X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augustana University pursuing D1 hockey

Rumor per Buccigross.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Buccigros...99130997575681
    Last edited by slowe; 06-15-2021, 10:21 PM.

Northern Sun Hockey Conference confirmed

(2013 eat your heart out)

In all seriousness though, fantastic if true. Would really make Moorhead wonder if they should’ve pulled the trigger a decade ago.
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 06-16-2021, 12:08 AM.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

As much as it sucks to think of UAA, UAH, RMU and possibly UAF disappearing in such short order… it’s amazing to think that we’ll still have come out ahead in terms of number of programs in the last decade.

The timespan where we lost Fairfield, Findlay, Iona and Wayne State probably feels similar, but I think the landscape still came out ahead in that same time frame as well.

Of course, the recent losses are IMO <much> worse in terms of the size of the fanbases bad scope of the history of the teams, but… the sport has been here before.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Matt Zimmer, local reporter, chimes in to agree that the school is adding a D1 hockey team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/argusmatt...02287156809732

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Northern Sun Hockey Conference confirmed

(2013 eat your heart out)

In all seriousness though, fantastic if true. Would really make Moorhead wonder if they should’ve pulled the trigger a decade ago.
          The problem with Augustana is they're waiting for a D1 conference invite so they can move up from D2. The Summit League snubbed them in favor of St. Thomas. So while I would welcome Augie to the hockey fraternity, I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

The problem with Augustana is they're waiting for a D1 conference invite so they can move up from D2. The Summit League snubbed them in favor of St. Thomas. So while I would welcome Augie to the hockey fraternity, I'm not holding my breath.
            Is there a reason Augustana couldn't play Division I hockey while remaining Division II in other sports? Most of the WCHA consists of such schools.
            Bowling Green: 1984 National Champion

Comment

Augustana confirms it’s true. They plan to “officially” announce it late summer or early fall. It’s unclear what they’re still sorting out. Hopefully it’s not additional funding.

https://goaugie.com/news/2021/6/16/g...ce-hockey.aspx

“The university plans to add a men's hockey program that would compete at the NCAA Division I level. The addition of such a program will be the first of its kind in the state, and will be game-changing for Augustana and Sioux Falls as one of just over 60 schools in the country offering Division I men's hockey.

Augustana is grateful to T. Denny Sanford for the lead gift to facilitate this extraordinary opportunity.

The university plans to share more information later this summer or early fall as more details for the new athletics program are finalized.”

Comment

Think they get admitted to the CCHA?

Comment

1) isn't the moratorium on playing up in one sport still a thing? 2) perhaps they found a different DI conference besides the Summit to take them in? 3) them + Lindenwood would round out the CCHA without increasing travel too greatly. 4) LIU last year, Auggie this. Illinois is a joke. These tiny schools seem to be able to $#!+ rather than get off the pot. Meanwhile, the Illini are still constipated as ever...
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    1) isn't the moratorium on playing up in one sport still a thing? 2) perhaps they found a different DI conference besides the Summit to take them in? 3) them + Lindenwood would round out the CCHA without increasing travel too greatly. 4) LIU last year, Auggie this. Illinois has become a joke. These tiny schools seem to be able to $#!+ rather than get off the pot. Meanwhile, the Illini are still constipated as ever...
                    1.) If there is no championship offered in your division and sport, you can play up one division. As there is no D-II hockey championship, any D-II school starting a hockey team can play D-I.

2.) Unlikely? Who else would want them?

3.) That's what I was thinking.

4.) I wouldn't put LIU, Illinois, and Augie on the same pot. It seems like Augie is going to actually spend money and support a D-I program. LIU is running a D-III operation that is D-I in name only. Illinois could do that in a second, but if you are looking to make a $100M investment it takes some time. Augie's money seems to be coming from a single source, so that is a quicker process, too.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post

1.) If there is no championship offered in your division and sport, you can play up one division. As there is no D-II hockey championship, any D-II school starting a hockey team can play D-I.
                      But there WAS a moratorium. Shortly after AHA(MAAC) and the CHA dumped a bunch of new DII teams into DI, it was shut down for a while. I didn't remember if or when said moratorium was lifted.
                      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                      B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                      CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                      ECAC:
                      HEA: UMass
                      NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                      Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

I would also like to point out that the article on the front page of USCHO is incorrect. The article states: "To facilitate the addition of Division I men’s ice hockey, Augustana will need to elevate all of its athletics program to Division I."

However, in the NCAA Division I manual, Bylaw 20.8.2, we find:

"20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship is Conducted. An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years.

20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw 20.9.1.1."

Not only can Augustana and Lindenwood start hockey programs, they can join D-I, AND they can give the full complement of scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by moose97 View Post

But there WAS a moratorium. Shortly after AHA(MAAC) and the CHA dumped a bunch of new DII teams into DI, it was shut down for a while. I didn't remember if or when said moratorium was lifted.
                          The moratorium does still exist, but the lack of a D-II championship creates an exception to the moratorium. Essentially, for men's ice hockey, it's a moratorium on D-III's.

20.4.1 Multidivision Classification. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any subsequent academic year.

The only other exception is 20.4.1.1. which lets a D-II or D-III taking advantage of 20.4.1 (ie grandfathered move up prior to 2010) move up a single sport of the opposite gender. RIT used this to move up women's hockey.

Comment

I think the important distinction is that Augustana is technically viewed by the NCAA as Division II programs. Because there is no Division II championship, the Division II programs can play in the Division I hockey championship. Augustana would not be creating a Division I program. It would be creating a Division II program that is eligible for the Division I championship.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                              Augustana would not be creating a Division I program. It would be creating a Division II program that is eligible for the Division I championship.
                              As you already pointed out it would be a DI program, as it would have to follow all DI requirements.

On the women's side it's different, as the NCAA has an open championship. However, I have been told all the DII schools with teams in the NEWHA have used 20.8.2 and declared they will compete as DI teams under DI requirements.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                              X