Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Borek then went cross town to Brown, where in his second year he was joined by a young recruiter from North Yarmouth Academy, Brian McCloskey.
    What UNH did to McCloskey was a disgrace. What a shame, for a guy who contributed so much to the most successful times of the Men's and Women's programs during his tenure. Unfortunately, I suspect the karma attached to those responsible for his ouster will stick to the programs until those folks are gone. As an aside, not knowing what was or wasn't said behind the scenes, I've always said I'd be disappointed to learn if Umile didn't at least try to vouch for McCloskey in his time of need.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • I know the game tomorrow afternoon is on CBS's streaming service. Anyone know if you are able to watch the game "on demand" after it has concluded?
      GO BLUE!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

        Good to have you back, Snives. I was ready to pack it in on here for the duration.
        I can no longer access this site with my antiquated iPhone, so I guess it is high time for an upgrade there also. But, I am not sure how much time I will spend here, as I find this entire entire COVID thing very depressing, not just the cancelled and postponed college hockey games. Kinda reminds me of growing up in Durham during the 1950s, when a UNH student drowned in a winter fraternity hazing incident and several students died in a fraternity house fire, which I also found depressing. I think that alcohol was involved in both those incidents and many others. Durham was a dry town back then, so there were several student fatalities that occurred during alcohol runs to Dover and Newmarket. My family doctor lobbied hard for the town fathers to allow alcohol into town, which eventually happened. At least there was Batchelder Rink, where I watched a lot of UNH hockey games when Whoops Snively was coach, and then Brad Houston and Dude Thorn arrived to play hockey for the Wildcats. So too will this pandemic pass, but I think that we have many depressing months ahead of us before we get some herd immunity, both from exponential community transmission and the various vaccines. I am happy that HEA is trying to put something together in the way of a hockey season for its players, but I will not be surprised if everything comes crashing down early in 2021. Probably the 12.5 games over/under is sadly a high bar on that one.
        Last edited by Snively65; 12-30-2020, 01:45 AM. Reason: misspelling

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

          I can no longer access this site with my antiquated iPhone, so I guess it is high time for an upgrade there also. But, I am not sure how much time I will spend here, as I find this entire entire COVID thing very depressing, not just the cancelled and postponed college hockey games. Kinda reminds me of growing up in Durham during the 1950s, when a UNH student drowned in a winter fraternity hazing incident and several students died in a fraternity house fire, which I also found depressing. I think that alcohol was involved in both those incidents and many others. Durham was a dry town back then, so there were several student fatalities that occurred during alcohol runs to Dover and Newmarket. My family doctor lobbied hard for the town fathers to allow alcohol into town, which eventually happened. At least there was Batchelder Rink, where I watched a lot of UNH hockey games when Whoops Snively was coach, and then Brad Houston and Dude Thorn arrived to play hockey for the Wildcats. So too will this pandemic pass, but I think that we have many depressing months ahead of us before we get some herd immunity, both from exponential community transmission and the various vaccines. I am happy that HEA is trying to put something together in the way of a hockey season for its players, but I will not be surprised if everything comes crashing down early in 2021. Probably the 12.5 games over/under is sadly a high bar on that one.
          I hear that Snively...and agree; it will be no short of a miracle if the season continues to any real measurable degree as we are prob heading into the 'worst of it' (how it can get any worse, but, I digress). I'll be watching today and hopefully this weekends games. It is depressing...and with the current rate of vaccination who knows what and when 'normal' returns? I'm glad I'm retiring in June and wish I could've retired last June. This has been a hard school year for me in more than one way. I just could not go back to another school year with things the way they are. Have to 'almost' laugh; started my career at the beginning of one Pandemic (AIDS) and ending it in Covid. So enjoy the hockey today everyone! Let's go 'Cats!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

            ...with the current rate of vaccination who knows what and when 'normal' returns?
            The new liberal talking point, sigh. Not satisfied with the fact that vaccines were developed as fast as they were, now its not being distributed fast enough. I thought you didn't like inserting politics into this forum Ref?? How about we give the states a couple of weeks or so to ramp things up, you don't think it will improve once all the logistics and infrastructure are in place.

