• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sol Diablo
    replied
    Re: WCHA 2020-21: We Can Do Better than Two Bids and Eight Teams Exiting

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Nooks are headed back in January, I’m planning on making the trip. Easy from the PNW.
    ASU has not released their schedule yet. Typically the last team to do such as it takes time for negotiations to fill in the blank dates being there are not yet in a conference. I suspect most all the conferences have to get their schedules square within their conference before scheduling OOC. The schedule should be released in another week or 10 days.
    But, hopefully hockey is played in the Fall!
    Quite a few Alaska snowbirds down in Phx during the winter so once the arena is built it should be much easier to get tix.
    Hopefully we can meet up & I'll buy you an Alaskan Amber (best Dusseldorf Alt style beer made outside of Dusseldorf!) or maybe a San Tan Devil's Ale!

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    I looked at the last 4 years of teams visiting Tempe. From WCHA it has only been MTU, Huntsville and the Alaska schools. Not sure that it means anything other than thanks for coming!
    Nooks are headed back in January, I’m planning on making the trip. Easy from the PNW.

Leave a comment:

• mmf
    replied

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Without travel subsidies why would a team want to travel to ASU when they can easily fill their schedule with easier and cheaper travel? I see it as established teams doing ASU a favour by helping them schedule games. Any time there is a new kid on the block, I think it's in the best interest for all of college hockey when existing teams agree to play games. But they should not be expected to blow their budget just so a team in the desert can have a home series in a rink that is barely suitable for squirts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Why would ASU pay CCHA teams to play in Phoenix when other teams will fill their schedule and pay their own way? In five years CCHA teams will mostly be a skid mark in ASU’s rear view mirror. I doubt they need any favors from the CCHA.

But I’m glad you support scheduling that is in the best interest of college hockey. But that seems to ring a little hollow. The UA_ schools highly subsidize travel costs. The subsidy was set by agreement to equate to a net cost similar to what it cost a school to travel to their costliest non-UA_ school. I have no reason to believe that is not what is happening. Travel costs is a false narrative. Lots of BS there.

Maybe I'm wrong. We’ll know in 2021-22. If so, I'd expect LSSU and FSU coaching salaries and recruiting budgets to sky rocket with the tremendous travel savings. I have no idea what the other CCHA schools will do with their windfall.

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied

I guess besides the travel expense its pretty tough on the kids having to make trips. Not all teams want to or are willing to deal with the rugged travel, too difficult for them.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/...y-team-travel/

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied

I looked at the last 4 years of teams visiting Tempe. From WCHA it has only been MTU, Huntsville and the Alaska schools. Not sure that it means anything other than thanks for coming!

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Those tickets & hotels to Phoenix in January & February can actually run more than the Alaska trips.
    Only if you stay at a resort, otherwise they are comparable to anywhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied

Without travel subsidies why would a team want to travel to ASU when they can easily fill their schedule with easier and cheaper travel? I see it as established teams doing ASU a favour by helping them schedule games. Any time there is a new kid on the block, I think it's in the best interest for all of college hockey when existing teams agree to play games. But they should not be expected to blow their budget just so a team in the desert can have a home series in a rink that is barely suitable for squirts.

I think you are onto something here. Maybe teams that have such tight budgets that they can't travel much should change from D1 hockey to D2, D3 or go club. Much cheaper for them. Of maybe we follow the lead of college football. We set up a D1a (FBS) & D1aa (FCS) with different funding requirements. D1a can then pay D1aa to come play them.

Leave a comment:

• Sol Diablo
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Tell that to Huntsville and see what they say.
    Good question! I don't know anybody there to talk to. What have you heard? I have heard on various article discussion sites that some folks thought they and the Alaska schools got ripped off after having paid NCAA fees, then WCHA fees, then paying WCHA teams to travel to play them, then getting dumped by WCHA. Some thought that it was barely legal extortion to have to pay teams to play them after paying both NCAA & WCHA fees. I suppose it just the vocal few that felt that way.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Last I heard ASU already hung up the phone on them.
    Rule #421: Never ask a Power 5 school to pay for anything.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    i don't think ASU will lower it's standards and join the CCHA.
    Last I heard ASU already hung up the phone on them.

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Hockey
    replied

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Those tickets & hotels to Phoenix in January & February can actually run more than the Alaska trips.
    i don't think ASU will lower it's standards and join the CCHA.

Leave a comment:

• MavHockey14
    replied

Preach.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    Sounds good. So how about those high level hockey schools schedule ASU? Both have to agree to a schedule. ASU should not have to pay their travel costs to Tempe just like ASU should not require those schools to pay ASU's travel costs. Its a cost of having a college hockey team.
    Trust me, you’re pushing a boulder uphill on the travel subsidy issue with regards to any WCHA program that doesn’t have Fairbanks, Anchorage, or Huntsville in its name. ASU is a great scheduling partner for UAF...you actually pay your own way!

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MTUHuskies
    replied

I agree wholeheartedly with you. But after the new facility is up, if teams request ASU to pay for their travel costs and only AH schools are willing to show and pay their own way then I would not say they are gaming it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X