Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lakersparty
    replied
    Nice to see 4 WCHA teams ranked in the latest USCHO poll -- Minnesota State #3, Bowling Green #14, Michigan Tech #18, and Lake Superior State #20. Bemidji and Northern Michigan also getting votes.

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied
    Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
    I know most everyone says not to look at the computers this year, but I did anyway and the WCHA looks nice in the Pairwise and KRACH. I hope the "eye test" or whatever they are using recognizes that there are some talented teams in the conference this year. Minnesota State has obviously separated itself, but teams 2 through 6 all have some positives this season.
    Good weekend for the UP teams. Still a lot of hockey to be played, but the MacNaughton may be coming down to the rescheduled MSU-Tech series the first weekend in March.

Leave a comment:

• lakersparty
    replied
    I know most everyone says not to look at the computers this year, but I did anyway and the WCHA looks nice in the Pairwise and KRACH. I hope the "eye test" or whatever they are using recognizes that there are some talented teams in the conference this year. Minnesota State has obviously separated itself, but teams 2 through 6 all have some positives this season.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Those games were closer than the score. I think though that BG's whole plan is to intercept the puck in the neutral zone and counter-attack. But on a big rink like that it's harder to do. Second they are really good on special teams and with 5 on 5 not so much. But the special teams weren't all that great this week, credit to mankato for that. Third Mankato played really well.

Leave a comment:

• mbenecke
    replied
    I'm here to eat some crow.

Mankato flat out stomped BG both nights this past weekend. They're not equals until BG can get one (or two, or three, or maybe even four) over on them, and I think it's pretty clear Minnesota State will now run away with the McNaughton Cup, barring something catastrophic.

Respect to that program - they're the class of the league, and while I think BG is still a borderline top 10 team and arguably the next best thing in the conference, there's clearly still a good amount of separation between the two teams/programs. I look forward to potentially seeing them again in a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockey
    replied
    League announced he got three games

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    IMHO Cullen should sit until Spooner comes back. Know it's unrealistic but still...

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

There are veterans all up and down the lineup and they can make plays. The Falcons are a formidable team. I'll be curious to see if they can have the same kind of jump this weekend on the road against the best program in the league.
    And now they need to break the CHN jinx in the process. Horrible timing for that.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied
    Originally posted by BGDrew View Post

Some frustration with the piece is warranted when the two reasons listed for Tech getting swept was “...spotty officiating to noticeable fatigue from an unplanned break due to Covid just a week prior.”

Tech got their asses kicked in every facet of the game this past weekend. The grand conspiracy of every official being anti-Tech is ridiculous.

Best of luck the rest of the way, but there’s nothing wrong with admitting when your team gets it’s *** kicked.
    We've now seen the high end of what BG can do. The first period on Friday was as good as they can look. It was pretty obvious that they were worked up over the Gould angle with how many times the bench was up beating on the boards any time he did something. They were riding high on emotion to add to their talent.

It wasn't sustainable through the whole weekend. That's not an insult, no team can play strictly on emotion and keep that up indefinitely. They had stretches where they were back on their heels only for some fortunate penalties to help turn the tide.

There are veterans all up and down the lineup and they can make plays. The Falcons are a formidable team. I'll be curious to see if they can have the same kind of jump this weekend on the road against the best program in the league.

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied
    Originally posted by BGDrew View Post

Some frustration with the piece is warranted when the two reasons listed for Tech getting swept was “...spotty officiating to noticeable fatigue from an unplanned break due to Covid just a week prior.”

Tech got their asses kicked in every facet of the game this past weekend. The grand conspiracy of every official being anti-Tech is ridiculous.

Best of luck the rest of the way, but there’s nothing wrong with admitting when your team gets it’s *** kicked.
    Well let's just say we disagree on some of those points.

Leave a comment:

• BGDrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

a) I'm glad someone got that reference. It took everything I had not to end it with Wooooo! Since MnSU's mascot is a cow, a Mooooo might have been better.

b) Ugh! That Ohio mentality, if someone, even on that school's fan site, questions your "greatness" it shall forever burned into your minds. I didn't think we were playing that school in Columbus in football. They are the only other people I know who are so easily offended.

We were feeling good about our team and though we had a chance at a split. Looks like BG is a better than we thought, Tech isn't recovered from Winter Break and Covid, and we have some things to tighten up.

I can't speak for others, but bring it on. With us having a significant fan base within a day trip of BG. It is always good to have competition.

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

Rivalries these days are all relative I guess. I personally get more spun up for a WMU or Miami State match. I find it hard to hate on any of the teams in our league.
    Rivalries don't need to be geographic to be good. The Tech NMU is one that is easy to get excited about. With BG, it is more competition. There have been some classic games between Tech and BG in the nWCHA. Each game means something, both teams play hard, and you're never sure what is going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• TalonsUpPuckDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post

a) I'm glad someone got that reference. It took everything I had not to end it with Wooooo! Since MnSU's mascot is a cow, a Mooooo might have been better.

b) Ugh! That Ohio mentality, if someone, even on that school's fan site, questions your "greatness" it shall forever burned into your minds. I didn't think we were playing that school in Columbus in football. They are the only other people I know who are so easily offended.

We were feeling good about our team and though we had a chance at a split. Looks like BG is a better than we thought, Tech isn't recovered from Winter Break and Covid, and we have some things to tighten up.

I can't speak for others, but bring it on. With us having a significant fan base within a day trip of BG. It is always good to have competition.
    Rivalries these days are all relative I guess. I personally get more spun up for a WMU or Miami State match. I find it hard to hate on any of the teams in our league.

Leave a comment:

• Lost_Husky
    replied
    Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post

a) Rick Flair notwithstanding
    b) Why BG guys are spun up right now

https://techhockeyguide.com/2021/01/...wling-green-3/

No comment on this past weekend's outcome.

As I've said before, BG's natural rival doesn't play hockey ("And Toledo Still Sucks!") and our historic rivals aren't in our conference, so I guess Tech will have to do ;-)

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied
    Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    Not remotely "blown off the ice." You apparently looked at nothing but the final score. Shots on goal: MSU 36, BSU 10. That's not being "blown off the ice." One of Bemidji's goals was an empty-netter flung the entire length of the ice.

MSU had their backup goalie in to get him some work. Four other starters were out with injuries. Coach Hastings said “If today’s a playoff game, you might have seen a different lineup."
    Non conference games against conference opponents at this point are a crap shoot. It's better to play some games than to just sit and wait, but what each team puts on the ice isn't the same as a conference game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X