneering down their nose at the local rabble who used to take pride in UNH Hockey being the State's "home team" as nothing more than a nuisance. No joy in Mudville, indeed ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Since BC is playing UNH, dropped in to see what's going on here. Look no further than what Lowell, PC, NU and UMass have done in recent years since Maine and UNH dropped off. With the right coach, there's really no reason UNH can't do what those other programs have been doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Since BC is playing UNH, dropped in to see what's going on here. Look no further than what Lowell, PC, NU and UMass have done in recent years since Maine and UNH dropped off. With the right coach, there's really no reason UNH can't do what those other programs have been doing.
          Maybe we can have a discussion with Ryan Day or Chip Kelly ... oops, wrong sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Seems like the PP has been a chronic issue at UNH since Ty Kelleher left a few years ago.
            UNH was 21% LAST SEASON - but everyone wanted the catalyst benched. Well, this is what that looks like, on the PP and at even strength...

1-3 with 0.75 goals/game against teams with a regulation win this year.

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            With the right coach, there's really no reason UNH can't do what those other programs have been doing.
            If you ask me the current team looks a lot like Brown ('11-'13) and UConn ('13-'15), so we've gotten exactly what we signed up for...
            Last edited by Dan; 01-08-2021, 04:50 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              UNH was 21% LAST SEASON - but everyone wanted the catalyst benched. Well, this is what that looks like, on the PP and at even strength...

If you're talking about Gildon, then I think you're exaggerating the reactions to his play for effect. Earlier in his career, yes, there were frequent defensive lapses, and he caught some deserved flak for it. But many of us (myself included) admitted the defensive lapses were something we'd have to live with and work through, and by his junior year (speaking for myself) I thought he was the best player on the ice - both teams - most nights.

Looking back, he was the most talented offensive defenseman I've ever seen at UNH, and that's over 45 years' worth of guys. His absence predictably left a gaping hole.

If you're referring to someone else, my apologies ... but with Gildon, I think we mostly agreed ...

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              If you ask me the current team looks a lot like Brown ('11-'13) and UConn ('13-'15), so we've gotten exactly what we signed up for...
              ... and up to this point, it's hard not to agree with your take on this as well. Any early semi-optimism after the UMaine series has now been put in perspective, and it's not looking good. A surprise win this weekend over BC might be cause for renewal of optimism, but MS7 has his fingerprints all over the program at this point, and there's no one else to blame if there isn't an uptick in the next year or two.

I think we all want Souza to do well - I have very fond memories of his time here as a player, and the things he and his teammates accomplished during a very special time for the program. I want it to work out for Souza, I want it to work out for Umile's faith in Souza ... I can even live with the AD basking in the afterglow of going along with the Umile/Souza succession so long as there is a return of exciting and winning hockey to UNH. Heck, even non-exciting (but winning) Bazin-style hockey would do for me. Right now though, it would appear we have neither ...

Comment

• When the boys play loose and do their thing, they score. Look at the Pierson goal in OT...he took it on himself to get to the net and there it was. I wonder if they are just looking for that perfect shot etc. I don't know...a player like Angus has the talent to pot many goals. Not going to be any easier tonight; hoping to see some goals and decent play. I know what we're up against. And yeah Dan...hear what you are saying. It's a bigger loss than it seemed like at the beginning. Play making, getting into the dirty areas; I know I'm 'new' to the game compared to the rest of you, but the Matt Willows grit...where is that? That stuff can't be coached...the Potsy slap shot 3 feet out, wow...miss that stuff too. Come on boys dig down deep and do your thing....go 'Cats!!
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• I love our intensity tonight...and SATO!!! Go 'Cats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Anyone can make a point with random stats. UNH has not lost a game with fans in attendance this year..... they haven’t won either. Undefeated in 50% of NE states as well.

still means they are not good.

The “catalyst” benching was more about stupid penalties on the PP and not realizing this is a contract sport. He had the JVR syndrome. I’m here to by time until I cash my first check

Comment

• Who da catalyst now, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

Anyone can make a point with random stats. UNH has not lost a game with fans in attendance this year..... they haven’t won either. Undefeated in 50% of NE states as well.

still means they are not good.

The “catalyst” benching was more about stupid penalties on the PP and not realizing this is a contract sport. He had the JVR syndrome. I’m here to by time until I cash my first check
                        When did I say they were good? The point was, in fact, that they are bad offensively - six goal Maine game included or not...

PP% is just a random stat? Twenty-one percent last year, down to 11% this year (7% if you exclude the second Maine game). You truly think that means nothing?

Thankfully, all of this season's turnovers and the FIVE penalties that have cut short UNH PP's to date (seven games) have been made by players without pro potential or elite skill. Put that in the plus column for 2020-21...

Whatever your reasoning for benching Gildon, it was silly. If anything, one might take a look at this season's 'offense' and wonder if that's not why he took (and/or was asked to take) so many chances...
                        Last edited by Dan; 01-08-2021, 08:44 PM.
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• Woo, 14.3%
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• SWEEETTTT....that was a very, very well played game by UNH...good intensity throughout, Robinson lights out...great patience on the 3 on 3...First win at Conte in a long, long time Go 'CATTTSSS!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              SWEEETTTT....that was a very, very well played game by UNH...good intensity throughout, Robinson lights out...great patience on the 3 on 3...First win at Conte in a long, long time Go 'CATTTSSS!
                              Kaile Ericksson da catalyst now, to answer my own question. :-)
                              Last edited by Snively65; 01-08-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Kaile Ericksson da catalyst, to answer my own question. :-)
                                Yes, would agree...really coming into his own...Some good games tonight by many Wildcats. He makes a difference out there!

Comment

Working...
                                X