Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

    Nobody knows just how this thing is going to pan out. But once testing gets underway, it's quite possible there will be an exponential amount of cases, just as there was in Hong Kong and Italy. Hyping something is never a good idea, but to ignore it, pass it off as a (for God's sake) a 'hoax' does more than a huge disservice to the populace. This is a health crisis, make no mistake about it. There's a massive population of people who are at high risk for death if they contract this virus. This should not be ignored and all prudent measures to contain it are needed. Fortunately things in Italy, and Hong Kong, are on a linear path of contagion right now. Why is that? Because they TESTED people, they quarantined where necessary. Way ahead of us as usual. This is so reminiscent of the how we handled the HIV epidemic. Thousands died before we took action. Granted, Covid19 is not HIV. But tell that to people who will lose loved ones. Any time wasted is a life lost...isn't that worth it?

    I do not pretend to 'know it all' about this but being a health teacher you better believe I'm following it. I've made it my life's business since I began teaching in 1980 and my career 'grew up' in the HIV/AIDS pandemic (which still surges on, despite life saving medications...and we STILL do not have an effective vaccine for this virus.) Taking 'sides' against a potentially lethal virus (we still don't know, or will know, what it's capable of, but thank GOD there are people OUTSIDE OF OUR GOVERNMENT who are on the case and we can listen to. The mere fact that our VERY OWN CDC didn't put numbers out is criminal, regardless of how 'small' those numbers are, for now.

    Agree; hysterics never solved anything but here we 'go again' with the 'poo pooing' of something that should not be a partisan issue. It's a health issue, and in the words of the late Roger Gail Lyon, who went Congress to testify as an HIV+ gay man, living in the midst of government in action and indifference (eventually died of AIDS before treatments were found) "I came here today to ask that this nation, with all of its resources and compassion, to not let my epitaph read I died of red tape'. Wash your hands...listen to people like Anthony Fauci and the like. I was relieved to see him finally be allowed to get involved be heard.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      I don't remember the MSM driving the same panic-stricken narrative with the Ebola virus, 'Watcher.

      If we're going to talk about science … I also find it interesting how the MSM totally ignores what scientists have said about what other folks have casually described as a "clump of cells" and how said "clumps" are regularly proven to be viable well after certain procedures backed by the MSM continue to be undertaken. Rather than flesh that out, I'll say MSM is hardly devoted to science.

      Say what you will about what's going on now, 'Watcher … but one thing that's hard to refute is that the MSM has gotten it all so wrong, so frequently these last 4 years … it's not our fault if we don't believe the "boy that cried wolf" over and over and over and over, and still seems to be picking sides. If they weren't so obviously trying to drive a narrative to attain a result, maybe they'd have more credibility when really important stuff crops up? But they haven't, so they don't ...
      +1 followed by a bunch of 0's
      GO BLUE/GO UNH

      COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

        From the Seacoast online:

        UNH may shut down classes after spring break due to coronavirus

        DURHAM - University of New Hampshire faculty and students say administrators have informed them there's a strong possibility classes may be shifted online or temporarily curtailed after next week's spring break to help minimize the transmission of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

        ...nothing to see here folks...move along, move along...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          From the Seacoast online:

          UNH may shut down classes after spring break due to coronavirus

          DURHAM - University of New Hampshire faculty and students say administrators have informed them there's a strong possibility classes may be shifted online or temporarily curtailed after next week's spring break to help minimize the transmission of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

          ...nothing to see here folks...move along, move along...
          Mild panic already starting to set in. Seeing bare shelves today with my own eyes where, soap, sanitizer and TP should be. True story!
          GO BLUE/GO UNH

          COLLEGE HOCKEY RULES

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

            hey gang...hope all is well with you! In case you wanna little UNH "nostalgia", NESN plus is running the UNH v UML HE semi final game at 10:00 a.m. We lost that one 4-0, but I will enjoy seeing some of my fan era players out there! It's also the last time CDS is in a UNH uni, just as a side note.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

            Comment


            • #66
              It continues to astonish me how so many have their heads us their *** on this, taking their lead from the President, who decided to get in a debate with Dr. Fauci yesterday about the efficacy of an untested vaccine that some have surmised might help treat the virus. Trump was going with his gut of course while Fauci opted for science. What shock.

