No announcement yet.

UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

On the Zoom call with a few of you here...just some quick things: compressor/refrigeration WILL be addressed. Re-sizing of the rink? 2 years off. Coach is excited about his upcoming class...and feels he's in pretty good shape top to bottom in all positions. Marty Scarano gives no guarantee of when things will happen (as does anyone) but I thought I heard him say he 'didn't think athletes would not come back early', did I hear that right?

Which is interesting since I had read from the UNH President that they would have students back in the Fall. Don't quote me on that and I promise to fact check that haha. Anyway if they do open up for a season UNH will do what they can to ensure safety but there will be restrictions.."if you thought it was hard after 9/11..." Can't recruit actively until end of July.

Scott, anything else of value? ATW? It was great to hear from the players and how they are looking forward to the season.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Re: UNH 2020 Off-Season Thread: That Rinky-Shrinky Thang And Other Lively Banter

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Ref, it is interesting how a simple hockey question doesn't garner more response. I thought it was a fair question with clearly no right or wrong answer, but one that most UNH fans would have a thought on. We can at times go on about thinks non hockey (no offense intended) at some length but why not answer or use it as a springboard to " if Chase continues to grow and so and so has the leap we hope for,blah blah." Jusy good pld hockey banter, no attacks just wild speculation and hope.

To me that is hockey banter, no picking at kids just wild hope and speculation.
      Hey, not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, like I said, just talking hockey. And, I'm probably a pariah right now due to my liberal views. Seriously, it's important to keep UNH hockey in the hunt and you know me I look for anything to talk about regarding the team and season. I am so hopeful we have some semblance of a season!! This is year 8 coming up...can't believe it!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Ref, it is interesting how a simple hockey question doesn't garner more response. I thought it was a fair question with clearly no right or wrong answer, but one that most UNH fans would have a thought on. We can at times go on about thinks non hockey (no offense intended) at some length but why not answer or use it as a springboard to " if Chase continues to grow and so and so has the leap we hope for,blah blah." Jusy good pld hockey banter, no attacks just wild speculation and hope.

To me that is hockey banter, no picking at kids just wild hope and speculation.
        So I'll wade in here with a few thoughts … please don't shoot the messenger … but events of the last few months have left college hockey as an extreme afterthought, unfortunately. It's already pretty low-down in the pecking order to begin with, and now the folks who like hockey are starting to get news about the NHL's plans to resume. So there go some of your die-hards there, too.

From a UNH perspective, the program just finished off an all-too-typical UNH season - build up hopes early, then watch them crash and burn down the stretch. It gets old, especially if you've been around as long as I have - which isn't even as long as guys like Greg, Snives, sonar, 'watcher, etc. So that's another shot against keeping the interest levels burning for off-season discussion.

Throw in the added (and unnecessary) cold water that regularly gets thrown on next season - as in "if there will be a next season" or "maybe we'll see a different half-season". Some of us simply don't want to play along with the charade. We'll find other things.

And lastly … the elephant in the room IS the political backdrop, and you can want to wish it away, but that's easier said than done. Trust me, I'd love nothing better than for this to be the usual routine off-season, with speculation about what things will look like next season and all. But if you haven't noticed yet … we're living through what amounts to a civil war of sorts, with large swathes of the media and government literally trying to scare the bejeezus out of everyone, while others look at the examples of states that have ventured forth without repercussions, and wonder why folks seem to ignore plenty of good news going on out there. Hard to get some good-natured banter going on with all of that as the backdrop. "So, Mrs. Lincoln - how was the play?" comes to mind.

If you live in NH, be thankful. Life in the surrounding states ain't looking very good in comparison right now.

If there is no college hockey season this year, that may end the sport as we know it. Sad, but true.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

To anyone else who was on the call tonight, what was Marty's answer to the question from the audience regarding seating / sight lines IF/WHEN the rink is modified? I honestly can't remember his answer...I get the impression the rink size is the very last thing on their minds right now (and rightly so given the situation). Priority is getting the students/athletes back safely. Also some banter about Steve Metcalf's new role as HE Commissioner and the addition of Brian Murphy as umpire supervisor. Possibly going to 3 v 3 OT was brought up. This was clear: there will be limits to how many fans (if any??) can attend games / an early projection of what this year could be like ...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            So I'll wade in here with a few thoughts … please don't shoot the messenger … but events of the last few months have left college hockey as an extreme afterthought, unfortunately. It's already pretty low-down in the pecking order to begin with, and now the folks who like hockey are starting to get news about the NHL's plans to resume. So there go some of your die-hards there, too.

From a UNH perspective, the program just finished off an all-too-typical UNH season - build up hopes early, then watch them crash and burn down the stretch. It gets old, especially if you've been around as long as I have - which isn't even as long as guys like Greg, Snives, sonar, 'watcher, etc. So that's another shot against keeping the interest levels burning for off-season discussion.

