• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redwing61
    replied
    Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Sure looks like it was the tying goal to me.
    That second, slower replay of the forward angle (1:38:25) convinced me: The puck hits the inside bar. It could only be the crossbar if the puck stuck there for three or four frames of film.

EDIT: Yep, I see the skate lace on top of the net change positions also. Too blurry to see the actual movement.
    Last edited by redwing61; 04-11-2020, 09:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

NCAA Hockey on Facebook has been posting complete games, or highlights of previous National Championships.

I was intrigued when they posted the 1993 LSSU/Maine matchup, if only because of the mystique that surrounds the "tying" goal LSSU scored. Or, didn't as was decided back then.

Here's the complete game: https://www.facebook.com/ncaahockey/videos/229110831625995/
    The goal in question is at the 1 hour, 36 minute, 50 second mark. (Just under one minute of game time remaining.)

Sure looks like it was the tying goal to me.
    Last edited by aparch; 04-11-2020, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Looks like BSU's Charlie Combs will be transferring to Michigan State for his final year.

https://***********/BigRed1696/statu...77121817526273
    I guess he likes losing!

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Looks like BSU's Charlie Combs will be transferring to Michigan State for his final year.

https://***********/BigRed1696/statu...77121817526273

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Vaccines take, at best, 18 months to create. The FDA approved Ervebo, a vaccine for Ebola, on 2019-12-19. Development for this specific vaccine began in 2014.

Ebola: first outbreak 1974, vaccine approved on 2019-12-19. This vaccine took over five years to be proven and finally get FDA approval. It was given compassionate use OK in 2018-19.
    HIV: first outbreak in 1981, no vaccine
    SARS (a coronavirus): first outbreak in 2002, no vaccine
    MERS (a coronavirus): first outbreak in 2012, no vaccine

You can argue what you'd like about the fact that the first two hit disadvantaged communities means that there's not a lot of desire to close those vaccines out. Okay. But Asia has the population density to be scared witless about a coronavirus, and they haven't figured it out in almost 20 years.

That said, Bill Gates's approach of pursuing multiple vaccine regimens simultaneously is a great one.

Also, that said, Bill Gate's back-check is freaking terrible, and no, UAH, he's not an eligible grad transfer (he violated his NCAA eligibility when he left college).

GFM
    The same reason why we, USA, don't have an approved manned spacecraft. No one put in the time, resources, testing, solved the technical challenges, met a need,...

For HIV/AIDS they have been researching a vaccine for 20+ years. Numerous trials have been done, but none of them have proven to be safe and effective.

For SARS and MERS, there is no need for a vaccine. They were contained and the virus died-off. Same thing happened with smallpox. If anyone on the planet is still vaccinated for smallpox, it is the small number of people who work in one of the two labs that have the last viable viruses. It has been "eliminated" and is no longer a threat to humanity.

Ebola is a different topic completely. It is found in remote parts of the world where there is limited access. It appears, is contained, disappears. People forget about it and life goes on. Then it re-emerges and is contained. With the increased population, improved access/travel, it has an easier time getting outside of those regions where it occurs and becomes a global risk.

You can't snap your fingers and have a vaccine. It takes a lot of testing to prove that the solution is effective and has a suitable risk profile.
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 04-10-2020, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Vaccines take, at best, 18 months to create. The FDA approved Ervebo, a vaccine for Ebola, on 2019-12-19. Development for this specific vaccine began in 2014.
    Ebola: first outbreak 1974, vaccine approved on 2019-12-19. This vaccine took over five years to be proven and finally get FDA approval. It was given compassionate use OK in 2018-19.
    HIV: first outbreak in 1981, no vaccine SARS (a coronavirus): first outbreak in 2002, no vaccine MERS (a coronavirus): first outbreak in 2012, no vaccineYou can argue what you'd like about the fact that the first two hit disadvantaged communities means that there's not a lot of desire to close those vaccines out. Okay. But Asia has the population density to be scared witless about a coronavirus, and they haven't figured it out in almost 20 years.That said, Bill Gates's approach of pursuing multiple vaccine regimens simultaneously is a great one.Also, that said, Bill Gate's back-check is freaking terrible, and no, UAH, he's not an eligible grad transfer (he violated his NCAA eligibility when he left college).GFM
    I can see there being a lot of pressure on the FDA to push this through faster though just the clinical testing will take a while. It's the data compiled and getting through it with the panels that can be forced to speed up. We'll see.