              The clear difference between between your run of the mill influenza and the coronavirus is that the former is preventable if people take the proper measures while the latter, to this point is not. Yes, there are thousands of deaths every because of the flu. Why. Because people wave away the advice to get a flu shot at the start of winter. They refuse to wash their hands multiple times a day, stay home and instead “power through” and head off to work or school where they can infect countless others. The reason drastic measures are being taken now is because, without them, people would go about their normal business and, if carrying the virus, infect others even if they don’t feel ill themselves. Why is this hard to understand? Because the guy with the big gut in the Oval Office, who is already a climate science denier, chooses to be an infectious diseases denier as well?

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                It continues to astonish me how so many have their heads us their *** on this, taking their lead from the President, who decided to get in a debate with Dr. Fauci yesterday about the efficacy of an untested vaccine that some have surmised might help treat the virus. Trump was going with his gut of course while Fauci opted for science. What shock.

                The clear difference between between your run of the mill influenza and the coronavirus is that the former is preventable if people take the proper measures while the latter, to this point is not. Yes, there are thousands of deaths every because of the flu. Why. Because people wave away the advice to get a flu shot at the start of winter. They refuse to wash their hands multiple times a day, stay home and instead “power through” and head off to work or school where they can infect countless others. The reason drastic measures are being taken now is because, without them, people would go about their normal business and, if carrying the virus, infect others even if they don’t feel ill themselves. Why is this hard to understand? Because the guy with the big gut in the Oval Office, who is already a climate science denier, chooses to be an infectious diseases denier as well?
                Hey Greg join us over (if you want) at the C-19 board. There's a few wicked smart people discussing this! But yeah totally agree. This isn't your ordinary virus that's for sure!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  It continues to astonish me how so many have their heads us their *** on this, taking their lead from the President, who decided to get in a debate with Dr. Fauci yesterday about the efficacy of an untested vaccine that some have surmised might help treat the virus. Trump was going with his gut of course while Fauci opted for science. What shock.

                  The clear difference between between your run of the mill influenza and the coronavirus is that the former is preventable if people take the proper measures while the latter, to this point is not. Yes, there are thousands of deaths every because of the flu. Why. Because people wave away the advice to get a flu shot at the start of winter. They refuse to wash their hands multiple times a day, stay home and instead “power through” and head off to work or school where they can infect countless others. The reason drastic measures are being taken now is because, without them, people would go about their normal business and, if carrying the virus, infect others even if they don’t feel ill themselves. Why is this hard to understand? Because the guy with the big gut in the Oval Office, who is already a climate science denier, chooses to be an infectious diseases denier as well?
                  It continues to astonish me how many folks who are either retired, living on fixed incomes, or have guaranteed employment (virtually) in the public sector can come on here and lecture everyday folks who are scrambling to keep their jobs and careers (sometimes lives) afloat. Criticizing folks who want to keep working, so they continue to have companies to support their jobs when all this is finally over and done with, and for "powering through" and not staying home (when in many cases they don't get paid if/when they stay home, or take time off to get a flu shot (ditto). The gall … the nerve of those folks, eh?

                  But it's in particularly bad taste to make the lecture from the middle of the 19th fairway, Greg.

                  I do love the new hobby, though. Kinda fun watching you try out your woke SJW street cred.

                  Just promise to alert me when you do your woke gender lecture … a must-see USCHO moment!!
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

                    Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Hey Greg join us over (if you want) at the C-19 board. There's a few wicked smart people discussing this! But yeah totally agree. This isn't your ordinary virus that's for sure!!
                    +1. With all due (UNH) love and respect to Greg.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

                      Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      It continues to astonish me how many folks who are either retired, living on fixed incomes, or have guaranteed employment (virtually) in the public sector can come on here and lecture everyday folks who are scrambling to keep their jobs and careers (sometimes lives) afloat. Criticizing folks who want to keep working, so they continue to have companies to support their jobs when all this is finally over and done with, and for "powering through" and not staying home (when in many cases they don't get paid if/when they stay home, or take time off to get a flu shot (ditto). The gall … the nerve of those folks, eh?

                      But it's in particularly bad taste to make the lecture from the middle of the 19th fairway, Greg.

                      I do love the new hobby, though. Kinda fun watching you try out your woke SJW street cred.

                      Just promise to alert me when you do your woke gender lecture … a must-see USCHO moment!!
                      Chuck, with all respect, in the future, please cut C-19 posts from here and reply in the C-19 thread as I am about to do with Greg's post? Thanks - Darius
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        It continues to astonish me how many folks who are either retired, living on fixed incomes, or have guaranteed employment (virtually) in the public sector can come on here and lecture everyday folks who are scrambling to keep their jobs and careers (sometimes lives) afloat. Criticizing folks who want to keep working, so they continue to have companies to support their jobs when all this is finally over and done with, and for "powering through" and not staying home (when in many cases they don't get paid if/when they stay home, or take time off to get a flu shot (ditto). The gall … the nerve of those folks, eh?

