WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

a) I'm glad someone got that reference. It took everything I had not to end it with Wooooo! Since MnSU's mascot is a cow, a Mooooo might have been better.

b) Ugh! That Ohio mentality, if someone, even on that school's fan site, questions your "greatness" it shall forever burned into your minds. I didn't think we were playing that school in Columbus in football. They are the only other people I know who are so easily offended.

We were feeling good about our team and though we had a chance at a split. Looks like BG is a better than we thought, Tech isn't recovered from Winter Break and Covid, and we have some things to tighten up.

I can't speak for others, but bring it on. With us having a significant fan base within a day trip of BG. It is always good to have competition.
    Rivalries these days are all relative I guess. I personally get more spun up for a WMU or Miami State match. I find it hard to hate on any of the teams in our league.

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

Rivalries these days are all relative I guess. I personally get more spun up for a WMU or Miami State match. I find it hard to hate on any of the teams in our league.
      Rivalries don't need to be geographic to be good. The Tech NMU is one that is easy to get excited about. With BG, it is more competition. There have been some classic games between Tech and BG in the nWCHA. Each game means something, both teams play hard, and you're never sure what is going to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

a) I'm glad someone got that reference. It took everything I had not to end it with Wooooo! Since MnSU's mascot is a cow, a Mooooo might have been better.

b) Ugh! That Ohio mentality, if someone, even on that school's fan site, questions your "greatness" it shall forever burned into your minds. I didn't think we were playing that school in Columbus in football. They are the only other people I know who are so easily offended.

We were feeling good about our team and though we had a chance at a split. Looks like BG is a better than we thought, Tech isn't recovered from Winter Break and Covid, and we have some things to tighten up.

I can't speak for others, but bring it on. With us having a significant fan base within a day trip of BG. It is always good to have competition.
        Some frustration with the piece is warranted when the two reasons listed for Tech getting swept was “...spotty officiating to noticeable fatigue from an unplanned break due to Covid just a week prior.”

Tech got their asses kicked in every facet of the game this past weekend. The grand conspiracy of every official being anti-Tech is ridiculous.

Best of luck the rest of the way, but there’s nothing wrong with admitting when your team gets it’s *** kicked.

Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post

Some frustration with the piece is warranted when the two reasons listed for Tech getting swept was “...spotty officiating to noticeable fatigue from an unplanned break due to Covid just a week prior.”

Tech got their asses kicked in every facet of the game this past weekend. The grand conspiracy of every official being anti-Tech is ridiculous.

Best of luck the rest of the way, but there’s nothing wrong with admitting when your team gets it’s *** kicked.
          Well let's just say we disagree on some of those points.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post

We've now seen the high end of what BG can do. The first period on Friday was as good as they can look. It was pretty obvious that they were worked up over the Gould angle with how many times the bench was up beating on the boards any time he did something. They were riding high on emotion to add to their talent.

It wasn't sustainable through the whole weekend. That's not an insult, no team can play strictly on emotion and keep that up indefinitely. They had stretches where they were back on their heels only for some fortunate penalties to help turn the tide.

There are veterans all up and down the lineup and they can make plays. The Falcons are a formidable team. I'll be curious to see if they can have the same kind of jump this weekend on the road against the best program in the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

There are veterans all up and down the lineup and they can make plays. The Falcons are a formidable team. I'll be curious to see if they can have the same kind of jump this weekend on the road against the best program in the league.
              And now they need to break the CHN jinx in the process. Horrible timing for that.

Comment

• IMHO Cullen should sit until Spooner comes back. Know it's unrealistic but still...

Comment

• League announced he got three games

Comment

• I'm here to eat some crow.

Mankato flat out stomped BG both nights this past weekend. They're not equals until BG can get one (or two, or three, or maybe even four) over on them, and I think it's pretty clear Minnesota State will now run away with the McNaughton Cup, barring something catastrophic.

Respect to that program - they're the class of the league, and while I think BG is still a borderline top 10 team and arguably the next best thing in the conference, there's clearly still a good amount of separation between the two teams/programs. I look forward to potentially seeing them again in a few weeks.

Comment

• Those games were closer than the score. I think though that BG's whole plan is to intercept the puck in the neutral zone and counter-attack. But on a big rink like that it's harder to do. Second they are really good on special teams and with 5 on 5 not so much. But the special teams weren't all that great this week, credit to mankato for that. Third Mankato played really well.

Comment

• I know most everyone says not to look at the computers this year, but I did anyway and the WCHA looks nice in the Pairwise and KRACH. I hope the "eye test" or whatever they are using recognizes that there are some talented teams in the conference this year. Minnesota State has obviously separated itself, but teams 2 through 6 all have some positives this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                          I know most everyone says not to look at the computers this year, but I did anyway and the WCHA looks nice in the Pairwise and KRACH. I hope the "eye test" or whatever they are using recognizes that there are some talented teams in the conference this year. Minnesota State has obviously separated itself, but teams 2 through 6 all have some positives this season.
                          Good weekend for the UP teams. Still a lot of hockey to be played, but the MacNaughton may be coming down to the rescheduled MSU-Tech series the first weekend in March.

Comment

• Nice to see 4 WCHA teams ranked in the latest USCHO poll -- Minnesota State #3, Bowling Green #14, Michigan Tech #18, and Lake Superior State #20. Bemidji and Northern Michigan also getting votes.

Comment

• Ok i guess we fox motors now!
                              UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                              2006 Time Person of the Year
                              Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                              It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

• For any moron out there who still thinks Huntsville is terrible, today's result ought to disavow you of that ridiculous thought. I've watched them all year and they are a lot better than people think. especially eastern writers.!

Comment

Working...
                                X