Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Incredibly enough, the 2021 WCHA Championship Game will be the first ever postseason meeting between Lake Superior State and Northern Michigan.

    Comment


    • I was afraid of something like this. NMU was on a high after taking out Bowling Green, and the Mavs had looked lackluster last weekend against Ferris. Maybe this will be the wake-up call they needed.

      This team isn't as good as last year's squad. Any team that lost Marc Michaelis (has gotten time with the Canucks, currently on their taxi squad) Connor Mackey (time on the Flames, currently on the AHL Stockton Heat) Charlie Gerard and Ian Scheid (both regulars with the AHL Colorado Eagles, Scheid getting first-defensive-pairing minutes and power-play time) and Parker Tuomie (back in his native Germany, playing on a German Elite League team after being on the German national team) would have a hard time replacing them. Last year's squad I expected to make some noise in the NCAA tourney. This year, I just don't know, what with no inter-conference comparisons.

      They're not as good as last year, but better than they've been looking lately.
      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
        I was afraid of something like this. NMU was on a high after taking out Bowling Green, and the Mavs had looked lackluster last weekend against Ferris. Maybe this will be the wake-up call they needed.

        This team isn't as good as last year's squad. Any team that lost Marc Michaelis (has gotten time with the Canucks, currently on their taxi squad) Connor Mackey (time on the Flames, currently on the AHL Stockton Heat) Charlie Gerard and Ian Scheid (both regulars with the AHL Colorado Eagles, Scheid getting first-defensive-pairing minutes and power-play time) and Parker Tuomie (back in his native Germany, playing on a German Elite League team after being on the German national team) would have a hard time replacing them. Last year's squad I expected to make some noise in the NCAA tourney. This year, I just don't know, what with no inter-conference comparisons.

        They're not as good as last year, but better than they've been looking lately.
        Agreed. I first started noticing it with our penalty kill, and how it had dropped off from last year. Then I started thinking, who drove the kill last year? Rivera and French were the first two forwards over the boards, and then Michaelis (the school's all time shorty leader) would come on the ice. And of course, Mackey led the kill, and the power play as well. Tuomie and Scheid were our biggest power play scorers. That's a lot to replace.

        We had a very good weekend against BGSU, and it might have fooled us into thinking we have more here than we do, and that's shown up over the last couple weeks.
        On the other hand, we're definitely better than we showed yesterday. Just play hard next weekend, guys, and let the chips fall where they may.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

          Agreed. I first started noticing it with our penalty kill, and how it had dropped off from last year. Then I started thinking, who drove the kill last year? Rivera and French were the first two forwards over the boards, and then Michaelis (the school's all time shorty leader) would come on the ice. And of course, Mackey led the kill, and the power play as well. Tuomie and Scheid were our biggest power play scorers. That's a lot to replace.

          We had a very good weekend against BGSU, and it might have fooled us into thinking we have more here than we do, and that's shown up over the last couple weeks.
          On the other hand, we're definitely better than we showed yesterday. Just play hard next weekend, guys, and let the chips fall where they may.
          I'm one of those who stated they were as good as last year, and I said that after the Bowling Green sweep. Think I'll amend that to "they can play as good (well?) as last's year's team. " They sure looked like they were sleepwalking yesterday.

          Anyway, I agree with Purple about the wake-up call. They'll get a number two seed somewhere and hopefully be mindful that there will be no more embarrassing performances this season.

          Can someone tell me: Has there ever been a worse Mavs loss under Mike Hastings, or is my memory just too short?

          Comment


          • Back to the playoffs: Good luck to both Yooper teams tonight. I'm now believe the WCHA will get three teams into the tournament, just not sure who'll they'll be.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Double Major View Post
              Back to the playoffs: Good luck to both Yooper teams tonight. I'm now believe the WCHA will get three teams into the tournament, just not sure who'll they'll be.
              Knowing that my Mavs are already in, it will be strange to be a dispassionate hockey fan for tonight's championship game. Sadly, Bemidji fans won't have this luxury. I'm sure they'll be sweating it out, praying for an LSSU win.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Double Major View Post

                Can someone tell me: Has there ever been a worse Mavs loss under Mike Hastings, or is my memory just too short?
                Just last year, against St. Cloud in the Mariucci tournament. St. Cloud has been the one team that has pretty much had our number under Coach Hastings. He has a pretty decent record against everyone else.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Double Major View Post
                  Back to the playoffs: Good luck to both Yooper teams tonight. I'm now believe the WCHA will get three teams into the tournament, just not sure who'll they'll be.
                  I agree they'll get three, and I think we know 2 of them. But I think only one WCHA team wearing green is getting in.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Double Major View Post
                    ...the WCHA will get three teams into the tournament, just not sure who'll they'll be.
                    Mankato, LSSU and pending the result of tonight's game:
                    • If NMU wins, NMU is in via autobid
                    • If LSSU wins, Bemidji is in
                    A few weeks ago BGSU looked likely to make it but they played themselves right out of the NCAA tourney. NMU will only make the field as the autobid, too many regular season losses to make the field at large.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                    Comment


                    • Does anyone know if this game is on tv or being streamed
                      Gophers: The time is NOW!!!!!!!!!!!



                      "Top three finish in the WCHA! Get into the NCAAs, take a swing and see what happens." Don Lucia

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by sig View Post
                        Does anyone know if this game is on tv or being streamed
                        FloHockey has the stream. There is no live broadcast TV coverage.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Mankato, LSSU and pending the result of tonight's game:[LIST][*]If NMU wins, NMU is in via autobid[*]If LSSU wins, Bemidji is in
                          [/LIS.

                          Absolutely agree. Maybe Bemidji still gets in with an NMU victory, but they'll need a miracle and a couple of Covid cancellations to do it. Gonna be a nervous evening for their fans.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Double Major View Post


                            Absolutely agree. Maybe Bemidji still gets in with an NMU victory, but they'll need a miracle and a couple of Covid cancellations to do it. Gonna be a nervous evening for their fans.
                            I don't see any chance of that happening now regardless of the WCHA game result. St L just earned a spot in the NCAA tourney by winning the grueling 3-team ECAC conference tourney. If the ECAC gets two teams in and the NCHC ONLY gets four teams, NCHC fans are going to riot.
                            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-20-2021, 06:59 PM.
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                            Comment


                            • Well, here we are after an convincing win by LSSU. Glad to see them get in after so many dismal or mediocre years. Also, the Bemidji fans must be feeling a lot better today.

                              I noticed both USCHO pundits have got three WCHA teams in, and that all five Minnesota teams will make the tournament. If it turns that way, that will be a first!

                              We'll see how this all shakes out tonight. Looking forward to seeing all the reactions to the committee selections. I'll post mine here as well.

                              Comment


                              • Well just saw that St. Lawrence is out after a positive Covid test. How sad for the team! Feel bad they can't move on.

                                However, two words for the committee: Bemidji State

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X