You give Gate's too much credit as all drugs/vaccines etc have multiple regimens. The other side to multiple regimens is the FDA panels will need more time to go thru more data to say which are marketable.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Hopefully the docs don't take a break and they come up with something to combat this before it comes back for round two.

HIV: first outbreak in 1981, no vaccine
    SARS (a coronavirus): first outbreak in 2002, no vaccine
    MERS (a coronavirus): first outbreak in 2012, no vaccine

You can argue what you'd like about the fact that the first two hit disadvantaged communities means that there's not a lot of desire to close those vaccines out. Okay. But Asia has the population density to be scared witless about a coronavirus, and they haven't figured it out in almost 20 years.

That said, Bill Gates's approach of pursuing multiple vaccine regimens simultaneously is a great one.

Also, that said, Bill Gate's back-check is freaking terrible, and no, UAH, he's not an eligible grad transfer (he violated his NCAA eligibility when he left college).

GFM

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'd say the favorite is BG with BSU second and after that, it's a dog fight. Mankato had a lot of very good players who rode the pine this year. they will be good.

I question if there will be a season though. I think the virus takes a break but comes back. Just my uninformed opinion.
    I’ll get this out there in writing so I can peel egg off my face if I’m wrong, but if the Mavericks aren’t in the top 2 of the WCHA standings next season, I’ll be shocked. Assuming there is a season.

Leave a comment:

• MTUHuskies
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I'd say the favorite is BG with BSU second and after that, it's a dog fight. Mankato had a lot of very good players who rode the pine this year. they will be good.

I question if there will be a season though. I think the virus takes a break but comes back. Just my uninformed opinion.
    Hopefully the docs don't take a break and they come up with something to combat this before it comes back for round two.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

End of the year look at BSU's stats and such. Only losing four guys so far, three seniors and a grad transfer (wouldn't surprise me if there is another transfer or two as it is just the nature of college hockey now). Those four are going to be hard to replace. Brady put up nice numbers this year, Muck was a very strong defensive asset that scored some this year, and Sjodahl was a very strong defensive forward. Henry Johnson gave the Beavers a more than capable backup if Driscoll would have faltered (which he didn't). But, the cupboard is not bare by any means, so there is a lot to look forward to!

LOSING:
    T1. Adam Brady-F 37 GP, 19G-15A-34 Pts. (112 GP, 35G-46A-81 Pts.)
    6. Tommy Muck-D 37 GP, 4G-16A-20 Pts. (150 GP, 4G-30A-34 Pts.)
    T7. Charlie Combs-F (Jr) 33 GP, 12G-6A-18 Pts. (108 GP, 36G-24A-60 Pts.) Michigan State
    13. Hampus Sjodahl-F 34 GP, 3G-9A-12 Pts. (99 GP, 6G-12A-18 Pts.)
    Henry Johnson-G (Jr) 4 GP, 1-2-1, 90.9 Sv%, 2.24 GAA, 0 SO (19 GP, 6-7-3, 91.4 Sv%, 1.93 GAA, 2 SO) Mercyhurst

RETURNING:
    T2. Owen Sillinger-F (So) 37 GP, 14G-20A-34 Pts. (75 GP, 24G-29A-53 Pts.)
    3. Aaron Miller-F (Jr) 36 GP, 12G-17A-29 Pts. (103 GP, 26G-38A-64 Pts.)
    4. Elias Rosen-D (Fr) 35 GP, 5G-19A-24 Pts. (35 GP, 5G-19A-24 Pts.)
    5. Alex Ierullo-F (So) 37 GP, 7G-14A-21 Pts. (68 GP, 13G-17A-30 Pts.)
    T7. Ethan Somoza-F (Jr) 37 GP, 6G-12A-18 Pts. (104 GP, 12G-24A-36 Pts.)
    9. Nick Cardelli-F (So) 31 GP, 8G-9A-17 Pts. (68 GP, 17G-15A-32 Pts.)
    10. Alex Adams-F (So) 35 GP, 8G-6A-14 Pts. (54 GP, 9G-7A-16 Pts.)
    T11. Brad Johnson-D (Jr) 35 GP, 6G-7A-13 Pts. (86 GP, 9G-10A-19 Pts.)
    T11. Tyler Kirkup-F (So) 36 GP, 4G-9A-13 Pts. (63 GP, 6G-14A-20 Pts.)
    14. Tyler Vold-D (Jr) 37 GP, 2G-6A-8 Pts. (76 GP, 6G-6A-12 Pts.)
    T15. Ross Armour-F (So) 26 GP, 4G-3A-7 Pts. (64 GP, 4G-15A-19 Pts.)
    T15. Carter Jones-F (Fr) 30 GP, 2G-5A-7 Pts. (30 GP, 2G-5A-7 Pts.)
    T15. Will Zmolek-D (Fr) 37 GP, 0G-7A-7 Pts. (37 GP, 0G-7A-7 Pts.)
    T18. Brendan Harris-F (Jr) 11 GP, 0G-4A-4 Pts. (75 GP, 8G-25A-33 Pts.)
    T18. Kyle Looft-D (Fr) 33 GP, 0G-4A-4 Pts. (33 GP, 0G-4A-4 Pts.)
    T20. Sam Solensky-F (Fr) 10 GP, 1G-1A-2 Pts. (10 GP, 1G-1A-2 Pts.)
    T20. Tyler Jubenvill-D (So) 27 GP 0G-2A-2 Pts. (55 GP, 0G-2A-2 Pts.)
    T20. Zach Driscoll-G (Jr) 33 GP, 0G-2A-2 Pts. (74 GP, 0G-2A-2 Pts.)
    T23. Nick Leitner-D (Fr) 5 GP, 1G-0A-1 Pts. (5 GP, 1G-0A-1 Pts.)
    T23. Farby Gula-D (So) 17 GP, 1G-0A-1 Pts. (35 GP, 1G-2A-3 Pts.)
    T25. Brad Belisle-F (Fr) 10 GP, 0G-0A-0 Pts. (10 GP, 0G-0A-0 Pts.)

