This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
    A win is a win in hockey East. I just listened to Albie’s post came and he stated “Commesso was throwing up between the fist and second periods with food poisoning”….and he played.
    That reminds me of the 1988 SIT. Cornell was playing Bowling Green in the first game and D'Alessio, the Big Red's goalie signals to the bench and then comes racing over while the backup goalie goes into the game. Next thing D'Alessio his puking into a helmet while the game continues. After several minutes he puts his helmet and gloves back on and at the next whistle he goes back in and plays the rest of the game.

At least Commesso had the curtesy to wait until the intermissions. ;-)

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

It certainly felt like that game was in question but UMass only got within 2 goals.
      UMass got to within one goal, 5-4, before BU scored the empty netter.

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      (they do have games in hand)
      No, games in hand means you haven't played them yet, while BU has. However, BU has banked the points, while the other teams haven't done so yet.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        UMass got to within one goal, 5-4, before BU scored the empty netter.

No, games in hand means you haven't played them yet, while BU has. However, BU has banked the points, while the other teams haven't done so yet.

Sean
        You are correct. Thats what you get while I rush a post while in traffic. I meant other teams have games in hand as they have played less. I forgot it was 5-4. It felt like Umass was dominating so much it must have washed out of my memory...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          That reminds me of the 1988 SIT. Cornell was playing Bowling Green in the first game and D'Alessio, the Big Red's goalie signals to the bench and then comes racing over while the backup goalie goes into the game. Next thing D'Alessio his puking into a helmet while the game continues. After several minutes he puts his helmet and gloves back on and at the next whistle he goes back in and plays the rest of the game.

At least Commesso had the curtesy to wait until the intermissions. ;-)

Sean
          I can't imagine playing goalie while throwing up between periods. The up and down and moving and then knowing I can't hit the toilet because I am out in the net. You could tell something wasn't right because he was kneeling during breaks and I have never seen that.

Comment

• What made me worry most was how quickly UMass scored after Cockerill made it 5-2. That fifth goal should have started to put the nail in UMass but their response was quick and dangerous. It was like BU's fifth goal meant nothing. Don't forget, prior to their fourth goal they thought they had scored. They could have easily tied it up. I get nervous when BU scores first because it seems like they think they're all set and when an opponent scores, it affects them mentally.

Comment

• Hmm forgotten about that Vermont loss already

The Terriers continued their second-half run by improving their record this semester to 6-0-1 by staving off a UMass comeback. I’ve got how it happened here: hockey.dailyfreepress.com/2022/01/26/ter…

Comment

• Originally posted by BU93 View Post

I guess I didn’t realize it changed either! Of course I only see 1 or 2 home games in person a year since I graduated.
                I've been living overseas for 25 years, so it has been a long time since I went to to a game...
                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  What made me worry most was how quickly UMass scored after Cockerill made it 5-2.
                  Yes, that was the eighth time this season that BU has allowed a goal within 2 minutes of scoring a goal.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  I get nervous when BU scores first because it seems like they think they're all set and when an opponent scores, it affects them mentally.
                  Maybe, but BU is now 10-2-1 when scoring first and just 2-8-2 when giving up the first goal.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• I still want a new coach, but I am happy to see some better play on the ice.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      I still want a new coach, but I am happy to see some better play on the ice.
                      I agree. And the recruiting strategy has to change - it just makes no sense to go after one-and-done types as an SOP. We've experienced it over the past two decades and have 1 title, 2 frozen fours, and 5 HE regular season titles to show for it. Not bad and most programs would sign up for that but we can and should be better.

We had one generational player (Eichel) over that period (love him and he made me adopt the Sabres and will do the same with the Knights), but the overall performance levels and amount of frustration makes it so much harder to get excited about BU hockey as compared to previous decades. I think other alumni, students, and the casual fans agree.

Time for a strategy and coaching change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terrier86 View Post

I agree. And the recruiting strategy has to change - it just makes no sense to go after one-and-done types as an SOP. We've experienced it over the past two decades and have 1 title, 2 frozen fours, and 5 HE regular season titles to show for it. Not bad and most programs would sign up for that but we can and should be better.

We had one generational player (Eichel) over that period (love him and he made me adopt the Sabres and will do the same with the Knights), but the overall performance levels and amount of frustration makes it so much harder to get excited about BU hockey as compared to previous decades. I think other alumni, students, and the casual fans agree.

Time for a strategy and coaching change.
                        Well then welcome to the world of 22 year old freshman and 25 year old players all the roster.

Comment

Well then welcome to the world of 22 year old freshman and 25 year old players all the roster.
                          It doesn't have to be all that one-sided - it can be a mix of age and experience; it'll just have to be a good head coach and staff to be successful at it. We have the facilities and reputation/legacy to be able to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            I still want a new coach, but I am happy to see some better play on the ice.
                            With BU's resources, mediocre is the very least this team should ever be.

The Terriers may finish with a winning record this year, and might win a watered-down Beanpot. That could buy Albie more time, even though a lot of BU hockey fans don't think he can get the most for the program.

As for "generational players," Eichel heads the list in this decade. But Keller, McEvoy and Zegras aren't far off.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

I wonder how many people going to the games today even remember when Peter Gunn was the entry music?
                              Peter Gunn apparently was Jack Kelley's favorite TV show in the early 1960s, and he had the band adopt it as BU's entrance music.

The band still opens with it, then switches in what should be mid-stream. Why not just stick with tradition?

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post

Peter Gunn apparently was Jack Kelley's favorite TV show in the early 1960s, and he had the band adopt it as BU's entrance music.

The band still opens with it, then switches in what should be mid-stream. Why not just stick with tradition?
                                Has the band played Peter Gunn at all lately? Maybe I’m just missing it (or losing my mind) but I don’t think I’ve noticed them entering to that in years? With that said I’ve only been to a few games this year and was on the later side to a couple of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X