• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covid 19

So mature, so stately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      So mature, so stately.

Trump had the chance to be a true "war time" President here..but he blew it. Petulant spoiled brat...he cant help himself.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I know nothing about this. Can someone tell me how this disease will "die"? How will doctors know when society is safe? The disease is passed from person to person. So, how do we know there's no chance of that means of infection? The disease can be passed via a surface contact. How do we know that there still won't be "live" infections in hotel rooms, airline seats, furniture in offices, etc? Does each "instance" of Covid have a lifespan? The more I think about it, it seems to me that we'll never be rid of it.
        Last edited by buoldtimer; 03-20-2020, 04:16 PM.
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Trump had the chance to be a true "war time" President here..but he blew it. Petulant spoiled brat...he cant help himself.
          I can't believe he didn't confer with his incredible team on what to answer there! All that work assembling that incredible team and he doesn't check with them!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
            I know nothing about this. Can someone tell me how this disease will "die"? How will doctors know when society is safe? The disease is passed from person to person. So, how do we know there's no chance of that means of infection? The disease can be passed via a surface contact. How do we know that there still won't be "live" infections in hotel rooms, airline seats, furniture in offices, etc? Does each "instance" of Covid have a lifespan? The more I think about it seems to me that we'll never be rid of it.
            We'll never be "rid" of it. We still have the Black Plague around (right here in the USA, in fact) but we've built up immunity to it. Same with polio and other diseases we now have vaccines for. Eventually this will be part of the cocktail we give infants to protect them.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              We'll never be "rid" of it. We still have the Black Plague around (right here in the USA, in fact) but we've built up immunity to it. Same with polio and other diseases we now have vaccines for. Eventually this will be part of the cocktail we give infants to protect them.
              Ok. Which factors will decide when society will be safe? Absent a vaccine, how will doctors know?
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Trump approval rating over 50%

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...-up-this-week/
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                  I know nothing about this. Can someone tell me how this disease will "die"? How will doctors know when society is safe? The disease is passed from person to person. So, how do we know there's no chance of that means of infection? The disease can be passed via a surface contact. How do we know that there still won't be "live" infections in hotel rooms, airline seats, furniture in offices, etc? Does each "instance" of Covid have a lifespan? The more I think about it, it seems to me that we'll never be rid of it.
                  THe virus itself is killed by ethanol or regular soap. Just need to make sure you're washing for 20+ seconds. Laundering clothes and washing dishes with detergent is sufficient.

The virus will also die if not in a body. On most surfaces, it's about a day. On others, 2-3 days (plastics, for example). Metals seem to be the least hospitable at 4-12 hours. We're quarantining everything that comes into our house for two days. If it has to be frozen, we're washing the surface and freezing it when dry. Not sure about wet surfaces. Haven't seen anything about life in water.

As for this virus living on, some experts are guessing this could be a new seasonal disease like the flu. Hopefully we can get a vaccine in place within the next 12-18 months. That's the only way this thing dies off. Herd immunity via infection or vaccine. And we still don't know if this is a lifetime immunity (very unlikely based on very preliminary research) or more likely a year, give or take.

Long story short, this virus has changed the world forever. We don't know what it's going to look like in a week much like in a month or even a year. That's why it's incredibly important that we stay home, maintain distancing, and WASH YOUR DAM HANDS!
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    https://
                    americanresearchgroup.com/economy/

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      Define safe? Define rid of it? In general, there is a clear lack of an understanding of biology of cells and viruses etc. A virus is NOT alive. It needs a cell to duplicate and live. The studies and comments you see about it being on clothes, steel, plastics etc means its detectable. Not even sure how viable the virus is to be able to infect someone.

The coronavirus family has been around forever in various forms, ie some colds as well as more seriously SARS as two examples. This strain covid19 can obviously be deadly but that seems to be mostly for those with underlying health issues and/or immunity issues.

Will there be a vaccine? Seems so, but that takes time though there is early testing going on now.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Maybe he has the child vote locked down, which would be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                          Define safe? Define rid of it? In general, there is a clear lack of an understanding of biology of cells and viruses etc. A virus is NOT alive. It needs a cell to duplicate and live. The studies and comments you see about it being on clothes, steel, plastics etc means its detectable. Not even sure how viable the virus is to be able to infect someone.

The coronavirus family has been around forever in various forms, ie some colds as well as more seriously SARS as two examples. This strain covid19 can obviously be deadly but that seems to be mostly for those with underlying health issues and/or immunity issues.