            Last edited by d.gerry; 12-30-2020, 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling
            GO BLUE!

            Comment


            • A sense of who might have been impacted - UNH is playing two defensemen on the fourth line. Out of lineup are usual forwards: Kelleher, McAdams, Sato, Hermann, Cipollone, Cafarelli
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

              Comment


              • Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

                The new liberal talking point, sigh. Not satisfied with the fact that vaccines were developed as fast as they were, now its not being distributed fast enough. I thought you didn't like inserting politics into this forum Ref?? How about we give the states a couple of weeks or so to ramp things up, you don't think it will improve once all the logistics and infrastructure are in place.
                Not trying to insert anything...and give me a break; of course I'm 'satisfied' about how the vax is going. Guess we'll find out. I do believe things will improve. No problem...I hope those that need it the most get it as quickly as possible. Now, I'm going to enjoy the hockey this weekend...
                Here we go 'Cats!!

                Comment


                • In other news, Tim Stutzle is tied for the goal scoring lead (5) at the World Junior Championships despite skating for an entirely undermanned German team. With today's win, Germany advances to its first ever WJC quarterfinal...

                  * https://www.instagram.com/p/CJcS6CSo..._web_copy_link

                  * https://www.instagram.com/p/CJcLpIVg..._web_copy_link
                  Last edited by Dan; 12-30-2020, 07:50 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    In other news, Tim Stutzle is tied for the goal scoring lead (5) at the World Junior Championships despite skating for an entirely undermanned German team. With today's win, Germany advances to its first ever WJC quarterfinal...

                    * https://www.instagram.com/p/CJcS6CSo..._web_copy_link

                    * https://www.instagram.com/p/CJcLpIVg..._web_copy_link
                    He is really killing it; saw that he signed with the Sens and most likely will join them when the season starts? Dan, did you watch the UNH game? I know we were down some key players (obviously kelleher's absence on the PP was quite noticeable) but what did you think otherwise? Great to see Tyler Ward out there; I think he will make a positive contribution. The 0 for 7 was the most glaring stat but missing some playmaking doesn't help. I did think we played fairly well ? considering the lack of games etc. Wonder if Ty gets one of the 2 starts for the weekend... Wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Here's to a hopeful 2021.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

                      He is really killing it; saw that he signed with the Sens and most likely will join them when the season starts? Dan, did you watch the UNH game? I know we were down some key players (obviously kelleher's absence on the PP was quite noticeable) but what did you think otherwise? Great to see Tyler Ward out there; I think he will make a positive contribution. The 0 for 7 was the most glaring stat but missing some playmaking doesn't help. I did think we played fairly well ? considering the lack of games etc. Wonder if Ty gets one of the 2 starts for the weekend... Wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Here's to a hopeful 2021.

                      Oops, I missed the CBS live stream yesterday, but the almighty FOW wins could not have helped the Cats much (41-16 UMassywassy), as they really missed some of their key forwards (why were they out?). I do not hold Souza accountable for the lob-sided FOW with so many key forwards out, but curious whether he stationed two forwards behind the UMassywassy net for the 11 seconds of 5-3 in the second period (as some here know, I am not a huge fan of that tactic). Overall, I think that holding UMassywassy to two goals until the near-end is an achievement. Did Benton Maass play all 60 minutes? And, speaking of the blue line, I will never forgive the Bruins brain trust for letting Zdeno Chara go to the Caps for $795k this coming season; how embarrassing, and simply carries on a long legacy of disrespect to Bruins NHL HOF-ers, including Bobby Orr and others.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post


