WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    This next weeks BGSU vs MTU series is BIG! Let's hope covid doesn't get in the way. Tech will have to play a lot better than they have been and be able to withstand that aggressive forecheck Bg uses so effectively. I do think Tech's goaltending is better.
    Tech has games monday, Friday, Sat, and Tues of the following week. So 4 games in 7 days and 7 games in 16 days looking out further.
    Both BG and Tech's goaltending has been outstanding so far this year so I think the goaltending will be even or near even. Tech's Goalies - Pietila 5-1 GAA 1.22 .959 Sinclair 3-2-1 GAA 1.99 .939
    BG's goaltending - Zach Rose 6-1 GAA 1.44 .935 Eric Dop 8-3 GAA 2.01 .934 All 4 goalies have been outstanding.

Comment

This next weeks BGSU vs MTU series is BIG! Let's hope covid doesn't get in the way. Tech will have to play a lot better than they have been and be able to withstand that aggressive forecheck Bg uses so effectively. I do think Tech's goaltending is better.
      Tech has games monday, Friday, Sat, and Tues of the following week. So 4 games in 7 days and 7 games in 16 days looking out further.
      The transition game has favored the Huskies in their past 6 games, where they have scored 9 goals and only given up 1 on the rush. Special teams will be a huge part of the battle with BG 3rd in the nation in power play attempts and Tech leading the NCAA in penalty kills. MTU has a PPG in each of their last 3 games, so this may be the decider.

Have to get through NMU Monday night first.

Comment

• BSU's conference series this upcoming weekend with Lake Superior State has been postponed due to LSSU's COVID. BSU has picked up a non-conference game with Mankato in Bemidji on Friday at 4:07 (a make up from the Nov 23 game that was postponed due to Mankato's COVID).
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
          BSU's conference series this upcoming weekend with Lake Superior State has been postponed due to LSSU's COVID. BSU has picked up a non-conference game with Mankato in Bemidji on Friday at 4:07 (a make up from the Nov 23 game that was postponed due to Mankato's COVID).
          Is there currently a plan to make up all these games? I know some have been rescheduled, but it seems to be getting more and more complicated as games continue to be postponed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post

Is there currently a plan to make up all these games? I know some have been rescheduled, but it seems to be getting more and more complicated as games continue to be postponed.
            I am sure they are trying, but when becomes the question. I know BSU's postponed series with UAH got slotted into the extra weekend at the end of the year, so I don't know when. BSU does make a trip to Ferris and Tech later on in the year and could maybe make a stop in the Soo? But then again, these were supposed to be BSU's home games.

Of the Beavers 11 games so far, only two have been conference.......
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• At this point if doubt there will be more makeup games than what they can squeeze into the last week. There’s a reason they’ve added percentage of possible league points to the standings this year.

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post

Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• I see where Bucci has BG ranked above Mankato in this weeks rankings. I know it means nothing, but honestly? There is no way that's accurate. Sorry BG. I guess if you only looked at the record, but from my point of view that's not the thing you should look at. Course there are other things every week in that ranking that I look at and go, no way.... sigh. well whatever.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I see where Bucci has BG ranked above Mankato in this weeks rankings. I know it means nothing, but honestly? There is no way that's accurate. Sorry BG. I guess if you only looked at the record, but from my point of view that's not the thing you should look at. Course there are other things every week in that ranking that I look at and go, no way.... sigh. well whatever.
                  Well, they do have 16 wins... and they did just sweep Michigan Tech 6-3/5-2.. while Minnesota State was just blown off the ice last time out against Bemidji...

I respect Minnesota State just like I respect any other quality program, but I think it's silly to dismiss BG's resume. They've swept 7 weekends this season already, including wins over currently #11 Quinnipiac, #18 Michigan Tech, and Robert Morris/Bemidji State, who are both receiving votes. It's not like they haven't played anyone. These Falcons are legit - and they have a tough test coming up, having to go to Mankato this weekend.
                  Last edited by mbenecke; 01-31-2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbenecke View Post
                    ...while Minnesota State was just blown off the ice last time out against Bemidji...
                    Not remotely "blown off the ice." You apparently looked at nothing but the final score. Shots on goal: MSU 36, BSU 10. That's not being "blown off the ice." One of Bemidji's goals was an empty-netter flung the entire length of the ice.

MSU had their backup goalie in to get him some work. Four other starters were out with injuries. Coach Hastings said “If today’s a playoff game, you might have seen a different lineup."
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                      Not remotely "blown off the ice." You apparently looked at nothing but the final score. Shots on goal: MSU 36, BSU 10. That's not being "blown off the ice." One of Bemidji's goals was an empty-netter flung the entire length of the ice.

MSU had their backup goalie in to get him some work. Four other starters were out with injuries. Coach Hastings said “If today’s a playoff game, you might have seen a different lineup."
                      I was exaggerating to help my point, for the most part. Lol

I absolutely believe BG needs to win a game this weekend to prove they're in the same tier as Mankato this year. I just feel like dismissing their resume this year is a bit unfair. 16-4-0 is an impressive smart regardless of who you're playing, and I think there is some definite meat on the bones of their resume.

I respect the hell out of your program. Looking forward to this weekend - should be a great battle.
                      Last edited by mbenecke; 02-01-2021, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mbenecke View Post

I was exaggerating to help my point, for the most part. Lol

I absolutely believe BG needs to win a game this weekend to prove they're in the same tier as Mankato this year. I just feel like dismissing their resume this year is a bit unfair. 16-4-0 is an impressive smart regardless of who you're playing, and I think there is some definite meat on the bones of their resume.

I respect the hell out of your program. Looking forward to this weekend - should be a great battle.
                        I don't think anyone is denying that BG is a very good hockey team, but to say they are better than MnSU... As they say to be the best, you need to beat the best. Until that happens and BG doesn't drop a game or two they should win easily, MnSU is the best team in the WCHA.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

I don't think anyone is denying that BG is a very good hockey team.
                            a) Rick Flair notwithstanding
                            b) Why BG guys are spun up right now

https://techhockeyguide.com/2021/01/...wling-green-3/

No comment on this past weekend's outcome.

As I've said before, BG's natural rival doesn't play hockey ("And Toledo Still Sucks!") and our historic rivals aren't in our conference, so I guess Tech will have to do ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by MavsFan View Post

Non conference games against conference opponents at this point are a crap shoot. It's better to play some games than to just sit and wait, but what each team puts on the ice isn't the same as a conference game.

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

a) Rick Flair notwithstanding
                                b) Why BG guys are spun up right now

https://techhockeyguide.com/2021/01/...wling-green-3/

No comment on this past weekend's outcome.

As I've said before, BG's natural rival doesn't play hockey ("And Toledo Still Sucks!") and our historic rivals aren't in our conference, so I guess Tech will have to do ;-)
                                a) I'm glad someone got that reference. It took everything I had not to end it with Wooooo! Since MnSU's mascot is a cow, a Mooooo might have been better.

b) Ugh! That Ohio mentality, if someone, even on that school's fan site, questions your "greatness" it shall forever burned into your minds. I didn't think we were playing that school in Columbus in football. They are the only other people I know who are so easily offended.

We were feeling good about our team and though we had a chance at a split. Looks like BG is a better than we thought, Tech isn't recovered from Winter Break and Covid, and we have some things to tighten up.

I can't speak for others, but bring it on. With us having a significant fan base within a day trip of BG. It is always good to have competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X