Will there be a vaccine? Seems so, but that takes time though there is early testing going on now.
                          Something is making this very transmittable. It isn't from just being coughed on. The inference currently is that this is transmitting thru contact. No one knows for sure but it follows logic. Some other diseases -Hep B and flu can sit for a looooong time and still be infectious. That is why it is important to wash hands correctly and be careful of what you touch.

mostly for those with underlying health issues and/or immunity issues.The fatality rate is higher but the stats coming out are not so happy about young and invincible. It isn't reassuring to be any age

But of the 144 cases in people 85 and older, 31% to 71% were hospitalized and 6.3% to 29% needed intensive care. The death rate in that age group was 10% to 27%.

In contrast, among people 20 to 44, 14% to 21% of 705 cases were admitted to hospitals and 2% to 4% to ICUs; 0.1% to 0.2% died.

The rates for middle-aged people fell between these extremes, while 29% to 44% of patients 65 to 74 were hospitalized and 8% to 19% needed intensive care; 2.7% to 4.9% in this age group died.

Quoted from
                          https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/
                          Last edited by leswp1; 03-20-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Something is making this very transmittable. It isn't from just being coughed on. The inference currently is that this is transmitting thru contact. No one knows for sure but it follows logic. Some other diseases -Hep B and flu can sit for a looooong time and still be infectious. That is why it is important to wash hands correctly and be careful of what you touch.

mostly for those with underlying health issues and/or immunity issues.The fatality rate is higher but the stats coming out are not so happy about young and invincible. It isn't reassuring to be any age

But of the 144 cases in people 85 and older, 31% to 71% were hospitalized and 6.3% to 29% needed intensive care. The death rate in that age group was 10% to 27%.

In contrast, among people 20 to 44, 14% to 21% of 705 cases were admitted to hospitals and 2% to 4% to ICUs; 0.1% to 0.2% died.

The rates for middle-aged people fell between these extremes, while 29% to 44% of patients 65 to 74 were hospitalized and 8% to 19% needed intensive care; 2.7% to 4.9% in this age group died.

Quoted from
                            https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/18/...ot-invincible/
                            Les: Thanks for the clarifying statistics. These are probably the best we can use for the time being. But, none of these may stand the test of time as we start to see the results of more widespread testing. All the mortality and morbidity rates are using the number of people who test positive as the denominator and we just have no idea as yet what that number may well turn out to be. i expect we may find that these percentages go down sharply once we see how many in our general population test positive and have little or no symptoms or have fully recovered from what they might have felt was a head cold and cough or an attack of tree pollen allergy. This is not to diminish the seriousness of what is happening. This is one side of the coin.
                            The other side, and perhaps more ominous to even think about, is what happens down the road, months from now, perhaps a year from now with this virus. One scenario could be it disappears quickly with the warm humid weather, or with some treatment that we devise for it. Another scenario is that is disappears and then reappears again when the summer ends and regular influenza and other virus seasons start up again. Personally, if pushed hard, I think we are going to see some sort of peak incidence fairly soon. Then, as the country and the world comes back to a more normal state, everyone resting on their laurels and congratulating each other for a job well done, we find that we have entered into a period of time where we find that we might have to just deal with this bugger forever (sort of like the flu) and have to devise new and different vaccines and/or medications every so often just to maintain whatever control we can exercise. After all, how many viral diseases to we ever really conquer totally (eradicate)?? This should be a wake up call and i fear that it may not be. We may be just scratching the surface of infectivity and contagion now that we live in a world of air lines that can get anyone with any disease anywhere in the world in a few hours. To quote a famous movie line from the movie THEM! (And I paraphrase a bit) "We may be at the end of the beginning of what could turn out to be the beginning of the end for us."
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Update here in Maine..... I think we are up to 56 cases now, the rate of increase slowing and a small counting problem detected . No deaths but there are I think 4 cases in a retirement home in Falmouth, so there may be some in the near future. The news seems to be running low on new scary things to report on except for maybe those 10 snowmobile related deaths

Keep washing those hands, don’t touch your face and no kissing and hugging. You know , the same stuff mom taught you years ago
                              Last edited by acs64; 03-20-2020, 06:02 PM.
                              I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                                ok, let’s laugh everyone: parent to child.

“Yes it originated in China, but the technical term is Covid-19. Your mom originated from the back of a Buick Skylark, but we call her Judith.”
                                😂😂
                                Solid.
                                You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Working...
                                X