WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    You might not have seen Tom Serratore go off on the refs on the ice after the game but apparently, he was very upset by the way Mankato had run a pick to get free and score the winning goal and how the refs knew it was a pick and did nothing about it. But I don't think that's the whole story. As you might be aware Bemidji is expert at slowing you down and playing good defense, and they did that during the game as did Mankato in a big way. The Refs it did seem decided to ignore almost all of it.
    However, what seemed to me that happened was that on the first goal for Mankato, that they scored off a faceoff, they also ran a pick in order to get loose. I think that is the reason the coach was so angry. Two picks-- two goals, and they lose.
    I guess karma caught up on Saturday when the Mavs had two goals chalked off by replay review.

Comment

• I'd rather have lost this weekend than have so many players hurt and out indefinitely. I wish the refs had called games closer and not allowed quite so many shenanigans.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• UPDATED THROUGH 2/28/21
        TEAM POSSIBLE SEEDING POSSIBLE PTS
        MSU #1 LOCKED 33-39 pts
        BGSU 2-3 27 pts **
        LSSU 2-5 20-29 pts
        MTU 3-5 20-26 pts
        NMU 5-6 20 pts *
        BSU 2-6 16-28 pts
        UAH #7 LOCKED 08-14 pts
        FERRIS #8 LOCKED 03-06 pts
        FIRST ROUND MATCH-UPS
        FERRIS at MANKATO
        T.B.D. at BGSU

NMU at T.B.D.
        UAH at T.B.D.
        NMU at T.B.D.

* NMU loses tiebreaker "B" to MTU and LSSU; Tie breaker "B" is win percentage
        ** BGSU can not finish lower than 3rd; LSSU & BSU will split 6 potential pts between them (games 3/2-3/3), only one of those two teams can potentially pass BGSU
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I'd rather have lost this weekend than have so many players hurt and out indefinitely. I wish the refs had called games closer and not allowed quite so many shenanigans.
          I'm not sure what games you're referencing, but I thought the officiating in the msu/bsu series was atrocious. I agree that the penalty call on the goalie was asinine. I can MAYBE understand what the ref was looking at, but at best it was a stretch. They were letting pick plays go all night on Thursday, so it's not a surprise they didn't call the one on the gwg. They also called 3 icing on msu when the msu clearly won the race to the puck.

On Saturday, it was one of those games where you felt for the players because you never knew what was and wasn't going to be called.

Earlier this year people were talking about hoping the ccha would call a tighter game so the action moved better. This series was example #1 of what refs need to avoid in my mind .
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• UPDATED THROUGH 3/3/21
            MSU #1 LOCKED 33-39 pts
            BGSU 2-3 27 pts
            LSSU 2-4 24-27 pts **
            MTU 3-5 20-26 pts *
            NMU 5-6 20 pts
            BSU 4-6 18-24 pts ***
            UAH #7 LOCKED 08-14 pts
            FERRIS #8 LOCKED 03-06 pts
            FIRST ROUND MATCH-UPS
            FERRIS at MANKATO
            T.B.D. at BGSU
            T.B.D. at LSSU
            MTU
            BSU
            NMU at T.B.D.
            UAH at T.B.D.

* MTU holds tie breaker "B" (win percentage) over NMU
            ** If LSSU wins their final game in regulation, they hold the tie breaker "B" (win percentage) over BGSU
            *** LSSU would hold tie breaker "C" (wins in regulation) over BSU
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-03-2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              *** LSSU would hold tie breaker "C" (wins in regulation) over BSU
              Incorrect. BSU would have a higher winning percentage over LSSU if the they sweep UAH and LSSU loses to FSU in regulation. Beavers would be 8-5-1 and Lakers would be 8-6-0. Bemidji would win tiebreaker B.
              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post