                        Oops, I missed the CBS live stream yesterday, but the almighty FOW wins could not have helped the Cats much (41-16 UMassywassy), as they really missed some of their key forwards (why were they out?). I do not hold Souza accountable for the lob-sided FOW with so many key forwards out, but curious whether he stationed two forwards behind the UMassywassy net for the 11 seconds of 5-3 in the second period (as some here know, I am not a huge fan of that tactic). Overall, I think that holding UMassywassy to two goals until the near-end is an achievement. Did Benton Maass play all 60 minutes? And, speaking of the blue line, I will never forgive the Bruins brain trust for letting Zdeno Chara go to the Caps for $795k this coming season; how embarrassing, and simply carries on a long legacy of disrespect to Bruins NHL HOF-ers, including Bobby Orr and others.
                        Yeah, that Chara thing is not sitting well here either my friend! I mean, I get it he's old, doesn't have the legs for long shifts etc...but given that this year will be again, another less than normal season, let the guy retire in Boston? Predicting with others that my fav Bruin (not that Torey is gone, ugh) Saint Patrice will be named the new C. Well, now the Caps will have 2 beasts: Ovi and Chara. Glad I re-upped my nhl subscription so that so I can watch him (and TvR as well) play for them.

                        Not sure on how many UNH PP's yesterday were cut short with penalties like the 5 on 3 was; at least 2? And oh, those FO stats; still an issue I don't even notice it anymore just wait for the stats on them. Agree; we did better than I expected given our lack of actual compete time this year. Should be interesting with UConn; would be nice to beat them down there we haven't had much luck at that with only 1 tie in recent years (even tho they aren't playing at the XL). Cheers to you Snively and Happy New Year!!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          ... And, speaking of the blue line, I will never forgive the Bruins brain trust for letting Zdeno Chara go to the Caps for $795k this coming season; how embarrassing, and simply carries on a long legacy of disrespect to Bruins NHL HOF-ers, including Bobby Orr and others.
                          The Bobby Orr situation sprang to mind immediately upon hearing the news that Chara was leaving. Without repeating the story of my long-ago split with B's fandom as a direct result of Orr leaving - and before the backroom Eagleson stuff all came to light - I just don't get how an organization can let a true warrior and leader like Chara walk out the door, when the price tag was what it was. As HR points out ... they're already down Krug, just exactly who are they trying to accommodate here with these "extra minutes" that Chara would have been depriving them of - Connor Clifton?? Not to mention, Chara was really the only true physical presence left on the squad. Who's going to be around now to cover for Marchand and bail him out of his endless scraps?!?!?

                          With Orr, everyone knew he was on borrowed time, but I still think the B's needed to try harder to make sure #4 knew what he was being offered and turned down, but it's easy in retrospect to blame it on a bad guy like Eagleson, so I get it. Bourque, well, the team had slipped, and giving him a shot in Colorado that he wasn't likely going to get in Boston, and he wanted the move ... so I get that too.

                          But Chara's leaving just seems so senseless. There IS some rubber left on those tires, especially if managed properly. Chris Chelios is a decent comparision, as he'd already played 15 or so years in the NHL and was in his late 30's when he left the "C" in Chicago behind after almost a full decade, and amazingly played another 10 years in Detroit on their second and (usually) third parings, contributing to two more Stanley Cups. His experience and leadership on a team already stacked with both of those qualities were valued, even as his role lessened as he aged. By all accounts, Chara is a fitness freak who could well play another 3-5 years if he avoids major injury, just like Chelios did. Guys like Chara don't grow on trees, and given what he has taken to play in Washington, it's hard to believe money was an issue. Ovechkin must be over the moon with his signing ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Dan, did you watch the UNH game? I know we were down some key players (obviously kelleher's absence on the PP was quite noticeable) but what did you think otherwise? Great to see Tyler Ward out there; I think he will make a positive contribution. The 0 for 7 was the most glaring stat but missing some playmaking doesn't help. I did think we played fairly well ? considering the lack of games etc.
                            Was always a Ward fan when he was at DU - he should help. I hoped getting Kelleher back would make UNH more of a threat offensively tonight. They just don't look dangerous - at even strength or on the power-play. Six goals on the second night versus Maine and two in the remaining three games (3-for-22 on the PP overall)...