                        But it's in particularly bad taste to make the lecture from the middle of the 19th fairway, Greg.

                        I do love the new hobby, though. Kinda fun watching you try out your woke SJW street cred.

                        Just promise to alert me when you do your woke gender lecture … a must-see USCHO moment!!
                        Chuck, many many of us were trying to lecture you from the ground under repair on the 19th.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          +1. With all due (UNH) love and respect to Greg.
                          ...and there's plenty of wicked smart people here...just saying. 😀
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

                            Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            It continues to astonish me how many folks who are either retired, living on fixed incomes, or have guaranteed employment (virtually) in the public sector can come on here and lecture everyday folks who are scrambling to keep their jobs and careers (sometimes lives) afloat. Criticizing folks who want to keep working, so they continue to have companies to support their jobs when all this is finally over and done with, and for "powering through" and not staying home (when in many cases they don't get paid if/when they stay home, or take time off to get a flu shot (ditto). The gall … the nerve of those folks, eh?

                            But it's in particularly bad taste to make the lecture from the middle of the 19th fairway, Greg.

                            I do love the new hobby, though. Kinda fun watching you try out your woke SJW street cred.

                            Just promise to alert me when you do your woke gender lecture … a must-see USCHO moment!!
                            Darius, since Chuck called me out on this forum, I will respond here. First Chuck, it's pretty rich for a guy like you, one with close to 14,000 posts (at least under your own name) to refer to my posting as a "hobby." You seem to puffing out your feathers by telling us all that you are still working. Must be a taxing job if you have all this time to compose screeds which attempt to diminish the expertise of climate scientists and epidemiologists.

                            As for attempting to diminish my work life (and I actually worked), I spent over 40 years as an insurance agent, the last 30 years or so as the owner. I worked my butt off, most of the time working 45-50 hours a week. In all that time I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of two week vacations I took - honeymoon, two trips to Ireland, and a trip to Australia. The rest of the time a week on a lake in Moultonborough with my wife's family. That and maybe a couple of weekends watching UNH play hockey. As for golf, I played maybe five times a summer in charity tournaments or insurance outings, that's it. In retirement, I am a member of the exclusive Gannon Golf Club, the municipal course in the tony suburb of Lynn, Massachusetts. And I am writing this from my home office in Lynn, certainly not Florida which has one redeeming feature, warmth in the winter.

                            As for being "woke", I've been so since I was 15 when I watched Bull Connor's cops hose down the black picketers on the streets of Birmingham and read of the four back girls killed in the church bombing. As an aside, I had a long time client who grew up with one of those girls. He is the same age as me and he said that from that day on his goal was to get out of Birmingham and never go back. I grew up in Republican family and have always been the black sheep. Even my two sisters are Republican. We never, ever talk politics in the interest of family harmony.

                            Chuck, you can think or write whatever you want. It goes with the times. The supposed leader of the free world, the stable genius, guy who knows more than the generals, the guy who goes with his gut instead of listening to Dr. Fauci sets the tone. The world we live, hopefully not for too much longer.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

                              Excellent post, Greg. Just reading winter 2020 UNH Today (alum mag) with three passings of note.
                              1. Craig Knowles '71 - I remember from Hockey-L days (email list-serve, pre-USCHO Fan Forum)
                              2. Jaime Smith Gault '00, '08G - daughter of Guy Smith '72 (UNH hockey '69-72)
                              3. Dave Savidge '67 - fellow Durham townie, UNH hockey '64-67

                              Those were excellent UNH ECAC teams coached by Rube Bjorkman in the late 1960's, leading into the Charlie Holt era.
                              Last edited by Snively65; 03-24-2020, 04:54 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Excellent post, Greg. Just reading winter 2020 UNH Today (alum mag) with three passings of note.
                                1. Craig Knowles '71 - I remember from Hockey-L days (email list-serve, pre-USCHO Fan Forum)
                                2. Jaime Smith Gault '00, '08G - daughter of Guy Smith '72 (UNH hockey '69-72)
                                3. Dave Savidge '67 - fellow Durham townie, UNH hockey '64-67

                                Those were excellent UNH ECAC teams coached by Rube Bjorkman in the late 1960's, leading into the Charlie Holt era.
                                I know Lynn Smith a bit and I can’t imagine how devastating it is to lose both your husband and your daughter, both at early ages.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X