No announcement yet.

WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or maybe they suck and stole one from a team that is not good after being outshot 37-16.

Comment

• All 8 teams to make playoffs. Playoffs will begin with Best 2 of 3 (as always) on March 12-14 at teams with higher seeds. Then 4 remaining teams will all play single elimination March 19-20 at team with highest seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        Or maybe they suck and stole one from a team that is not good after being outshot 37-16.
        Oh no! We are exceeding expectations!
        UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
        2006 Time Person of the Year
        Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
        It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

• I'm assuming if a team gets hit with Covid-19 and is unable to play a playoff series due to protocols, they will have to forfeit the games and the other team automatically advances.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• I'm sure that's true but what if a team wins the league and a bid and then get Covid?

i'm also wondering, will everyone have the same number of games or is it going to be a percentage deal.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I'm sure that's true but what if a team wins the league and a bid and then get Covid?

i'm also wondering, will everyone have the same number of games or is it going to be a percentage deal.
              As planned right now with all of the scheduled updates listed on the WCHA website, all 8 teams will play 14 games unless their are any future cancellations.

Comment

• I think there's not much argument that Ferris will go to Mankato for the first round. Less certain but likely that UAH goes to BG.

From there the jumble begins. I can see any combination of opponent and location for the remaining Tech, NMU, LSSU, and Bemidji. You'd have to favor the Lakers and Beavers as the home ice teams with the remaining scheduled games, but even that doesn't firm it up. Any unexpected points by UAH or Ferris or points dropped by the Mavericks will be a huge factor.

Sufficient to say this will be an important weekend for scoreboard watching.

Comment

• Just par for the course in this crazy 2020-21 season, Mankato and Bemidji face off tonight in another odd Thursday night game. If Mankato wins, they get to skate the MacNaughton.

However, if Bemidji wins, things get a whole lot more interesting. Because of how far behind the Beavers are in conference games played, they could go from 6th place to WCHA champions in just 11 days! BSU has already played MSU four times and the Beavers are trending in the right direction having been shut out in the opening game 0-5, losing the next two 4-5 and 1-1 in a shootout before trouncing the Mavs 4-1 during their most recent meeting.

This series is home / home with the first game in Mankato so you know the Mavs will will want to use whatever home ice advantage they might have and lock up the Cup tonight. If the Beavers can take at least 5 pts from Mankato this weekend, they control their own destiny to get a share of the Cup. Bemidji has four other remaining games against UAH and LSSU (March 2,3,6,7 all at home) so other than a brutal week of games packed together, BSU running the table with six wins is not that much of a stretch.
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Watching BSU last weekend I thought it was the best they had played all year, but I did not see the two Mankato games.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      If Mankato wins, they get to skate the MacNaughton.
                      And are the first WCHA team to win the MacNaughton four years in a row!

My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Congrats to Mankato on 4 regular season championships in a row. Impressive feat. Don’t take your foot of the gas, bigger prizes still out there.

Comment

• You might not have seen Tom Serratore go off on the refs on the ice after the game but apparently, he was very upset by the way Mankato had run a pick to get free and score the winning goal and how the refs knew it was a pick and did nothing about it. But I don't think that's the whole story. As you might be aware Bemidji is expert at slowing you down and playing good defense, and they did that during the game as did Mankato in a big way. The Refs it did seem decided to ignore almost all of it.
                          However, what seemed to me that happened was that on the first goal for Mankato, that they scored off a faceoff, they also ran a pick in order to get loose. I think that is the reason the coach was so angry. Two picks-- two goals, and they lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            You might not have seen Tom Serratore go off on the refs on the ice after the game but apparently, he was very upset by the way Mankato had run a pick to get free and score the winning goal and how the refs knew it was a pick and did nothing about it. But I don't think that's the whole story. As you might be aware Bemidji is expert at slowing you down and playing good defense, and they did that during the game as did Mankato in a big way. The Refs it did seem decided to ignore almost all of it.
                            However, what seemed to me that happened was that on the first goal for Mankato, that they scored off a faceoff, they also ran a pick in order to get loose. I think that is the reason the coach was so angry. Two picks-- two goals, and they lose.
                            To say nothing of the tripping call to Bemidji's goalie; that was one of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Comment

• Congrats Beavers on your 4-3 OT win over Mankato tonight!

Comment

• So looking at the current standings, Ferris can book their trip to Mankato for the playoffs, but in typical WCHA fashion everything else is still fluid with one week left to play. BSU could climb from 6th all the way to 2nd as they have FOUR games left to play while LSSU and UAH have THREE left to play. Everyone else except NMU (reg season complete) has TWO remaining.

According to my calcs, no one besides Mankato has locked up home ice but we know NMU and UAH will be on the road for the opening round.
                                TEAM POSSIBLE SEEDING POSSIBLE PTS
                                MSU #1 LOCKED 33-39 pts
                                BGSU 2-5 24-27 pts
                                LSSU 2-5 20-29 pts *
                                MTU 2-5 20-26 pts
                                NMU 5-6 20 pts **
                                BSU 2-6 16-28 pts
                                UAH 6-7 08-17 pts
                                FERRIS #8 LOCKED 03-06 pts
                                * Wins tiebreaker "B" w/ NMU
                                ** Loses tiebreaker "B" to MTU & LSSU
                                Tie breaker "B" is win percentage

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X