                            Its been a trying start, I assume, and hopefully adding Cafarelli and MacAdams back to the forward group makes a difference moving forward, but the upperclass/top-line forwards need to be better. They have the experience and they're talented enough to produce. One goal per game won't cut it...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                              The Bobby Orr situation sprang to mind immediately upon hearing the news that Chara was leaving. Without repeating the story of my long-ago split with B's fandom as a direct result of Orr leaving - and before the backroom Eagleson stuff all came to light - I just don't get how an organization can let a true warrior and leader like Chara walk out the door, when the price tag was what it was. As HR points out ... they're already down Krug, just exactly who are they trying to accommodate here with these "extra minutes" that Chara would have been depriving them of - Connor Clifton?? Not to mention, Chara was really the only true physical presence left on the squad. Who's going to be around now to cover for Marchand and bail him out of his endless scraps?!?!?

                              With Orr, everyone knew he was on borrowed time, but I still think the B's needed to try harder to make sure #4 knew what he was being offered and turned down, but it's easy in retrospect to blame it on a bad guy like Eagleson, so I get it. Bourque, well, the team had slipped, and giving him a shot in Colorado that he wasn't likely going to get in Boston, and he wanted the move ... so I get that too.

                              But Chara's leaving just seems so senseless. There IS some rubber left on those tires, especially if managed properly. Chris Chelios is a decent comparision, as he'd already played 15 or so years in the NHL and was in his late 30's when he left the "C" in Chicago behind after almost a full decade, and amazingly played another 10 years in Detroit on their second and (usually) third parings, contributing to two more Stanley Cups. His experience and leadership on a team already stacked with both of those qualities were valued, even as his role lessened as he aged. By all accounts, Chara is a fitness freak who could well play another 3-5 years if he avoids major injury, just like Chelios did. Guys like Chara don't grow on trees, and given what he has taken to play in Washington, it's hard to believe money was an issue. Ovechkin must be over the moon with his signing ...
                              A little off topic but it’s bizarre national tragedies will bookend Boston’s run of dominance. I don’t think at this point any of the four teams are legitimate contenders.

                              Agree with you on bringing back Chara. I would have paid him two or three times what Washington did if that’s what it took.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dan View Post

                                Was always a Ward fan when he was at DU - he should help. I hoped getting Kelleher back would make UNH more of a threat offensively tonight. They just don't look dangerous - at even strength or on the power-play. Six goals on the second night versus Maine and two in the remaining three games (3-for-22 on the PP overall)...

                                Its been a trying start, I assume, and hopefully adding Cafarelli and MacAdams back to the forward group makes a difference moving forward, but the upperclass/top-line forwards need to be better. They have the experience and they're talented enough to produce. One goal per game won't cut it...
                                Bearing in mind this is a tread water year, with Evans and Ardanaz impact kids who are not yet in the system. This freshman class is decent filler, but not a "move the program" sort, so this was always a development year, not a "lets see what we have" year.

                                1. Lack of moving defenseman. Eriksson is the only D with puck skills. Maass is a #4 complement, and has some good compoents, but isn't paired with someone he can complement. Forced into a top 2 role and doesn't move the puck quickly enough. He's a good shooter on the PP, but the perimeter passing (Grasso, Pierson) is too slow. The only real prospect for filling that is Reid, so his development is key.

                                2. Ward is the # 2 forward. Besides him and Crookshank, and after him, Kelleher, nobody seems capable of creating. You have a bunch of kids who seem neutral - but more crash bang, not "he'll be something speacial. The freshman line of Gendron, Richels seems to have potential but will take a good amount of time to have an impact.

                                3. A couple of really weak kids that are my whipping boys, and I will not name them because I'm trying to be fair and not just see confirmation bias, but I just see negative to weak plays from them consistently.


                                They have decent enough talent to be competitive for bottom 8 of the league, but need some better leaps from the players. Even talented frosh need about 10-16 games, so no judging the freshman class, or the ones you need to grow for 2021-22 (Richels, Cararelli, Reid). Havnt seen any pops from those frosh, so am really looking more toward 21-22 for moving the program from 6-9 in the league to middle tier.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X