X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Mel Pearson had something to say about it in the B1g last week as well.
    Who?

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by net presence View Post

The WCHA has been either 1st or 2nd in average number of penalties called per game for at least the last 5 years. I think we need to acknowledge the simple fact that, outside of Mankato, the rest of our teams are simply lacking in the high-end talent that is the norm for the NCHC, Big, and Hockey East. Especially in the are of skating. This obviously diminishes the ability for the players to create separation from each other. Which in turn, makes it seem like there's more incidental contact and scrums down low. If our officials are leading Div. I hockey in penalties per game as long as they have, I don't think we can blame them for our perception of reduced quality of play (e.g. we're allowing so much more obstruction to occur).
    We can and we can't. Coaches coach game plans to give themselves the best chance to win. And they are allowed to coach that plan, and I'm sure it's even said in practices, because "they're not going to call every penalty." This leads to a problem with the consistency of penalty calls throughout a game. How many times have of checked the box score after a game and saw the number of penalties was equal? Even though you know there is a large gap in talent level between the two teams. And how many of those are retaliations?

Leave a comment:

• net presence
    replied
    Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post

Would make for some wild games if they started calling by NHL rules. The unfortunate part is some teams are able to compete in D1 simply because it's allowed. Some of them still aren't very competitive. It may result in the resurgence of the Division 2 level.
    The WCHA has been either 1st or 2nd in average number of penalties called per game for at least the last 5 years. I think we need to acknowledge the simple fact that, outside of Mankato, the rest of our teams are simply lacking in the high-end talent that is the norm for the NCHC, Big, and Hockey East. Especially in the are of skating. This obviously diminishes the ability for the players to create separation from each other. Which in turn, makes it seem like there's more incidental contact and scrums down low. If our officials are leading Div. I hockey in penalties per game as long as they have, I don't think we can blame them for our perception of reduced quality of play (e.g. we're allowing so much more obstruction to occur).

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    I have to say I am THOROUGHLY sick of all the holding, grabbing, and general interference that teams get way with in our league. If you didn't see it, Mel Pearson had something to say about it in the B1g last week as well.
    Would make for some wild games if they started calling by NHL rules. The unfortunate part is some teams are able to compete in D1 simply because it's allowed. Some of them still aren't very competitive. It may result in the resurgence of the Division 2 level.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I have to say I am THOROUGHLY sick of all the holding, grabbing, and general interference that teams get way with in our league. If you didn't see it, Mel Pearson had something to say about it in the B1g last week as well.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    I've watched all of Huntsville's games I can and most of the Ferris games. I'd say they are both better than the bottom teams last year. Ferris has some work to do to get out of the basement. Lake State is a mature team with a lot of upperclassmen and will be tough for everyone. The top of the league is better than last year with the exception that Mankato might not be quite as good. Looking at college hockey as a whole, Minnesota and Michigan stand out as top teams, the NCHC is good but not unbeatable at all, and HE, well they haven't played a ton of games. Just my two cents. If we had the top 3 teams get in they would do just fine IMHO.
    Not willing to call the skunks a "top" team yet.

Considering they have so many losses and sit tied for 5th in the Big Ten with a sub-.500 record in conference, they may (at times) pass the eye test but the proof is in results. With so many young players as the core of their team, they are inherently susceptible to inconsistent performances (like a 9-0 win followed by a 3-2 loss). They are of course capable of stepping up against any team - but in their last 8 games they're 2-6.

I'd favor the Mavericks or the Falcons in a matchup against them. They're a toss-up against other WCHA teams just because you never know what you're going to get.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 01-15-2021, 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    This weekend's UAH at BSU series has been postponed to March 5 and 6.

Leave a comment:

• Laker Dude
    replied
    Originally posted by BSUBeavs View Post
    Much needed win. Thus far it has been a bit of a disappointing season but hopefully this can get it back on track.
    Missing Rosen and Zmolek for most of the year has probably led to some of BSU's struggles so far, especially on the power play. I say Rosen was back in for the games at BG.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    I've watched all of Huntsville's games I can and most of the Ferris games. I'd say they are both better than the bottom teams last year. Ferris has some work to do to get out of the basement. Lake State is a mature team with a lot of upperclassmen and will be tough for everyone. The top of the league is better than last year with the exception that Mankato might not be quite as good. Looking at college hockey as a whole, Minnesota and Michigan stand out as top teams, the NCHC is good but not unbeatable at all, and HE, well they haven't played a ton of games. Just my two cents. If we had the top 3 teams get in they would do just fine IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied
    Originally posted by BSUBeavs View Post
    Much needed win. Thus far it has been a bit of a disappointing season but hopefully this can get it back on track.
    This season is going to be hard to guage and there is no real time to "find" yourselves. Against BG, they hung in both games with a top 10 ranked team that had five extra games under their belts.

Up next is Huntsville at home, who just swept Ferris in Huntsville. Not sure what that says about Ferris....

Leave a comment:

• BSUBeavs
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
    Congrats Beavers on your 4-3 OT win at #6 Bowling Green. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    I wonder if Bob Daniels is on the hot seat at Ferris State?
    He's been there long enough that he can call his own shot.

Truthfully, I think he will before too long.

Leave a comment:

• LSSULaker889294
    replied
    Sad to hear Nmu's longtime PA announcer retire. He did a great job and his Willllldcat goal announcements were cool despite them coming against my Lakers.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew J Carter
    replied
    Congrats Beavers on your 4-3 OT win at #6 Bowling Green. :-)

Leave a comment:

• DrunkTrainPolka
    replied
    Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    I wonder if Bob Daniels is on the hot seat at Ferris State?
    i think he will 'retire' soon (after the last nWCHA season? after first nCCHA season?) - he will be 62 this coming march.

"If you were born in 1959 your full retirement age is 66 and 10 months. You can start your Social Security retirement benefits as early as age 62, but the benefit amount you receive will be less than your full retirement benefit amount."
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 01-04-2021, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X