Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    You can add John Deroche to the list: https://northeasternhockeyblog.com/g...kies-uvm-ncdc/

Okay, this search is becoming a cluster F. Get the new coach in so you can prevent stuff like this from happening!
    I mean I can't be too upset kids wanting to leave and with DeRoche he only managed 14 points in 2 years so unless he does become like Mike Lee and just blow up at Northeastern I'm not going to sweat it since whenever there is a coaching change in any sport kids take off. The key for the new staff is going to be to basically try and keep anyone who might actually be important from transferring and that's only a handful of guys and then if there are any talented recruits out there try and retain them while probably go hunting for a grad transfer or maybe there's a hidden gem late signee out there.

This is a bad team and maybe new coaching can help some of these guys get better but really outside like Lucas, Esposito, Cowans, Bouqout, Evers, Lemay, and probably Misley and Vlad I hate to say it but the rest of the roster besides them they aren't going to be up to par and weren't to begin with...they'll likely stay because UVM is going to need to fill out the roster but we all know no matter what next year is likely more of the same of what we saw this year because the bottoming out is complete and it is a long road back to being respectable.

Maybe Deroche is part of the trade to get Keefe that's what we can hope!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
      you could make a starting linup of skaters of ex UVM recruit or transfers or departures that would be pretty good!
      Mike Lee-Bronson Pashinuk
      Nick Abruzzsese-Ross Colton-Orca Weisblatts

Still on the new coach watch,,is Schulman a April Fool? get this done!!
      I forgot about that Orca kid...and his brother Ocean and 2 others with really weird names. Weren't they all supposed to come here and then when the Orca kid went WHL they dropped them? In that CNH article Sneddon kind of in typical Sneddon fashion kind of alludes to the fact that he lost some talent and stops short at least in my reading of it of basically saying that other schools were dishonorable in getting a few of those kids to jump. It's a tough game out there but at the same time those kids might not jump or might show up on campus if they had a chance of developing into better players and not being stunted or playing on a bad team. I've said it before but I really just hope whoever is hired doesn't wallow on what they don't have or can't do with the job and just tries to outwork everyone to show you can come here and succeed as a player and just finding guys and turning them into something good where other teams might not see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
        I mean I can't be too upset kids wanting to leave and with DeRoche he only managed 14 points in 2 years so unless he does become like Mike Lee and just blow up at Northeastern I'm not going to sweat it since whenever there is a coaching change in any sport kids take off.
        I see your point, but on the other hand he isn't going to Sacred Heart or Holy Cross, he's going to a program that's been running laps around us in recent years. Despite the relatively low numbers, on a team full of players with low numbers (so you can't read too much into that), NU obviously sees something in him. UVM needs every half-decent player they have.

Comment

A note from Schulman: https://uvmathletics.com/news/2020/4...-schulman.aspx

Basically says the search for a new coach is "nearing completion" which you have to hope is by the end of the week. Also not a surprise but it looks like the renovations to Gutterson and the new basketball gym are going to be pushed back and probably scaled down because the crisis.

Comment

I have a feeling it's going to be Grillo and Eric Perrin. That decision would be soooooo UVM. I think anyone's an improvement over Sneddon, but I sure hope we don't spend the next 12-15 years figuring out Grillo's not the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              I have a feeling it's going to be Grillo and Eric Perrin. That decision would be soooooo UVM. I think anyone's an improvement over Sneddon, but I sure hope we don't spend the next 12-15 years figuring out Grillo's not the guy.
              We’ll see, but if true, then St. Louis has had a lot of influence in the selection process. It was interesting that Schulman asked for no input from Aaron Miller and John LeClair. Just personally knowing St. Louis a bit back in the day, he is a huge Grillo guy, felt he got him to his potential more so than Gilligan. But I worry about his track record as a head coach at Brown (maybe an impossible place to succeed) and being out of college hockey for 10 years. And my Gut (haha) tells me the coronavirus has impacted the process, including possible scaling back of the Gut renovations, which they would have to reveal in full disclosure to the candidates.

Comment

I expect Gutterson will be pretty much the same for the coming season (if it happens).

Comment

Jeff Cox just tweeted that Jerry Keefe has withdrawn his name from consideration.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Jeff Cox just tweeted that Jerry Keefe has withdrawn his name from consideration.
                    Have many jobs has Keefe been "offered" and backed out on now? I think we heard this about Holy Cross Merrimack and now Vermont. Wasn't it reported that he was going to BU as an assistant with O'Connell and then backed out? He seems to back out of a lot of things but is highly wanted apparently getting offered all these jobs and not taking them

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      Jeff Schulman must hate Jeff Cox now because between this tweet and the one saying Lang and Rolston are out it's made UVM look like they aren't a job guys want to take or they aren't giving guys what they need to succeed. Now you never know if the candidates are using Cox to push the story toward saying it was their choice or the school's because they knew they wouldn't be picked. So what is it down to now Barr and Grillo? Have to take Barr in that situation.

Comment

Well per Jeff Cox again it is Barr and Todd Woodcroft https://twitter.com/JeffCoxSports/st...38160984637454

Woodcroft has never coached in college and it is really hard to find any information on him outside that he's only worked in the NHL.

Comment

This coaching search is the most entertaining thing that's happened in the last month. There's been like 4 different "front-runners"
                          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Woodcroft has history as video guy with a few NHL teams, and heavy international background:

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016...-winnipeg-jets

Comment

So what happened with Grillo/Perrin?
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Don't know on Grillo/Perrin

I don't know much about Woodcroft, but if we get Barr that is a win in my book.

Comment

Working...
                                X