Incorrect. BSU would have a higher winning percentage over LSSU if the they sweep UAH and LSSU loses to FSU in regulation. Beavers would be 8-5-1 and Lakers would be 8-6-0. Bemidji would win tiebreaker B.
                If Bemidji is 8-5-1 and Lake State is 8-6-0, how would they be tied?
                Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-04-2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                  BSU would have a higher winning percentage over LSSU if the they sweep UAH and LSSU loses to FSU in regulation. Beavers would be 8-5-1 and Lakers would be 8-6-0. Bemidji would win tiebreaker B.
                  It my understanding that tie breaker "B" is simply total wins divided by total games, meaning both teams would have identical 0.571. But I could be wrong.
                  Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  If Bemidji is 8-5-1 and Lake State is 8-6-0, how would they be tied?
                  They could be tied on pts even with different records. That's because of all the goofy rules the WCHA has about awarding conference points for OT, shootouts, etc. A "win" (some of which are officially counted as ties) is not always worth 3 pts in the WCHA standings. It matters HOW / WHEN you win. Stupid in my opinion, but that is how the WCHA does it. LSSU is currently 2-2 in OT and Bemidji is 3-2 in OT.
                  Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-04-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Is the CCHA going to get rid of all of this math? Because if it is, I am all for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                      Is the CCHA going to get rid of all of this math? Because if it is, I am all for it.
                      No idea. "Winning percentage" has to be one of the stupidest metrics in this system. Head-to-head, league wins, league losses would quickly and easily settle most tie-breakers. Makes winning in regulation even more important.

*And I'm not just saying this because it would benefit any team this season. I can't say I've heard the "winning percentage" as a tie breaker before this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                        "Winning percentage" has to be one of the stupidest metrics in this system. Head-to-head... would quickly and easily settle most tie-breakers. Makes winning in regulation even more important... I can't say I've heard the "winning percentage" as a tie breaker before this year.
                        Agreed. Why it is popping up so much this year is that normally tie breaker "A" (most points in head to head games) would settle most ties, but "A" stipulates that the teams in question must all have four conference games against each other. This year's reduced schedule of only two conference games between opponents takes "A" out of the equation for 2020-21.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Well it is March 1st [2020] and two teams, the Alabama Huntsville Chargers and the Ferris State Bulldogs, are already making their tee times and putting together their plans for the 2020-21 season. Here are some story lines we will be watching this season:
                          Just looking back to the start of this thread just over a year ago, some of the answers are now becoming clearer and the title of this thread coming true seems like a very real possibility.
                          • Will UAF, UAA or UAH win the MacNaughton Cup (regular season champion) and hold it ransom for a spot in the CCHA? NO
                          • Will UAF, UAA or UAH win the Super Sticky Sauer Syrup Cup (playoff champion) and hold it ransom for a spot in the CCHA? WITH UAH, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
                          • Will all 10 teams leave the WCHA to join the CCHA and then wonder what the heck just happened? SIGNS POINT TO NO.
                          • Will the two Alaska schools secure the two top seeds for the playoffs and hold the entire conference hostage in Alaska for three weeks? NO
                          • Will the 70th Anniversary of the WCHA actually be celebrated by the league? YES, BUT ONLY VIA SOCIAL MEDIA.
                          • Will the departing teams find a web developer who can take them into the 21st Century? YES
                          • Is the universe finite or infinite? (Geof, can you take this one?) Time is up. We need your answer Geof.
                          • How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop? So far the average count after 97 trials is 763 licks, but more data is needed, especially with the grape flavor.
                          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-04-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• The tie-breakers have changed for this year...and the league's standing page does NOT indicate this. Tiebreaker A is head-to-head...even though all teams played just twice.

So, in the "old" tiebreakers, there were several that only applied if teams played four times. That is NOT the case this year. Just delete the 4 games requirement from the old tiebreakers, and that's the "new" tiebreaker for this year.

Comment

• UPDATED THROUGH 3/6/21 (w/ corrected tie breakers)
                              MSU #1 LOCKED 39 pts
                              LSSU #2 LOCKED 27 pts **
                              BGSU #3 LOCKED 27 pts
                              BSU #4 LOCKED 21-24 pts
                              MTU #5 LOCKED 20 *
                              NMU #6 LOCKED 20 pts
                              UAH #7 LOCKED 08-11 pts
                              FERRIS #8 LOCKED 03 pts
                              FIRST ROUND MATCH-UPS
                              FERRIS at MANKATO
                              UAH at LSSU
                              NMU at BGSU
                              MTU at BSU

NOTE: For 2020-21 season, all tie breakers are valid w/ only two head to head games played.
                              * MTU holds tie breaker "A" (head to head points) over NMU
                              ** LSSU holds tie breaker "A" (head to head points) over BGSU
                              Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-06-2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Well it didn't take the very last game of the regular season to lock in all the seeds, but it did go all the way to the second to last game of the season. Playoffs are set for next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X