X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I wonder if they will release the protocol for when team A gets it.
    The only detail I know is that they are holding the first weekend in March open as an available spot to reschedule postponed games.

Leave a comment:

• lakersparty
    replied
    The Lakers have some dates up on their schedules page:
    https://lssulakers.com/sports/m-hockey/2020-21/schedule

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Since I haven't been contacted about purchasing tickets, would I be correct to think that the schedule will be played in empty arenas?
    I think at this point we just don't know. Too many variables to have a definitive answer. And I honestly think the policies are going to vary - by location and over time you may have multiple answers.

Leave a comment:

• MavsFan
    replied
    Since I haven't been contacted about purchasing tickets, would I be correct to think that the schedule will be played in empty arenas?

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Full schedules set to drop tomorrow. Some already confirmed dates come from NMU - they will play Tech 4 times in non-conference (Nov 27-28 and Dec 18-19) and twice in WCHA play (Feb 27-28), and will host Ferris on Jan 29-30.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I wonder if they will release the protocol for when team A gets it.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Apparently they still can't get everything nailed down yet. Schedule release looks like it won't happen until next week now, so that could be less than 3 weeks before the first game on the list for some teams.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    On the topic of trophies - got some news leaked about the competition for the last Jeff Sauer Trophy. Looks like the WCHA will indeed scrap a weekend of playoff hockey for this season - they will leave the weekend of March 6-7 open for potential makeups of postponed games. The format looks like it will only have 4 playoff teams...1v4 and 2v3 in a best of 3 semifinal on the weekend of March 13-14, and then a championship single game on March 21 hosted by the higher seed to advance.

Leave a comment:

• bravohankins
    replied
    I prefer this image of it.... current NHL Executives Brian MacLellan and George McPhee in 1982.

I remember when we first saw that thing, we were all like "now that's a trophy"

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• lakersparty
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Not exactly true. LSSU was playing for the MacNaughton Cup in 1982-84 when Tech was a member of the CCHA along with LSSU. Unfortunately for LSSU their glory years came about a decade later after Tech had returned to the WCHA and taken the cup with them. In my opinion, if you ever saw the MacNaughton Cup in person, I think you would change your thoughts on if it was a worthy prize for a champion.

Sorry this is a photo of a photo...

Interesting. I didn't realize that. Tech really has carried around that trophy every place they have been. Thanks for the photo. It does look nice. Maybe the Lakers should just go ahead and win it some day soon, so I can appreciate it more. It would be nice to be on top of the CCHA again.

Leave a comment:

• DrunkTrainPolka
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL5w4meeJBQ
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
    The MacNaughton [Cup] has no special place in my heart as a Lake State fan. It's a trophy we never played for until recently when LSSU wasn't even good enough to really be in the conversation to win it.
    Not exactly true. LSSU was playing for the MacNaughton Cup in 1982-84 when Tech was a member of the CCHA along with LSSU. Unfortunately for LSSU their glory years came about a decade later after Tech had returned to the WCHA and taken the cup with them. In my opinion, if you ever saw the MacNaughton Cup in person, I think you would change your thoughts on if it was a worthy prize for a champion.

Sorry this is a photo of a photo...

Leave a comment:

• bravohankins
    replied

Whatever happened to the Mason Cup? I think it'd be cool if the new CCHA had multiple cups. MacNaughton for the regular season. Mason for the playoffs.
    There were two Mason Cups, one that was given to the winning team and one that was on display at the JLA all season.
    Bowling Green has possession of the one that was given out to the teams as well as numerous other banners/trophies from the original CCHA, such as the Bill Beagan Trophy.
    The other Mason Cup was loaned to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Speaking of the MacNaughton Cup. Currently BGSU is the only school to have their name on it as the "CCHA" Champion as they won the CCHA regular season titles all 3 years 1982, 1983 and 1984 that Tech was a member of the original CCHA...that could change when it goes to the CCHA regular Season Champion sometime in March 2022.

"New" CCHA members that have won the MacNaughton Cup:
    Michigan Tech
    Bowling Green
    Bemidji State
    Ferris State
    Northern Michigan
    Minnesota State

Only LSSU and obviously St. Thomas have never possessed it.

Leave a comment:

• potternmu
    replied
    Originally posted by lakersparty View Post

Whatever happened to the Mason Cup? I think it'd be cool if the new CCHA had multiple cups. MacNaughton for the regular season. Mason for the playoffs.
    If we bring back the Mason Cup, we should have a ceremonial dropping of the cup at the Fox Theater in Detroit every year.

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied
    Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

in my opinion the macnaughton is amazing - it is the second oldest, still in use, hockey trophy around - only the stanley cup is older. and maybe too because it was born in calumet (15 miles north of hougton) where i live. truth be told is there no other trophy more beautiful...

i suggest the lakers win it once... and it will suddenly be extremely special to you and any other LSSU fan. and as a side note;

"The university's [LSSU] origins can be traced to the Michigan College of Mining & Technology, which is now known as Michigan Technological University. The mining and technology college opened the Sault Ste. Marie Residence Center of the Michigan College of Mining & Technology, which was commonly shortened to Soo Tech. The original class consisted of 272 students. The institution was later renamed Lake Superior State College of Michigan Technological University in 1966. The college received autonomy from Michigan Tech in 1970 and was known as Lake Superior State College until 1987, when the institution was granted university status."

so in a way LSSU is even a pseudo-trustee...
    Very interesting history, thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X