X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Good for him. Admittedly I was disappointed in Willman's lack of production in his grad transfer year @ BU, given that he had been a productive player on offensively-challenged teams @ Brown. I wonder if contributing factors for that lack of production were 1) Him coming off a major knee injury the previous year; 2) Coaching

Definitely both. Knee injuries are a huge limitation for any hockey player and it takes a while for such an injury to recover. And I don't know what happened to the Brown thread here but I don't think the folks there were ever too fond of Whittet or the apathetic school administration. There's a reason Brown has played poorly for so many years

Leave a comment:

• Friend_of_BU_Hockey
    replied
    Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    I don't know if anyone's caught this yet, but Max Willman has played several games with Philly. Talk about determination and perseverance.
    Good for him. Admittedly I was disappointed in Willman's lack of production in his grad transfer year @ BU, given that he had been a productive player on offensively-challenged teams @ Brown. I wonder if contributing factors for that lack of production were 1) Him coming off a major knee injury the previous year; 2) Coaching

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Also, 3 on 3 OT would be better if there was a way to outlaw the leave the offensive zone intentionally to retain possession philosophy. Every team does it but it can make 3 on 3 extremely boring.
    So how do you enforce that? Blow the whistle and stop play? A team has worked for and achieved possession, explain a better way to change lines without risking losing the puck and giving up a possible odd man rush.

Leave a comment:

• buoldtimer
    replied
    I don't know if anyone's caught this yet, but Max Willman has played several games with Philly. Talk about determination and perseverance.

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Originally posted by RossiRules View Post

Yes, and it's been that way for 40 years. These chants have actually been in place for decades.
    There was apparently some new cheers that were really low brow if it’s true.

Leave a comment:

• RossiRules
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemonade View Post

BU was missing Matt Brown as well who I think maybe their best forward. Both games were really evenly played and great college hockey games.

On a side note did anyone attend the Saturday game at NU? I have heard from two people that student section was out of hand with derogatory chants. This typical at NU?
    Yes, and it's been that way for 40 years. These chants have actually been in place for decades.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Obviously this isn't how it works, but if you added one goal to every game their record would be 6-4-4.
    and if mookie’s auntie had balls she’d be his uncle

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Also, 3 on 3 OT would be better if there was a way to outlaw the leave the offensive zone intentionally to retain possession philosophy. Every team does it but it can make 3 on 3 extremely boring.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    Ha you could clearly hear the F BU chants on the TV broadcast

Leave a comment:

• Lemonade
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post

What would their record be if Commesso and the D gave up one fewer goal each game? When you don't have offense, you'd better have defense. Lowell has demonstrated that. NU won without Colangelo, Riley Hughes (both drafted) and the Jackson twins, all first or second liners. Bu was mostly complete, except for Boucher. What's with Cockerill? He a talented player and terrific skater. Sooner or later he will contribute on the scoresheet. O'Brien looked as good as I've seen and his linemate from Thayer looked even better.

Both goalies were terrific. If the saves looked routine, it probably was due to good positioning and skill on their part. I've tried playing goalie (in practice). I don't ever make fun of goalies. I don't know how they do what they do.

With a bit of luck, our teams will meet again in the Beanpot finals. I'd pay good money to watch that match!
    BU was missing Matt Brown as well who I think maybe their best forward. Both games were really evenly played and great college hockey games.

On a side note did anyone attend the Saturday game at NU? I have heard from two people that student section was out of hand with derogatory chants. This typical at NU?
    Last edited by Lemonade; 11-22-2021, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ryecheers
    replied
    Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Obviously this isn't how it works, but if you added one goal to every game their record would be 6-4-4.
    What would their record be if Commesso and the D gave up one fewer goal each game? When you don't have offense, you'd better have defense. Lowell has demonstrated that. NU won without Colangelo, Riley Hughes (both drafted) and the Jackson twins, all first or second liners. Bu was mostly complete, except for Boucher. What's with Cockerill? He a talented player and terrific skater. Sooner or later he will contribute on the scoresheet. O'Brien looked as good as I've seen and his linemate from Thayer looked even better.

Both goalies were terrific. If the saves looked routine, it probably was due to good positioning and skill on their part. I've tried playing goalie (in practice). I don't ever make fun of goalies. I don't know how they do what they do.

With a bit of luck, our teams will meet again in the Beanpot finals. I'd pay good money to watch that match!

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied
    Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

BU has a 7.7% shooting percentage, placing them 47th out of 59 D-1 programs in that category. With that said, it's not clear how much better their record might be if - taking away that 8-goal Merrimack game - they were averaging 1 more goal per game on offense.

Leave a comment:

• Friend_of_BU_Hockey
    replied

Interesting take. BU tends to make every goalie look great. NU had many more grade A scoring chances. Levi made routine saves and didn’t have to make any real tough saves in either game. That speaks to the lack of BU offense and creativity. BU had 3 breakaways and didn’t even get a shot off…shootout attempts were embarrassing that is when they even hit the net or didn’t fumble the puck into the corner without even taking a shot.
    BU has a 7.7% shooting percentage, placing them 47th out of 59 D-1 programs in that category. With that said, it's not clear how much better their record might be if - taking away that 8-goal Merrimack game - they were averaging 1 more goal per game on offense.

Also, not surprisingly, BU is 47th in the country in faceoff percentage, having won only 46.6%.
    Last edited by Friend_of_BU_Hockey; 11-22-2021, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Friend_of_BU_Hockey
    replied

The production just isn’t there from the forwards. Cockerill has 1 point this entire year. So many players underperforming. My hope is Matt brown comes back, lines get set and they can figure it out. Defense has been much better over the last 4 games vs top competition so that’s promising. They are limiting the odd man rushes and breakaways that they were giving up earlier in the season.
    Forwards have scored 25 goals in 14 games (including the 8-goal Merrimack game). Didn't think that the veteran "leaders" in Cockerill, Amonte, Kaufman would have a total of 3 points (1G, 2A) between them in 33 cumulative games played. O'Brien, Tuch and Brown have missed a cumulative total of 26 (out of 42) games so far, and have a total of 6 points (3G, 3A) between them.

Basically, 6 of the forwards that were expected to play regularly and be key contributors have 9 points (4G, 5A) between them in 49 cumulative games.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied
    I agree with the prevailing wisdom out here about Levi. Solid goalie for sure, but in the Friday game at least I don't recall him having to make any bullsh it saves on grade A scoring chances. He's positioned well and doesn't let in any softies, but you ought to expect that out of your goalie.

Also agree on Albie. We're not playing the iron of college hockey right now and the team still has one win, in OT, in the last 8 games? If that's the new standard for success, let's just give Albie a contract extension right now. If not, he still needs to be relieved of his coaching duties as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X