UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Divver MarkDivver
    Word is PC-New Hampshire series is off. Look for Friars at UConn next Monday afternoon

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Mark Divver MarkDivver
      Word is PC-New Hampshire series is off. Look for Friars at UConn next Monday afternoon
      Not surprised...UNH is likely under quarantine until after the first of the year.

12.5 games is the over/under, huh, Chuck??? I'll take 7. And not one puck-drop-second more.

UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Not surprised...UNH is likely under quarantine until after the first of the year.

12.5 games is the over/under, huh, Chuck??? I'll take 7. And not one puck-drop-second more.
        It would seem, based on events to date, the smart money will be on the under.

Going against form (and my cynical side), I'll take the over. We'll see.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. 2021 is almost here ...
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          Mark Divver MarkDivver
          What I don’t understand is how they keep getting cases. Students have been gone since Thanksgiving break and classes are virtual.

Comment

• Guessing it's "kids being kids"? I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... I don't hold it against the kids, they're being held to an unnatural standard of behavior, for something that poses virtually zero risk to them and 99.99% of those surrounding them.

The fault-finding, cackling Karens out there will look back in shame on this someday.

NOT directed at you BTW Norbert ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Guessing it's "kids being kids"? I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... I don't hold it against the kids, they're being held to an unnatural standard of behavior, for something that poses virtually zero risk to them and 99.99% of those surrounding them.

The fault-finding, cackling Karens out there will look back in shame on this someday.

NOT directed at you BTW Norbert ...
              It just makes no sense that they can’t protect themselves. The NHL had zero in the bubble with hundreds of players why can’t 25 get through this.

didn’t think it was directed to me. I’d say even with one positive test kids day of and let them play if negative.

At this point even if they get 12 games in its kind of a joke of a season

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
                It just makes no sense that they can't protect themselves. The NHL had zero in the bubble with hundreds of players why can't 25 get through this.

didn't think it was directed to me. I'd say even with one positive test kids day of and let them play if negative.

At this point even if they get 12 games in its kind of a joke of a season
                It's hard to say anything informed when so little in the way of detail is being released to the public. You literally don't know if it's one kid or a half-dozen kids, one positive test or dozens or re-tests, etc. I don't want specific names (understand privacy) but some non-specific data would be nice to know. And seeing as it's not being provided, then I err on the side of blaming the program, not the kids.

I honestly don't know why I even bother caring at this point ... in less than a generation, not only has UNH managed to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs, it's now frying those eggs AND the rest of what used to be a great thing that brought pleasure (and pride) to a lot of folks in this neck of the woods. The Rise & Fall of UNH Hockey, 25 years from the construction of The Whitt to the institutional cowardice that's turning The Whitt into the Seacoast's largest/only exhibition hall.

Sad.

Comment

• Looks like UMass is coming to the Whitt on Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by msprice View Post
                    Looks like UMass is coming to the Whitt on Wednesday afternoon.
                    Yep, they’ve been working on this and a weekend series next weekend as well.

fingers crossed
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

It's hard to say anything informed when so little in the way of detail is being released to the public. You literally don't know if it's one kid or a half-dozen kids, one positive test or dozens or re-tests, etc. I don't want specific names (understand privacy) but some non-specific data would be nice to know. And seeing as it's not being provided, then I err on the side of blaming the program, not the kids.

I honestly don't know why I even bother caring at this point ... in less than a generation, not only has UNH managed to kill the goose that laid the golden eggs, it's now frying those eggs AND the rest of what used to be a great thing that brought pleasure (and pride) to a lot of folks in this neck of the woods. The Rise & Fall of UNH Hockey, 25 years from the construction of The Whitt to the institutional cowardice that's turning The Whitt into the Seacoast's largest/only exhibition hall.

Sad.
                      At this point the China virus is wreaking havoc on the world. Sad? Yes! Worse than that actually. We are living in a sci-fi horror show. Top it off with political chaos! Your worst nightmare!