Throw in the added (and unnecessary) cold water that regularly gets thrown on next season - as in "if there will be a next season" or "maybe we'll see a different half-season". Some of us simply don't want to play along with the charade. We'll find other things.

And lastly … the elephant in the room IS the political backdrop, and you can want to wish it away, but that's easier said than done. Trust me, I'd love nothing better than for this to be the usual routine off-season, with speculation about what things will look like next season and all. But if you haven't noticed yet … we're living through what amounts to a civil war of sorts, with large swathes of the media and government literally trying to scare the bejeezus out of everyone, while others look at the examples of states that have ventured forth without repercussions, and wonder why folks seem to ignore plenty of good news going on out there. Hard to get some good-natured banter going on with all of that as the backdrop. "So, Mrs. Lincoln - how was the play?" comes to mind.

If you live in NH, be thankful. Life in the surrounding states ain't looking very good in comparison right now.

If there is no college hockey season this year, that may end the sport as we know it. Sad, but true.
            Well, what is one supposed to say about 'next season'? I know your views on all of this, but that aside.. Some fans that want to be , oh I don't know, hopeful at best? Realistic at best? You said you'll find other things...that's fine. Me too. I can find lots of ways to entertain myself, but I'd like to think there will be SOMETHING next season....if not I'll be pretty darn disappointed!
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 05-28-2020, 08:44 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Thanks all for the Zoom call updates.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Well, what is one supposed to say about 'next season'? I know your views on all of this, but that aside.. Some fans that want to be , oh I don't know, hopeful at best? Realistic at best? You said you'll find other things...that's fine. Me too. I can find lots of ways to entertain myself, but I'd like to think there will be SOMETHING next season....if not I'll be pretty darn disappointed!
              No TV sports = Netflix. This time of year Dan and I turn this thread into our personal college softball forum. Miss that.

Just couldn't resist, could ya?

Amen. Not going to go into it, but my NH based work has some reopening conflict which is a microcosm of the national debate.

Rink dimension change on hold? Yay us!
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Agreed if COVID-19 ended Admin banter about resizing our rink, that is a plus.

Comment

As I've always said, 'Ref … every fan has the right to be a fan on their own terms. My post was an attempt at a sober, balanced and objective response to ATW's plea for the return of good ol' hockey talk. You shouldn't take offense - actually, no one should - if I simply try to explain why traffic on our post-season thread is down. Like I said at the outset - don't shoot the messenger.

Some folks can compartmentalize things better than others. ATW may be one of those folks, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've always thought that was a strength of mine too, but I'll be first to admit the current state of things has been very challenging, and I find myself both angered and saddened way too often. I've got two WIS things underway on here, one apiece reflecting each of those emotions. It's really been tough to get up the energy and focus to continue them, when my instinct (down to my core) is that college hockey is slowly fading to oblivion (see, I've become Greg ), unless there are dramatic and dynamic changes soon. And continued talk about adjustments to next season frankly ain't doing anything to change my ebbing sense of enthusiasm.

You may see things entirely differently, and if so, I say "good for you". College hockey is going to need a lot more of folks like you if there's going to be a viable future close to comparable with its current modest placement. Folks like me are of no consequence.

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Just couldn't resist, could ya?

Amen. Not going to go into it, but my NH based work has some reopening conflict which is a microcosm of the national debate.

Rink dimension change on hold? Yay us!
                  I've always felt the rink thing was the proverbial "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" project anyway, right now even more so. Sincere best wishes for a good outcome with your business, Darius.

Anyone out there looking to invest some spare time on worthwhile content … I'd strongly recommend the Grant miniseries on the History Channel. Surprisingly fascinating piece on a largely forgotten behemoth in American history. And anything about Vince Lombardi, too - lots on YouTube, mostly via NFL Films. Both men rose to great heights from very modest upbringings.

WIS Productions would love it if someone could ever put together something similar for the man responsible for the "W" into WIS. That's a compelling project that is frankly WAY overdue.

Comment

As I've always said, 'Ref … every fan has the right to be a fan on their own terms. My post was an attempt at a sober, balanced and objective response to ATW's plea for the return of good ol' hockey talk. You shouldn't take offense - actually, no one should - if I simply try to explain why traffic on our post-season thread is down. Like I said at the outset - don't shoot the messenger.

Some folks can compartmentalize things better than others. ATW may be one of those folks, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've always thought that was a strength of mine too, but I'll be first to admit the current state of things has been very challenging, and I find myself both angered and saddened way too often. I've got two WIS things underway on here, one apiece reflecting each of those emotions. It's really been tough to get up the energy and focus to continue them, when my instinct (down to my core) is that college hockey is slowly fading to oblivion (see, I've become Greg ), unless there are dramatic and dynamic changes soon. And continued talk about adjustments to next season frankly ain't doing anything to change my ebbing sense of enthusiasm.

