Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 UVM offseason: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
    My only concern is he built the success at AIC on international recruiting.
    Well he is coaching at American International!

Comment

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
      I agree, it sounds like they are going through the right process. Was hoping against hope that maybe Ducharme would be interested, but that was a long shot.

If we get Lang, it feels to me like that would be a win. My only concern is he built the success at AIC on international recruiting. While I have no problem with that, I think we will need more than that to be successful in Hockey East. But we've had some hits in that area with Stalberg and others.
      The rebuild project means UVM is going to have to turn over every stone to get back to being respectable so I'm all for finding guys from wherever. At the same time I think it's important to reclaim Quebec and have someone with legitimate ties to the area on staff. Sneddon would pretend like Quebec kids didn't want to go to college until they did and Clarkson and others were snagging the good ones that would certainly have been helpful here and then he started getting a few from there but given what we've seen on ice I am not sure if those players cut the mustard.

I just hope whoever is hired gets the right people in place and creates a team identity and playing style people can get behind and even if in the first 2 years they take a lot of lumps we can all see that it's building toward being respectable and getting this program back to one that everyone can be proud of. I think either Rolston or Lang can do that. Grillo seems like a weird choice but best case is like Northeastern with Madigan kind of? Guy from the past with connections to the school comes back and has a really good staff to get things rolling again. Would hope St. Louis gives them a very big check to make that happen.

Comment

With lots of home time I've been converting my old game tapes to digital files which I've also been uploading to my Google Drive (for now). I have just uploaded what is arguably UVM's greatest victory of all-time, their 1989 ECAC semifinal win over Harvard, along with the following night's loss to SLU. I was at the game and consider it one of the best I have ever watched.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          With lots of home time I've been converting my old game tapes to digital files which I've also been uploading to my Google Drive (for now). I have just uploaded what is arguably UVM's greatest victory of all-time, their 1989 ECAC semifinal win over Harvard, along with the following night's loss to SLU. I was at the game and consider it one of the best I have ever watched.

Sean
          Totally agree. I was at that game!!!! The Garden was going absolutely bonkers with UVM fans when we took the lead in that game! Probably the best college hockey experience of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
            I didn’t hang around for the SLU game the following night, but watched it from home in VT. As I recall, we were flat. If I’m not mistaken, we scored an early goal that was disallowed and it was all downhill after that.

Comment

In addition to Lang/Rolston/Grillo, UVM also interviewing Jerry Keefe & Ben Barr, per McMahon.
              https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

You guys are right to hope Lang is the next head coach at UVM. But unless they throw crazy money at him, my strong suspicion is that he doesn't want to live farther than a few hours from NYC. I also doubt he is thrilled that one of his selling points is that he can work miracles on the cheap. He probably wants one of the payoffs for his time at AIC to be a job at a well funded program.

Lang isn't staying at AIC forever, but my money says he's going to be very selective with his suitors.

On the flip side, Burlington is a great town.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                  You guys are right to hope Lang is the next head coach at UVM. But unless they throw crazy money at him, my strong suspicion is that he doesn't want to live farther than a few hours from NYC. I also doubt he is thrilled that one of his selling points is that he can work miracles on the cheap. He probably wants one of the payoffs for his time at AIC to be a job at a well funded program.

Lang isn't staying at AIC forever, but my money says he's going to be very selective with his suitors.