Zach Driscoll-G (Jr) 33 GP, 21-8-4, 93.7 Sv%, 1.63 GAA, 4 SO (74 GP, 37-25-9, 91.9 Sv%, 2.13 GAA, 8 SO)
    Michael Carr-G (Fr) Did Not Play

PLAYERS COMING IN (signed only):
    Jack Powell-D Aberdeen Wings (NAHL) 51 GP, 6G-23A-29 Pts., 30 PIM
    Austin Jouppi-F Bismark Bobcats (NAHL) 50 GP, 12G-22A-34 Pts., 20 PIM
    Aaron Myers-F Fargo Force (USHL) 8 GP, 0G-1A-1 Pts., 6 PIM
    ********Minnesota Wilderness (NAHL) 32 GP, 12G-20A-32 Pts., 16 PIM
    Lukas Sillinger-F, Penticton Vees (BCHL) 56 GP, 22G-37A-59 Pts., 20 PIM
    *********BCHL Playoffs 5 GP, 1G-5A-6 Pts., 4 PIM
    Gavin Enright-G Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) 23 GP, 12W-8L-2OTL-1SOL, 3.22 GAA, 90.1 SV %, 3 SO

Breakdown By Class For 2020-21
    Seniors: 3 Forwards, 2 Defense, 1 Goalies
    Juniors: 6 Forwards, 2 Defense
    Sophomores: 3 Forwards, 4 Defense, 1 Goalie
    Freshmen: 3 Forwards, 1 Defense, 1 Goalie

Non-Conference Schedule:
    10/9: North Dakota
    10/10: @North Dakota
    11/20: St. Cloud State
    11/21: @St. Cloud State
    11/27: @Mass-Lowell or Merrimack
    11/28: @Mass-Lowell or Merrimack
    1/01: Minnesota-Duluth
    1/02: @Minnesota-Duluth
    Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 04-10-2020, 03:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redwing61
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    They'll have a grad transfer, Sophomore and Freshman.
    You sure it's going to be a grad transfer? Beydoun allegedly had 15 teams interested. Seems like a lot of teams could be left scrambling.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    Tech also has essentially zero goaltending experience returning
    They'll have a grad transfer, Sophomore and Freshman. They're also only losing 18 goals out of 104...one of the most returning goals in the country.

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Tech looks good. BGSU has quite a bit back. Alaska took big steps this year. Should be wide open.
    Tech also has essentially zero goaltending experience returning

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

Most of the Beavers' non-conference schedule is now known:

The Beavers will host the North Dakota Fighting Hawks October 9 and the Hawks will host the Beavers October 10.

BSU will play St. Cloud State in Bemidji on November 20 and travel to St. Cloud on November 21.

The Beavers will also head out east to play Mass-Lowell and Merrimack on November 27 and 28.

UMD released their home non-conference schedule, BSU will be at Duluth on Saturday, January 2. I would assume that the 'dog will be in Bemidji on Sunday, Jan 3?

EDIT: The Duluth News-Tribune is reporting UMD at BSU January 1.
    Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 04-09-2020, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X