You may see things entirely differently, and if so, I say "good for you". College hockey is going to need a lot more of folks like you if there's going to be a viable future close to comparable with its current modest placement. Folks like me are of no consequence.

I've always felt the rink thing was the proverbial "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" project anyway, right now even more so. Sincere best wishes for a good outcome with your business, Darius.

Anyone out there looking to invest some spare time on worthwhile content … I'd strongly recommend the Grant miniseries on the History Channel. Surprisingly fascinating piece on a largely forgotten behemoth in American history. And anything about Vince Lombardi, too - lots on YouTube, mostly via NFL Films. Both men rose to great heights from very modest upbringings.

WIS Productions would love it if someone could ever put together something similar for the man responsible for the "W" into WIS. That's a compelling project that is frankly WAY overdue.
                    Good morning Chuck. As I take a break from remote learning responsibilities...I guess my post was more of a 'hopeful' that we have a season, period. Yes, I spend a lot of my time, energy, money, and ultimately reputation (lolol) being a/an over the top UNH hockey fan. The 'Whitt, and other sundry areanas become my second home so...it's more of what I'm expecting / hoping for this season. I am not in the business of judging or expecting others to feel the way I do and I understand many of the issues that we discuss here...Anyway...I'm off to quickly donate to my fave unh teams and programs as the challenge is underway! Go 'Cats!!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Good morning Chuck. As I take a break from remote learning responsibilities...I guess my post was more of a 'hopeful' that we have a season, period. Yes, I spend a lot of my time, energy, money, and ultimately reputation (lolol) being a/an over the top UNH hockey fan. The 'Whitt, and other sundry areanas become my second home so...it's more of what I'm expecting / hoping for this season. I am not in the business of judging or expecting others to feel the way I do and I understand many of the issues that we discuss here...Anyway...I'm off to quickly donate to my fave unh teams and programs as the challenge is underway! Go 'Cats!!!
                      Hopeful is good, 'Ref. Wish I shared your optimism.

Comment

Speaking of the political backdrop as it relates to hockey, I wonder if that bar we met at in Minneapolis (or was it St. Paul?) has been burned to the ground by Antifa?

Too many questions, not enough time but I'm still questioning why I can't sit in a chair at my favorite beach in Kennebunk. It defies logic!
                        Last edited by e.cat; 05-29-2020, 07:01 PM.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Hopeful is good, 'Ref. Wish I shared your optimism.
                          Maybe it was because I was watching "Shawshank Redemption" and the line about hope being a good thing spurs my thoughts. "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies". So...I HOPE we'll have a hockey season. As for the rest of it going on out there? Not so hopeful at times. Not going down that road we all went down earlier in the year. Saving my energy for Twitter rants
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

My memory of the parts on rink size and work is as follows. Work will need to be completed on the compressors later this summer. Changes to the ice surface and boards is at least 2/3 years out and is projected at 4.6 million. To correct the site lines would take another large chunk and move the amount to approximately 10 + and Marty did not see that happening any time soon.

Comment

One question that I should have asked on the ZOOM call (and forgot to do so ) - what about Kohei Sato, Kalle Eriksson, and Filip Engaras? If they are back home in their respective countries, will the US even allow them back in? Not sure Marty or Coach Souza would even be able to answer this question. And with US/Canada border still closed and remaining closed for the time being, you have to wonder about our Canadian players too....
                              UNH

Comment

My memory of the parts on rink size and work is as follows. Work will need to be completed on the compressors later this summer. Changes to the ice surface and boards is at least 2/3 years out and is projected at 4.6 million. To correct the site lines would take another large chunk and move the amount to approximately 10 + and Marty did not see that happening any time soon.
                                More good news, eh Darius? The "deck chairs" will apparently remain in place for some time!!

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                Speaking of the political backdrop as it relates to hockey, I wonder if that bar we met at in Minneapolis (or was it St. Paul?) has been burned to the ground by Atifa?

Too many questions, not enough time but I'm still questioning why I can't sit in a chair at my favorite beach in Kennebunk. It defies logic!
                                Funny you mention that, e.cat. That bar was definitely in St. Paul, right down the street from what was then their brand-new arena. One of our staff attorneys is from Minneapolis, though, and we got to talking yesterday. Says he spent his college years living in the same neighborhood where that stuff is going on now. He's a pretty level-headed guy, but you could see this hit home, and saddened him.

There's a lot of stupidity going on out there these days, but your Governor Mills appears to be on the short list of the truly dumb and clueless governors vying for the newly-christened "Newsom-Whitmer Cup", enjoying their newfound totalitarian powers a wee bit too much. I'll just leave it at that …

Comment

Working...
                                X