What's he making at AIC now? Last article I saw before his extension was he was making around $143k...UVM can potentially double that or at a minimum get him a $125k pay raise if they wanted to stay on low end of their pay scale. Sneddon was making $289k as a base salary not including any bonuses or perks last year and the job listing said it would pay over $300k. Burlington can be pricey but you can live well on that money up here and as for NYC you can easily get cheap flights to there with JetBlue or Delta daily. I also really disagree about being thrilled about working miracles on the cheap because UVM has a larger budget than AIC does...you have to be known for something and UVM might not be a good job at the moment but anyone who does well there will be given bigger chances if he wanted to move onward potentially to pro level or a blue blood program and you do decent you have a job for 20 years. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
                    What's he making at AIC now? Last article I saw before his extension was he was making around $143k...UVM can potentially double that or at a minimum get him a $125k pay raise if they wanted to stay on low end of their pay scale. Sneddon was making $289k as a base salary not including any bonuses or perks last year and the job listing said it would pay over $300k. Burlington can be pricey but you can live well on that money up here and as for NYC you can easily get cheap flights to there with JetBlue or Delta daily. I also really disagree about being thrilled about working miracles on the cheap because UVM has a larger budget than AIC does...you have to be known for something and UVM might not be a good job at the moment but anyone who does well there will be given bigger chances if he wanted to move onward potentially to pro level or a blue blood program and you do decent you have a job for 20 years. We will see.
                    All valid points. If they throw a $70k or $80k pay raise at him, how do you say no ? Great town, great fans, great league. If you can turn UVM around, they'll put up a statue...!
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      All valid points. If they throw a $70k or $80k pay raise at him, how do you say no ? Great town, great fans, great league. If you can turn UVM around, they'll put up a statue...!
                      Exactly!!! Lang can be as selective as he wants, but IMHO UVM would be a good job for him.

Comment

I don’t know Lang, but if he wants to stay a few hours from NYC, he’s not going to get a different HC job anytime soon. Only 23 ECAC and HE teams, UVM is in the upper middle of the range, so it’s a good job, with an upside and good fan base. They will end up with an on-paper good coach. Whether he is successful is another matter.

Comment

I don’t know Lang, but if he wants to stay a few hours from NYC, he’s not going to get a different HC job anytime soon. Only 23 ECAC and HE teams, UVM is in the upper middle of the range, so it’s a good job, with an upside and good fan base. They will end up with an on-paper good coach. Whether he is successful is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
                            I also really disagree about being thrilled about working miracles on the cheap because UVM has a larger budget than AIC does...you have to be known for something and UVM might not be a good job at the moment but anyone who does well there will be given bigger chances if he wanted to move onward potentially to pro level or a blue blood program and you do decent you have a job for 20 years. We will see.
                            I'm not here to stir anything up, and if Lang does take the job, I'll be rooting hard for you guys. Hell, I like UVM as it is. I'll root for your success no matter who you hire. But comparing UVM's budget to AIC's is misleading. AIC isn't in Hockey East with behemoths like BC and BU with budgets in the eight figure range. AIC's path to an autobid is easier than UVM's.

Comment

Originally posted by jfromvt View Post
                              UVM is in the upper middle of the range, so it’s a good job, with an upside and good fan base.
                              True.

Comment

I'm not here to stir anything up, and if Lang does take the job, I'll be rooting hard for you guys. Hell, I like UVM as it is. I'll root for your success no matter who you hire. But comparing UVM's budget to AIC's is misleading. AIC isn't in Hockey East with behemoths like BC and BU with budgets in the eight figure range. AIC's path to an autobid is easier than UVM's.
                                I disagree that it is misleading because it's very relevant to the conversation. Lang can nearly double his salary and he will have a bigger budget and resources than what he has now. That is a huge factor for someone deciding between jobs. UVM has more to offer in that regard than AIC regardless of league affilitation and that is something any Atlantic Hockey coach would have to consider even if UVM's budget relative to BC isn't high. As for the path to the autobid yes that is true but if AIC loses in its tournament it doesn't get a bid which in Hockey East you would still have a chance. From 2010-2019 there was nearly an average of 4 bids in Hockey East with a few recent years having 5 or 6. This year it was highly likely that there were going to be 4 teams in. You don't have to win Hockey East to get a bid and win a national title...not that I expect that from UVM every year or something but it is true of the entire league for its better 4-5 teams every year. If Lang wants to stay at AIC and rack up the wins and have a greater chance at getting more bids I respect that but I think we have to be honest and say that resource wise UVM can and will likely always give any AIC coach more to work with in terms of money committed to the team and has a bigger profile. It all comes down to whether any coach is able to take the resources they have and make the most out of it and if they are up for the task. AIC might be a better job than UVM right now but there is no denying that when UVM performs it offers a much higher upside than AIC has ever shown.

Comment

Working...
                                X