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, let the games resume✌️
                      Last edited by e.cat; 12-28-2020, 01:19 PM.
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Sad.
                        I blame the kids for not doing what they can to be safe. Since this has started in March I’ve been on a cruise, played golf, softball, Florida, and been to Libby’s at least once a week and my entire family is safe. How can these kids with no one around not be free of not? Not saying it’s 100% their fault but just seems odd that every week it happens

the little amount of info from UNH is even more troubling. I don’t care who has it as long as they end up fine. Plus if you watch the games they tell you who is out. But how can you ask for virtual membership and then have no games? My 17 year old got the email and first response was, we already paid for this year and we can’t go why isn’t this free to us?

Unfortunately this rationality will be gone next year when she enrolls....

Chuck if you are ever in town I’ll buy drinking choice and talk UNH hockey. I don’t have your “experience “ (age) but it’s nice to converse with reality not fantasy

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

I blame the kids for not doing what they can to be safe. Since this has started in March I’ve been on a cruise, played golf, softball, Florida, and been to Libby’s at least once a week and my entire family is safe. How can these kids with no one around not be free of not?
                          This is what I don’t get either. I can understand in September and October when kids were on campus and games weren’t happening but doesn’t make much sense to have it happen so often now.

Hockey really has it tough compared to all the other sports. Can’t do much to modify the benches and the virus loves the cool, dry air. Hopefully things are back to normal next year.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• I will take the under 12.5 games, for a beer at Libby's, some day.

I am not surprised that HEA games are getting cancelled or postponed, as the community spread of COVID has increased exponentially in the past couple of months, and there is no reason to assume that the spread will not continue exponentially for the next few months. The HEA strict contact tracing protocols are what the entire country should have been doing last summer, which might have dampened the spread enough to slow down the big surge that began this fall. "Simple math," as a famous poster used to write on these boards leading into the post-season each year. Wow, I really miss those days of UNH post-season play, but at least we have had over a decade of disappointment to prepare us for this moment.

The NBA and NHL bubbles, and even the MLB to a lesser degree, were fairly effective in cobbling together games during the past summer and early fall, but that was during a time when the COVID spread was exponentially less than it is now. I think that it will be much more challenging for the NBA and NHL to play regular seasons outside a bubble now, even if the NHL will be limiting long-distance travel. And, of course, no fans in the stands anywhere. I am impressed that the Nacho pulled off 9 or 10 games for each team during their bubble time in Omaha, where I imagine the players could continue their virtual classroom activities. Creative planning for Nacho, but I give the HEA some credit for at least trying to have a season.

I finally ran broadband and cable TV into my house for the first time this past summer, and yesterday watched for the first time the Tom Caron NESN interview with Jackie (not Charlie) Parker, Dick Umile, and Mike MacShane in 2018, the 35th anniversary of the founding of HEA, which brought back memories of Chuck's infamous founding of HEA thread. I had forgotten that McShane, who was a year ahead of Umile as a player at UNH, hired Umile as an assistant at PC during McShane's first year of nine seasons that he was head coach there.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 12-27-2020, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              I finally ran broadband and cable TV into my house for the first time this past summer, and yesterday watched for the first time the Tom Caron NESN interview with Jackie (not Charlie) Parker, Dick Umile, and Mike MacShane in 2018, the 35th anniversary of the founding of HEA, which brought back memories of Chuck's infamous founding of HEA thread. I had forgotten that McShane, who was a year ahead of Umile as a player at UNH, hired Umile as an assistant at PC during McShane's first year of nine seasons that he was head coach there.
                              Good to have you back, Snives. I was ready to pack it in on here for the duration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Hired Umile AND Borek in same first year 1985. First recruiting class beat UNH out of Manchester's Jeff Serowik and Austin Prep's Tom Fitzgerald (actually beat BC for a recruit!!). Serowik's daughter is now a BC field hockey recruit (non playing son is at Harvard), and Fitzgerald's youngest is a UNH hockey recruit.

Borek then went cross town to Brown, where in his second year he was joined by a young recruiter from North Yarmouth Academy, Brian McCloskey.

The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X